Mech Faction

Got an idea for a cool Primal Horizon faction? Post it here!

Sound good so far?

Yes
27%
No
33%
Could use some work
40%

Total votes: 15

Mattman154
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall

Mech Faction

Post by Mattman154 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:56 am

So I remember writing a short book on something like this a long time ago, and some of my ideas were ripped from games and whatnot, I just gave it all some flavor.

The sky was clear, the sun was shining bright, and the grass in front of the large house was as green as ever. A black truck pulled up into the driveway, and out from it stumbled a man with a large bottle in his hand. He slammed the door shut behind him and proceeded up the gravel walkway to the door, fumbling for his keys and cursing under his breath. They jingled as they lifted from his pocket and entered the lock, granting him access to the house. After setting the bottle down on the mail stand, he made his way to the living room, where with a thud he fell into the black leather recliner he had bought not too long ago, closing his eyes and drifting into a deep sleep.

The day had faded away into a black night; the clouds had made their way back to the city and the rain began to pour. The boom of thunder and lightning had awoken the man from his state of rest. He woke up groggy, rubbing his head to attempt to remove the throbbing pain. Whenever the sky would open up with the sound of a hammer hitting an anvil his head would throb uncontrollably. The stairs creaked as he made his way to the bedroom, stopping only because of the sudden urge to urinate.

The lights flickered on as he stepped into the small barren room, obviously decorated by a single man. He lifted the toilet seat and did his business, stopping at the sink to wash his hands. In a haze, he looked into the mirror and stared at the image of himself. Five O'clock shadow covered his face, and his unkempt hair was standing in every which direction. Even though he was in his military formal wear, he thought to himself that he looked nothing like an officer of the U.S. Army. The collar of his jacket had been turned up and crinkled, his shoulders were out of alignment, and there was a stain on his white undershirt from his earlier tirade in the nearby bar.

Toweling his hands off, he gave another look into the mirror and snickered as he tossed the towel onto the counter, flicked off the lights and proceeded to his bedroom. After Removing his clothes, being careful to hang them properly in the closet to avoid damage, he dropped his keys and wallet in the night stand next to his bed and laid down. Staring out the window as he watched the rain and lighting assault the city, eventually drifting into a more calm sleep.

The storm had rolled passed while he was still in a deep sleep. Birds were back outside, chirping away as the wind rustled through the trees. The bed squeaked as he stood up, rubbed his head and proceeded back to the bathroom to urinate.

The morning routine for him went by as usual. He awoke, showered, made breakfast, then went on his morning jog. Today, as he opened the door and stretched his muscles on the gravel walkway, he observed a black car rolling down the street. Stretching stopped, and a two men exited from the car which was now parked alongside his stretch of sidewalk. They were dressed in formal military dress, and he recognized their rank as a general and a lieutenant.

"G'morning sir" He said as he extended his hand out to the general. The general took his hand and shook it a few times before letting go, the lieutenant doing the same.

"Good Morning Captain Mills" Said the general. A quick glimpse to his chest revealed the words 'General Luther'. "Quite the storm we had last night, you think?"

"Yes Sir, they've been happening alot more frequently these days, nobody seems to be able to explain them." Mills responded, bending down and grabbing his toes, holding the position for a few seconds. "Is there a reason for your visit, Sir? Not that it's not welcome."

"How old are you, Captain Mills?" Said the Lieutenant.

"I'm Thirty-two, Sir" Said the confused man. "Why do you ask?"

"May we talk inside, Captain?" Asked the General. A nod followed and the three men proceeded into the house, heading into the living room where they all sat in a set of chairs. The Lieutenant pulled out a briefcase and laid it on the table, unlocking the combination lock and pulling a manilla folder from it and placing it on the table.

"Captain Mills..."

"Call me Ethan," responded Mills, laying back in his chair and resting his hands on top of his head.

"Ethan, I need your personal guarantee that everything discussed here today will remain amongst the three of us. I'm sure you know what happens if that contract is broken." Said the General, followed by a nod from the Captain.

The Lieutenant smiled, pulling a glossy picture out of the folder and handing it to Ethan. Ethan looked at it with a confused look on his face. He gave the picture back to the Lieutenant and asked what was so important about that.

"The military has been busy designing a top secret weapon for use in everyday combat scenarios. Not a weapon of mass destruction, or another precision missile. This creation will boost our soldiers abilities 100 fold! Imagine being the pilot, not of a plane or a helicopter, but of a Mechanized Soldier!" Ethan could tell that the Lieutenant was getting excited at his own explanation of this new creation.

"It's an interesting concept, but what does it have to do with me?" The General smiled and entered the conversation.

"We have the prototype developed, every system checks out and is good to go, we just need someone to pilot it..."
Last edited by Mattman154 on Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

Mattman154

Re: Mech Faction

Post by Mattman154 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:19 am

So that would be a portion of my background story if this faction were to ever make it into the game.

So what is a Mechanized Soldier? Imagine shows such as Gundam, Games such as MechWarrior or Starsiege. Piloted by one person, and giving them the strength of an army at the palm of their hand. Mechs could themselves be used for everyday purposes such as cargo handling or transportation. Why can't they be used for war?

The Event happens, the government was only able to put a number of successful mech prototypes into production. The facilities from which they were produced were damaged beyond repairs during the earthquakes, however a handfull of mechs still survive.

Led by Captain Ethan Mills, a group of ex-soldiers discover clues to where the mechs had been kept. Completely secret from the spying eyes and cameras of the other nations. They uncover the location, and take the mechs for themselves. Rooting themselves somewhere in Wisconsin, the group collects survivors and travelers, convincing them to join their cause and create a base camp for their operations. From that base, they send out their mechs to loot cities, protect themselves, and find more survivors.

Last edited by Mattman154 on Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ironblood
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Ironblood » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:31 am

post apocalyptic skirmish game. not a high tech wargame with massive warmachines. how would a group manage to get a hold of enough resources and skilled mechanics to consistantly repair and maintain a mech, not to mention pilots trained to efficiently controll such machines.

Andypenguin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Andypenguin » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:43 am

Yea just bit too high techy right now
Penguin army: %&@# off bear cavalry

And ipod touch posting ftw

Far right winged beast of awsomeness

Mattman154

Post by Mattman154 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:29 pm

dang, worth a shot :P

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:37 pm

I will say this, but I ask that you don't read too much into it:

Most of us who work here at MiniWarGaming are Mech fans ;)
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Jaman
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Jaman » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:42 pm

1 thing bugs me wouldn't it be more likely that it was a Japanese based faction considering that's where the idea of mech come from ?

also game wise it could mean that you only have 3 mechs on the table

ie their realy exspensive but realy hard to kill

Asrodrig
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Asrodrig » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:46 pm

as cool as mechs are, I think for the PH game, they might not work out. Even something like a Dreadnought or a Battlesuit would be a little too advanced.

Mattman154

Post by Mattman154 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:08 pm

Well it wouldn't have to be just mechs on the board, you could have troops whose mission it is to perform battlefield repairs, support infantry fighting alongside it. The infantry would be generally weak, because their strength relies on the mechs.

With the large advances in technology something like this would be plausible. The mechanics of one are just like a regular robot, you'e just simply adding a cockpit

rzq1
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by rzq1 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:46 pm

i wouldnt put mechs entirely out of the picture. i could imagine a small homemade steam :twisted: mech

Asrodrig
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Asrodrig » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:50 pm

rzq1
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by rzq1 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:52 pm

realy you ahve nothing better to do

Mattman154

Post by Mattman154 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:52 pm

Well the thread is still relevent Asro lol