30. The Eris Scrolls: Renaissance - The Rancor Primes

Post your fan-made fiction here!
Forum rules
By submitting anything on this forum you agree to allow MiniWarGaming to use any or all parts without permission and without compensation.
Roy-Batty
MiniWarGaming Zealot

30. The Eris Scrolls: Renaissance - The Rancor Primes

Post by Roy-Batty » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:34 pm

Things have accelerated dramatically. It seems a small force has descended to earth’s surface last night in an attempt to infiltrate the local populace, gather information and search out a suitable point to install a forward base. Moon command had ordered a small cloaked vessel to depart some days ago and orbit the planet awaiting orders, ready to execute the mission upon receiving further instructions. After careful calculation and an extensive risk analysis it was determined that a crew of 8 would suffice.
Within hours merely half the force has returned to the orbiting ship. We had always anticipated the need for Exosuit support and breathing apparatus since our prolonged travels have weakened human capabilities to support survival on earth. Unfortunately, the provided artificial support has proven inadequate. Mechanical failure has killed several. Unprotected, it seems Exodus Project members can no longer withstand earth’s gravitational embrace for even a short period of time. Also, the unforeseen confrontation with a group of people has made some things painfully clear. Our exosuits are meant for support, not for battle, and they are far too loud for stealth missions.
About half an hour ago the returning orbiter had a docking request denied by command. It seems the ship interior has been contaminated with a foreign substance. It has already started to infect and kill several crew members. The alien virus seems as active as it was over three centuries ago.

Eighth Annex, the year 3801 to 3850 AD. Communal Renaissance. The Haruspex Prime.

The Overseers called it “The Investiture”, an initiation every marauder youngling of Patrician Descent had to go through. Nearly man, but not quite yet, it was a rigorously enforced act among the Riggers for these young ones to be assigned a pack of about 15 so called Mongrels, and lead them into battle. These crazed berserkers used to be human, but had committed crimes according to Rigger law. Every Patrician could pass judgment among the Lodge he belonged to as he saw fit. Servitude was a punishment applied to many crimes, equaling death. The convict would be sentenced to treatment in the Alteration Room, only to exit as the crazed beings that served the Riggers so well on the front lines. From that point on, each newborn Mongrel would belong to the Patrician family that passed judgment, who in turn would pass responsibility to the first born son, or Prime. It was he who had the task to redeem the honor lost for the Mongrel, claiming lives in battle. This passing of responsibility would start by equipping the unfortunate Rigger with an explosive collar. The Prime would do this manually, gaining control by force. It would happen frequently that a Prime would fail, killing the Mongrel, losing the trial with the former member of Rigger society and perishing or ending both lives by the power of a highly explosive collar. Ending this trial successfully would subdue the Mongrel. It took many decades for humanity to discover the reasoning behind this, and it wasn’t until Scofields secrets were unraveled that even the Riggers fully understood. In reality the Alteration Room was nothing more than a table to hold the “victim” down, while a Haussman control fragment was implanted under the skin. No one, not even the executioners, knew exactly what they were doing, and no one was naïve enough to ask. The following fit the prisoner would fall into struck fear into all involved. Scofield knew this, and sometimes made these “Alterations” public. After that, a new Mongrel was born. A nearly perfect soldier for the frontline, and a powerful tool to maintain control over the masses.
Once a Patrician had judged sufficiently for his Prime to have control over an able force, he would be sent out, becoming an Overseer during his first raid. It was a well known fact in Rigger society that the young overseers could react quickly and were very adaptable in the midst of battle, more so than experienced commanders. Those who were not cut out for the honor of leading the Mongrels into battle, would soon demise, passing the Prime title to the next son in line.
It was obvious to the settlers the Overseers stood apart from the other marauders. They had an air of arrogance over them and carried a deep despise for non-Rigger human life. Even in captivity they remained defiant, often smiling to their interrogators with contempt far beyond the capacities of a normal teenager.
Even when it became clear to the settlers that the key to deflect a Rigger attack was in taking out the Overseer, it was almost beyond their capabilities to capture them. As the conflict progressed, the colonists did become more agile in ambushing Rigger groups and killing the young Prime, thereby decapitating the group and nearly nullifying its efficiency. Mongrels without a leader would still be hazardous, but could be taken care of. In very rare occasions, an Overseer was caught and kept alive for questioning. Usually this was the consequence of sheer luck, rather than skill, although the colonists that were successful would say otherwise.
However, capturing an overseer seemed to come at a very heavy price. It seemed other Riggers would shift their attacks to the sites where the incapacitated Overseer would be held, in attempts to either free or kill the young Patrician. No matter how hard the colonists attempted to keep their valuable prisoners in controlled conditions or even place them deep underground in abandoned Corporation bunkers, the marauders always seemed to find them. It was far too late when the settlers learned about entanglement. The Riggers knew where to find their own, simply, because they were a part of the same, and any alteration would be noticed by everything and everyone that formed a part of the mass, leaving only the option to return balance.
The colonists knew what to expect when they captured a boy of about 17 years old, after ambushing his marauders near the coastline. He was wounded heavily, up to the point physicians debated amputation of limbs to preserve the subject for interrogation. When the boy bit a piece of cheek out of a caretaker, the interrogation team prioritized the subject. At Centurion Control Base, deep within New Anchorage lines, a team questioned the odd boy. A short record of the recovered conscript:

“Who are you?”
“I am the Patrician Prime from the Paroxysm Lodge. You may call me Rancor. Do not call me Rigger.”

“Why do you attack us?”
“Because you are not Rancor.”

“Where are you based? Where is your home?”
“We are everywhere. And my home is underneath your feet, wherever you go.”

“What do you want?”
“For the Rancor land to be retaken and any unworthy to be abolished.”
- Subject smiles defiantly to his nearest interrogator -

“How do the other Riggers know how to find you?”
“Do not call me that.”

“How many are there of you, Rigger?”
-smiles-

“How many?”
“Since I am here, you will know soon.”

“How can your comrades know where you are?”
“Because your presence burns beneath our skin.”

“Why do you think they will come for you?”
“Because I am the Prime of The Haruspex. They will all come for me now.”

“All? Are you that important?”
“You are truly ignorance reborn. I am THE Prime. By laying your hands on me you have already
passed from the living. The mongrels will feast on your remains.”

“What is the Haruspex?”
“Ask your elder. Ask them about the Haruspex. Ask them about the Wanderer. Ask them about
Scofield. They will know, as will you, soon.”
Last edited by Roy-Batty on Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Did you ever hear of the Eris Scrolls?

You can get to know them here:

http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 16&t=63414

And that's just the beginning.

Don't forget to bring your opinion!

Roy-Batty
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Re: 30. The Eris Scrolls: Renaissance - The Rancor Primes

Post by Roy-Batty » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:40 pm

30th edition of the Eris Scrolls. Yeey!

I have no idea if this has anything to do with the final Dark Potential world, especially with the refined timeline coming out, but i'm too curious about following through with this world to stop now!

The Riggers bit I wrote before really helped me here, and i'm liking them more and more. I'm darting from a timeline all the way to a dialog, sorry about that, i'm aslo trying to find out what I like best....

Roy-Batty
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Roy-Batty » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:54 pm

Added some minor tweaks in the final dialog....

Flame'n'Snow
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Flame'n'Snow » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:11 pm

Wonderful! Simply wonderful.
Roy-Batty, I just got caught up reaching your work and I simply love it. No ands, ifs, or buts about it. Thank you. I can only hope that the fanfic I'm starting up is half as good.

trooogdooor
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by trooogdooor » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:18 pm

“Where are you based? Where is your home?”
“We are everywhere. And my home is underneath your feet, wherever you go.”
Muah! ^_^

Roy-Batty
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Roy-Batty » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:22 pm

@ Flame'n'Snow: Well thank you very much! Hopefully we get to see your work soon, looking forward to it