Thalric's Weekly Paint 2015

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Thalric
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Thalric's Weekly Paint 2015

Post by Thalric » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:36 pm

Hello everyone,

my name is Felix and I live in Germany.
I have been part of the MWG-Community for a few months now, but I never really looked into the forum much. But today I did and found #theweeklypaint, and since I really like the concept, I am starting my own thread.

A little bit of background would be best first I think, to understand my "goals" for this year.
I started collecting and playing WH40k about 2 years ago. The army of my choice was Tyranids. So I started buying and assembling a lot of models, but didn't really get into painting very much. I started painting about 9-12 months into the hobby I think.
So here I was, trying to make a plan on how to work on painting all those models and I started with Hormagaunts, since I have so many of them. Painting gaunt after gaunt got pretty tedious after a while and even throwing in the occasional MC didn't really help. So I did not really paint much. Then I found my second army, which are Grey Knights. I really like their more elite concept.
But this time around I was a bit smarter. I didn't just buy lots of models, but only enough to start painting.
I even magnetized every model, so that I can change weapons. I am attending my first tournament next month and still need to finish a few Interceptor for a fully painted army.

Now GW has done it again and I fell in love with the Skitarii. I just like their style and rules very much. But I still have lots of Tyranids to paint as well. So my goal in this thread is not only create new Allies for my Grey Knights, but also to advance my Hivefleet :)

My plan is as follows. After finishing the last models needed for my first tournament, I will start painting my Tyranids again, as well as additional GK models and Skitarii (dont have any models yet).
I am thinking about setting myself a quota of Tyranid models I will paint, before painting something else, but I am not sure about that yet. Do you guys think that would be a good idea?

Of course I am also hoping to get feedback on my models and tips on how to improve myself. I have a long way to go in painting and really hope that you guys can help keep me motivated and improve my skill in painting.
Since it is getting late here in Germany and I need to work tomorrow I will post a few first pictures in the next few days.

That should be all, for now. I am looking forward to everything I can learn here. And I also hope that I will not make too many language mistakes (English being my second language and all :D).

Regards,
Felix

Models painted since start of the thread:
Grey Knights:

- 3 Interceptor
- 1 Rhino

Adeptus Mechanicus:

- 10 Vanguard
- 1 Sicarian Ruststalker (Alpha)
- 1 Tech-Priest Dominus

Tyranids:

- 1 Hive Crone
- 1 Mawloc
- 1 Carnifex
- 1 Haruspex
- 20 Termagants
Last edited by Thalric on Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:43 pm, edited 19 times in total.

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Re: Thalric's Weekly Paint 2015

Post by Kovlovsky » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:49 pm

Hello, my first language isn't english too (it's french). There aren't too many grammar nazies here, so you will be fine. From my own non expert eyes, I can say that your english is good.

About your story, personnally I don't paint because I'm devoid of artistic talents and my dexterity is abysmal. But my friend paints and from what I know of him, what he does to motivate himself is to switch between different units. Instead of painting in serial similar units, he tries to switch between different projects. This week he may paint a few Thousand Sons, the next one it will be 30k Death Guards. To further escape monotony, he will put some special characters between more mundane regular units like Chaos Lord or a Dark Angel terminator sergeant. It gives him a challenge that is motivating for him. Since you have more or less 3 armies, it's possible for you to do that.

As for your idea to give yourself quotas to do, it depends of your personnality. Some people may need to have an obligation of some sort for going foward with painting, but it can also backfire by making it like a rebarbative job instead of being a fun activity. If you think it will push you foward, sure do it.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Farseer Oz
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Farseer Oz » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:13 pm

Welcome to theweeklypaint. Will be nice to see some Nid pictures hit the forum instead of the rat plague to have going on here :)

Your English is excellent and probably better than mine hehehe.

Look forward to the first pic.
Eldar Biel-Tan 18,740 pts - 8,069 pts painted
Chaos Daemons 2,600 pts - 840 pts painted

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:43 am

Hello Thalric,

as Kovlovsky suggested, I also switch between units while painting. Currently I'm painting a Droppod, a unit of Blood Claws and a Venerable Dreadnought. It keeps me motivated and prevents me from getting bored and therefore not painting at all. I'm looking forward to seeing some painted 'Nids and Grey Knights. ;)
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch
Shadespire: 4 Sepulchral Guard

Lady_Soria
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by Lady_Soria » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:59 am

Howdy and Welcome. It sounds like you have a lot on your plate, but I have seen/ heard worse. ;) Also I have found people who gave English as a second lanague write it better than most people who have English as their first so don't sweat about it.
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:00 am

HI Felix!

I have a problem with falling in love with too many armies too, and my desk (as well as my storage) is full of projects that need finishing. Of course I'm going to add a bunch of Skitarii to it tomorrow....

I'm looking forward to pics, and always happy to provide feedback :)
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Thalric
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Thalric » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:04 am

Hey,

thanks for the warm welcome :) That really motivates me to get started! Hopefully my first pictures (coming soon) will not disappoint. Either way, I am always happy about feedback and constructive criticism, that helps me learn!

I guess I'll have to wait and see how my plans progress, before I make a decision concerning a quota.
I'll upload my first pictures tomorrow probably. I haven't seen a function to upload pictures yet. Is there a way to upload them directly (in case I am blind), or do I have to use a third party and link them here (via Img)?

A list of all the models I have to paint is also in the works atm and I'll probably edit it into the starting post.
Also I am going by my local GW tonight and getting my first Skitarii models. At the moment I am undecided what color scheme I will paint them in. I like most of the ones presented in the Codex and I probably lean towards Ryza the most at the moment, because the Orange would be pretty nice in my opinion.
Which one would you take and why? If I end up choosing Ryza I could use some advice concerning the colors I would need for a good orange color. I saw a Ryza Rust Drybrush Color, but of course I'll need more than that. Hopefully you guys can help me with that and give me some advice on what I would need and in what order (and so on) ;)

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:28 am

For images, you do need to use a host like Photobucket.

Myself, I'm going to do my own Forge World. I'm thinking of going with some organic browns and greens, just to contrast with all the metal. I am admittedly really drawn to the Mars color scheme with without the cream. To come full circle though, I am making them Dark Mechanicus and based loosely around the band Slayer...so I may go with heavy reds and blacks with organic bits of brown thrown in. Think Reign in Blood through South of Heaven, Larry Carroll artwork.

I'm picking up my Codex tomorrow, and I'll try and give you some advice on painting Ryza ;)
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Thalric
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Thalric » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:34 am

Okay, then I'll look into that!

Your plan sounds pretty interesting too. My main problem with a few of the color schemes is the black being a big main color, which I don't really like, at least for the walkers. I like the cream, but again I am not sure what colors I would need :D

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:34 am

Welcome to the Weekly Paint! Looking forward to seeing what you do!
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:43 pm

What they all said =) I find it very motivating to put up pictures of what I've managed to accomplish, and see how much better I'm getting as well. And the people here are really great with constructive criticism! which helps a lot as well

I also switch between projects - I wish I could call it a strategy but I fear it's more like ADHD lol However it does honestly help a great deal keep it all new. And as one of the ones with the overpowering awesomesauce Skaven hordes to paint, that definitely helps!

Irgendwie, wilkommen! Ich hoffe dass Ihre Malerei viel spass ist! (Sagt man "Malerei" fuer die minis? oder gibt es anderes Wort?)
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Thalric
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Thalric » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:36 pm

Heyho,

I finished my latest model today, so I thought it would be time to post some pictures. Sadly, I only have my Smartphone camera so the quality isn't the best. I need to find a way to take better pictures.
But I still hope you'll like them ;)

Let's start with the newest addition to my Grey Knights (partly taken with flash):

And here is a group picture of the 3 Interceptor I finished in the last few days:

The only thing missing is putting some grass on the bases. I need to do that with all my Interceptor models, since I rebased them on the new 32mm bases. I will do it once I finish painting the two remaining models I need for my first tournament.

I also bought an Adeptus Mechanicus Ironstrider. Not sure which of the two possible options I will build, although I am leaning towards the Dragoon at the moment :)
I had planned to purchase a Box of Vanguards/Rangers as well, but they were sold out, so I ordered them in the shop and can pick them up on Thursday. Still not sure which color scheme I will paint them in though ^^.

Well I guess that would be all for the moment. I hope you like the first few pictures!

Khankore
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Khankore » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:10 pm

I really, really, really like these. Really!!! NICE!
Casey Stratton
http://miniaturemodelrescue.blogspot.com

Models: Too many
Painted: Not enough

Lady_Soria
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by Lady_Soria » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:12 pm

Those look awesome!
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)