The Tale of Army Painters 2009-2010 Season Signup Thread!

This Forum is now closed - if you have an ongoing Project Log here you'd like to continue using, please PM "Epic Duck Mike" and he'll move it to another area.
Norsehawk
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.

The Tale of Army Painters 2009-2010 Season Signup Thread!

Post by Norsehawk » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:39 am

Welcome to the Tale of Army Painters!

The idea for this is that too many of us have lots of unpainted figures sitting around that we know we should be painting but never really get around to working on them. Many of us even have whole armies that are unpainted. If you are one of those people, and would love some encouragement to get them painted, this is the project for you!

If you are interested, you can sign up with an army to paint over the course of the year. You select a point value (something divisible by 10 preferably) and each month, you paint 10% of that for your pledge. Wise men know that the best way to attack a big problem is to go at it in small chunks. Now, you might be saying, “Hey Norsehawk, you dummy, there are 12 months in a year that doesn't add up!” This is where the Joker system comes in. Real life sometimes intrudes on your painting time. Exams, holidays, babies, vacations, sick family members or any sort of other thing that make you unable to paint. If that happens in any month or you just want to take a break, you can play a Joker. You get 2 just for starting the tale (don’t say I never gave you anything!)

As far as what you want to paint, that is almost completely up to you. Game system doesn’t matter one bit, as long as it has a point value for the miniatures in your force, it will work great. Army selection is almost as simple. Let me say this first, it would be nice if you could paint a fully legal army. In the Warhammer 40k world, that would be at least 1 HQ and 2 Troops choices. If instead you want to do an Apocalypse style army where the Force Organization chart is thrown out, or a Planetstrike army where the chart is modified, Go for it. They are your models.

Each month, on the first of the month, a new post will be put up. This is for you to post your updates in and later on in the month to talk amongst yourselves, post updates and offer encouragement. Your monthly army update should include: A photo of what you painted and point value of what you painted. Some pretty standard extras would be a complete army shot, so you can see your army growing from nothing into a large force over the year (that is a huge bit of encouragement there) Things you had fun with, things you found difficult, things left to do (some people leave basing for a later date, or want to apply decals later for example) and any other comments you have about what you painted that month. This update should be in by the 14th of the month. If you do not post an update, you will be counted as jokering for that month. On the 3rd playing of a Joker, you are dropped from the tale. You are highly encouraged to offer praise, encouragement, and CONSTRUCTIVE criticism to your fellow painters. Others are highly encouraged to comment/encourage you as well. The group working together will provide that little bit of extra lift in your step, since you don’t want to let down the team.

Frequently asked questions:

What if I have used 2 jokers and know that in a few months, I will not be able to paint in a coming month? You can either work ahead, or if you post DOUBLE points in a single month, you can earn back a joker if you are down to zero.

What if I don’t post exactly 10% of my army value in a month under/over? No problem, it doesn’t have to be exact, but please refrain from making really huge updates in a month as it might discourage others. If you do paint a ton, just save them up and submit them in a future month or months.

Can I join late? Yes, kind of, If you join 1 month late, for the first month, you would be considered as taking 1 joker, 2 months, 2 jokers, 3 months, you better be a fast painter! If you truly want to join the tale, I want you in the tale. We can probably work something out.

Can I paint multiple armies? Sure, if you are a quick painter, insane, or want to tackle several smaller armies, go for it, just be aware that it can be tough!

Do things like Orbital strikes count for my points total? Heh, nice try, no. You actually have to paint miniatures for this, no taking a Grey Knight hero, 2 squads of GK's and then filling the rest of your list with Orbital strikes
:twisted:

Do my armies have to be WYSIWYG? For major items, yes. for minor things like digital weapons, no, use common sense please.

How do Large models like Baneblades, Stompas and Titans work? if you are painting something 'uge, split the points up over several months, say you are painting a 2500 point IG army, if you painted a Baneblade with no options, you would have 2 months to finish the model. You are still expected to post work in progress pictures for the large model each month so you don't get counted as taking a joker however.

What if I paint like a madman and end up finishing before the tale is over, can I raise my goal? Sure! The less unpainted models out there the better!

Do I have to post an army list before I start painting? No, not at all, that is entirely up to you. I personally plan to let my armies grow organically, painting what appeals to me each month

Do I need to own all the models now or can I buy them over the year? All that matters is that you end up with a fully painted army. If you are starting a new army for the challenge and buy parts of your army every month, that is perfectly fine.

I have already started to paint a bit of my forces, can I still join? This can be a bit of a sticky situation. I would say that as long as you aren't more than say 50% of the way done painting them, they can be included in the challenge.

How do Allies work? Am I stuck painting just one army for an entire year? I am mainly a 40k guy, so I will go from the 40k side of things. If you can justify it via fluff, it will be fine.

Some examples off the top of my head (and from the interest thread:

Crusade Type armies, say you want to do Blood Ravens but you also want to do Ultramarines, sure, just think up some sort of crusade badge to paint on the shoulder pad and you are fine.

Black Crusade, Mixing of Chaos forces for a greater goal. Or put them under a Chaos Lord, Warriors of Aggannor fit the bill for a mixed warband http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Warriors_of_Aggannor

Combined Imperial Guard forces, It happens in the fluff all the time, units that get whittled down to less than field capable strength get merged into other regiments, even if they are from different worlds, or particularly large battles may see regiments from many guard forces fighting side by side against a common foe.

Imperial Guard + Inquisition Forces

Imperial Guard Renegades + Chaos Forces

Imperial Guard + Tau Forces Guevesa or however it's spelled

Imperial Guard + Tyranid forces (genestealer heavy of course ala the rogue trader genestealer cult idea)

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

To sign up:
Post in this format Gamesystem-Army-Pointvalue, for example
Warhammer 40k – Imperial Guard – 1000
Warhammer Fantasy – Dwarves – 2000
Warhammer 40k – Space Marines – 1850

I look forward to hearing from everyone and hope we have a great year!

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Norsehawk on Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:24 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Reason: updating.
Insert witty slogan here! Lifetime silver member

Norsehawk
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.

Re: The Tale of Army Painters 2009-2010 Season

Post by Norsehawk » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:44 am

Thank you MWG for setting this up! I am going to be handling the particulars of the MWG Army Painter Motivational Challenge.

Right now is sign up time. Post what you are going to be painting over the year, and the points value. On July 1, A work thread will be posted, this is to show off what you are working on. On August 1st, the first submission thread will be up which is when your first pledge is due.

Here are the Pledges so far!

Norsehawk - Dark Angels 1500
Norsehawk- Imperial Guard 1500
steviemat23- Imperial Guard 2000
A Luna- Tau - 2000
Black-Napalm - Imperial Guard - 1700
Loota - Orks - 1610
jaman - Dark Angels Successors - 5010
NIKOLAS3220 - Orks - 2500
Grie Velorn - Necrons - 1500
vash1223 - Tau - 1500
Miniwargamer Mike - Necrons - 2000
Scherdy - Eldar - 1500
magicguitar19 - Chaos Space Marines - 3000
whitestarHokie - Tyranids - 3000
Mkable - Night Goblins - 2000
Nocturus - Tau - 1000
Joe - Orks - 1500
Kymmerus - Tyranids - 6000 (insane!)
MiniWarGamer Mike - Tau - 1000
Cazaius - Ogres - 1500
Cazaius - Eldar - 2000
Eldreon - Vampire Counts - 1000
DrBored - Chaos Space Marines - 1300
Asrodrig - Space Marines - 1500
Big Mek Geargutz - Daemon Hunters - 1800
Aenarion - High Elves - 1200
ChapterMaster2 - Space Marines - 1500
kknight25 - Baneblade + Titan - 1310
MercyKiller - Necrons - 1500
TwitchyCranos - Space Marines - 1500
Joey - Space Marines - 5000
him2261 -Imperial Guard - 2500
Marine Guy - Space Marines - 1680
holmsey555 - Space Wolves - 2000
Millbot - Orks - 1500
Thrakka - Orks - 3000
jeremyk2142 - Space Marines - 3000

(If there is a * that means that I'm not at home so I can't update the excel spreadsheet yet)

So far, we are going to be painting a grand total of 74610 points over the year, think of the size of that Apocalypse battle!

Ladies and Gentlemen, PICK UP YOUR BRUSHES!

steviemat23
Bronze Vault Member

Post by steviemat23 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:26 am

this is awesome, I know that the time is going to absolutely fly!

for my pledge I'm putting up 2000 points worth of imperial guard

A Luna
Gold Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by A Luna » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:47 am

My pledge... 2k points of Tau (or around 2k).

Thanks for setting it up Norsehawk :twisted:

Let the games begin.

Warhammer 40k - Tau - 2000 points
Smile!
Tomorrow's going to be worse

Me: "was eating cake whilst drinking. was good"
Jackmrnorris: "This man is close to nirvana. It is known."

CMON Gallery
Youtube

Black-Napalm
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Black-Napalm » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:54 am

i in i haven't started painting my imperial guard yet although at the moment i only have 2 valks, 1 25 man platoon, and my HQ choice ahhh yes and 2 commissars one is Ghant yes he is out of date but he looks so cool. i am waiting on the next wave of new stuff for the guard to come out before i expand my army but this is my list.
Troops:
1st platoon =212
2nd platoon =278
Veteran Squad (+commissar)=180
Penal Legion (+commissar) =115

Elites:
Storm Troops =120
Storm Troops =115
Storm Troops =120

HQ:
Company Command =187

Fast Attack:
Valkyrie Squadron =375

Total:1702 / 1700

so seeing how i have 2 joker cards i divide by 10 so that's 170 points per month

Norsehawk
Silver Vault Member

Post by Norsehawk » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:02 pm

Moving some information around in the thread,

My own pledges:

Warhammer 40k - Chaos Space Marines - 1500
Warhammer 40k - Imperial Guard - 1500

Loota
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge

Post by Loota » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:15 pm

When you say point cost do you mean bare bones point costs?
"Loota, the little goody-goody boy who likes to stay on-topic and only plays Orks because they make him feel like a bad-butt"-Jombo

"I nuke posts like it's 2012"-Asrodrig

Visit my Youtube channel: Lootaful
Yeah Loota was taken.

Norsehawk
Silver Vault Member

Post by Norsehawk » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:20 pm

Loota wrote:When you say point cost do you mean bare bones point costs?

It means that if you pledge 2000 points of space marines, at the end of the year, your army list should add up to be 2000 points, with all miniatures and wargear. Items that don't have miniatures, say Orbital strikes do not count.

Loota
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge

Post by Loota » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:34 pm

Oh okay then, here is my pledge:

Warhammer 40k-Orks-2000 points

Now that's a lot of Orks :| Also when does this start?
"Loota, the little goody-goody boy who likes to stay on-topic and only plays Orks because they make him feel like a bad-butt"-Jombo

Yeah Loota was taken.

Jaman
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Jaman » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:59 pm

ok hers a big 1
WARHAMMER 40K - DA SUCCESSORS -4650points

Black-Napalm
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Black-Napalm » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:21 pm

oh and one small thing i forgot to ask ... dose the base count ???? because that's the least favorite part for me and i would rather do it all in one foul swoop

Loota

Post by Loota » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:21 pm

Also what month does it offically start? Can we have more than 2 Jokers?

Yeah Loota was taken.

Norsehawk
Silver Vault Member

Post by Norsehawk » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:23 pm

jaman wrote:ok hers a big 1
WARHAMMER 40K - DA SUCCESSORS -4650points
jaman, you are going to be busy each month!
Black-Napalm wrote:oh and one small thing i forgot to ask ... dose the base count ???? because that's the least favorite part for me and i would rather do it all in one foul swoop
You can leave the basing until you are ready to do it. I often do it myself and was planning on doing so for the challenge myself. Just add it to the 'still to do' section of your update.
Loota wrote:Also what month does it offically start? Can we have more than 2 Jokers?
It is in the 2nd post on the thread:
Right now is sign up time. Post what you are going to be painting over the year, and the points value. On July 1, A work thread will be posted, this is to show off what you are working on. On August 1st, the first submission thread will be up which is when your first pledge is due.

A Luna
Gold Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by A Luna » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:24 pm

Loota wrote:Also what month does it offically start? Can we have more than 2 Jokers?
Reading won't hurt you... :wink:
What if I have used 2 jokers and know that in a few months, I will not be able to paint in a coming month? You can either work ahead, or if you post DOUBLE points in a single month, you can earn back a joker if you are down to zero.
Smile!
Tomorrow's going to be worse

Me: "was eating cake whilst drinking. was good"
Jackmrnorris: "This man is close to nirvana. It is known."

CMON Gallery
Youtube

Loota

Post by Loota » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:26 pm

Well I did read...but I forgot 8)

Also that paragraph just says if you used your two you cn back some, I'm wondering if you can have MORE than two?

Yeah Loota was taken.