drsergen's weeklypaint 2013

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
drsergen
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

drsergen's weeklypaint 2013

Post by drsergen » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:58 am

Okay so I am posting this before i go to bed. im planning on beginning the post at work tomorrow.

I am going to the progression so far of my scouts. 1 captain lord executioner, 6 troopers, 1 razor back and 1 dreadnought.
tomorrow.

BE WARNED. . . YOU MAY CRINGE AT MY BEGINNER MISTAKES ON SUCH FINE MODELS!!!!!!!!

please provide postive C&C . . . . i.e. criticism comes with suggestions for improvement.

Here is some of my Progress. for scouts, space marines, captain lord executioner and the razorback.

an old group shot (with some ork's in the background that maybe ill post about later on)

Captain Lord executioner

First paint job. . i was very disappointed in my work.

so i painted again . and was much happier. although i know its still not perfect.

some pictures are combined . . .

im pretty happy with my basing for the models.

Scouts first
This were the first models i paint. . . .i made alot of mistakes.

and than i made alot of mistakes trying to fix them. but was happy enough to leave them for now and move on. as i do want to try and actually play a game

Space marines

Razor back / dreadnought

Last edited by drsergen on Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
twitter: @drsergenpaintin instagram: drsergenpainting facebook: Drsergenpainting

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: drsergen's weeklypaint 2013

Post by Arnathos » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:11 am

Whatever you do, before you start painting. Remove the mold lines from the models! You can do this with an exactor knife(scraping it sideways), or some carefull sanding. Mold lines can really ruin a great paintjob.
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

drsergen
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by drsergen » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:50 am

Arnathos wrote:Whatever you do, before you start painting. Remove the mold lines from the models! You can do this with an exactor knife(scraping it sideways), or some carefull sanding. Mold lines can really ruin a great paintjob.

hey posted the pics. . . . didn't expect anyone to comment before i added them in. take a look i worked on the razor back and will post some of those pics later today.( i just got to work its 8:50am)
i did enough copy and pasting links for now.
twitter: @drsergenpaintin instagram: drsergenpainting facebook: Drsergenpainting

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:08 am

Actually it's not bad, you managed to go in and get some of the details. The paint is a little flat, the best way to fix that (as a beginner) is with a wash. Agrax Earthshade will improve your paintjob a lot, just be sure it goes on smooth and doesn't blotch up on flat areas. Try to guide it from the flat areas into the details/crevices/edges.

Eventually once you get this technique down, you can start blending the layers together. Sometimes I'll base paint and then wash a model, just so I can get a better idea of where the shadows are. I'll then use a light fixture (sometimes, I have a background in art so can envision) to make a light reference and paint from there.

Most importantly have fun! I can't wait to see the Ven Dread done up!
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

drsergen

Post by drsergen » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:13 am

Allright Here is some more progress from the razorback i worked on last night. still trying to think of how im going to do the interior and much work i want to put into it.

This is the front. some of that roughness is from glue it kinda made a mess as a slide the emblem around. . .im planning on maybe making some damage marks there. . ? and im not sure about the color i used for the smoke launchers. and i started the lights have to add the yellow. and i plan on painting the windows as well although im not sure if you will see them.
Also i still have to highlight the banner and decide what if anything im going to write on there and HOW.

As you can see i have painted the track black before i paint them there metallic color.
and i left a nice dirty finger print when i was priming the model . . . .have to sand that out and repaint.

I still have to paint the bolter on top i have decided what colors to do on top. After some recent pictures a laughs to my self i might paint some of it with hazard stripes for the safety of the marine sitting in front of the guns. :P

edit: oh one last note i plan on applying a wash to the razorback . . but havent yet. . . IS WEAR im going to get around to it.

drsergen

Post by drsergen » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:16 am

Dez wrote:Actually it's not bad, you managed to go in and get some of the details. The paint is a little flat, the best way to fix that (as a beginner) is with a wash. Agrax Earthshade will improve your paintjob a lot, just be sure it goes on smooth and doesn't blotch up on flat areas. Try to guide it from the flat areas into the details/crevices/edges.

Eventually once you get this technique down, you can start blending the layers together. Sometimes I'll base paint and then wash a model, just so I can get a better idea of where the shadows are. I'll then use a light fixture (sometimes, I have a background in art so can envision) to make a light reference and paint from there.

Most importantly have fun! I can't wait to see the Ven Dread done up!

i also have a background in art. but (that's why the bases helmet it purple.)

and cant wait to paint the dreadnought. . . ive already primed it!!!

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:18 am

It looks like you have a background in music like me as well ;)

The technique (pushing the wash) is even more important on those large, flat areas. I do that and 'mop up' the middle areas with a paper towel.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

drsergen

Post by drsergen » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:32 am

Dez wrote:It looks like you have a background in music like me as well ;)

The technique (pushing the wash) is even more important on those large, flat areas. I do that and 'mop up' the middle areas with a paper towel.

Okay. im a bit nervous to wash the big areas which is why i haven't. . . and hearing it called 'pushing the wash' helps explain a bit to me.

Also the music background i do not have.. i how ever got some speakers at a garage sale for 10$ and wanted to make them work. So i posted to reddit and they suggested i buy an amp. So i did some research and found this one. i believe its for a car but its the perfect size and has the right amount of inputs for me etc. . . works great. . speakers sound awesome. whole set up cost em around 70-80$$ and with shipping etc the amp came to 50-60 $ i think.

DaOrkyBitz
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.

Post by DaOrkyBitz » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:04 pm

Love em! The repainted assault guy looks awesome, the one with the axe? He really is fantastic. Personally though, i never use yellow as a primary color, this is true of every yellow i have EVER worked with. They just dont coat well. I dont know if its the pigment, or the gray primer. But it takes like 4 coats for me. lol

drsergen

Post by drsergen » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:33 pm

Thanks. and thanks i thought i was really upset about how he came out the first time. he is the lord captain executioner or something. like that. and yellow is hard i use the GW averland sunset and wash with seraphim sepia, i have a highlight color. . . but haven't really mastered that yet.!!!

Lady_Soria
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by Lady_Soria » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:52 pm

Look good so far. My suggestion would be to thin the paints a wee bit. I noticed some brush marks in spot and this will help.

Any road welcome to our neck of the forum. :D
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

drsergen

Post by drsergen » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:30 am

Lady_Soria wrote:Look good so far. My suggestion would be to thin the paints a wee bit. I noticed some brush marks in spot and this will help.

Any road welcome to our neck of the forum. :D

Thanks!! I have problems getting the mix right when thinning the paints.

drsergen

Post by drsergen » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:14 am

Allright guys i got some more pics for you. . . this is becoming more of a daily progress but oh well it wont always be. and im sure you guys love looking at pictures.

Space Marine Front

Space Marine Side

Space Marine Side

Space Marine Back

Dreadnought (sorry its looks blurier than it did last night.) Also i do giving it a wash

Head shot 1

Head shot 2

Group shot of Imperial Fist units painted to date

drsergen

Post by drsergen » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:27 am

Blackwraith wrote:Great progress and noticeable improvements even from the first post. Looks like there are a few sprue bits still on the tops of the backpacks, Just watch for those.:)

As others have stated yellow if one of those hard colours.

Great start though!

Thanks. yea im slowly moving forward and going back and fixing things like sprue bits etc. . . . takes a long time.