Mike's #theweeklypaint

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Mike's #theweeklypaint

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:31 am

I made myself a very big (but not as big as last year's) New Year's Resolution for 2013 - Paint Something Every Week. If you're reading this, chances are good you were part (or at least aware) of last year's #thedailypaint, an effort to paint something every day... where after about 3-4 months, I completely burned out and disappeared into the abyss. This year shall be different!

I'm hoping that a more relaxed Weekly pace will be sustainable, and will let more people participate as well.

Mike's #theweeklypaint Score Card

BLUE: Goal met, something painted (or converted, assembled, etc)
RED: Goal missed
GREY: Date not yet reached/updated

January:
Week 1: Jan 01 - 05 - work on Fenrisian Wolves
Week 2: Jan 06 - 12 - Finished Wolves, Slush Basing on Wolf Lord, restarted Tyrant conversion
Week 3: Jan 13 - 19 - continued working on Tyrant
Week 4: Jan 20 - 26 - primed many things, nearly completed Tyrant
Week 5: Jan 27 - Feb 02 - work on assorted models, DA Chaplain

February:
Week 1: Feb 03 - 09 - more micropainting practice
Week 2: Feb 10 - 16 - dealing with Vallejo customer support RE defective paints
Week 3: Feb 17 - 23 - Tomb Spyder
Week 4: Feb 24 - Mar 02
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Lady_Soria
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Re: Mike's #theweeklypaint

Post by Lady_Soria » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:42 pm

God speed oh ducky one. And also, I hope your dog doesn't give you the ' LOVE ME NOW' eyes when you are painting like mine does.
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

SweetSorrow
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by SweetSorrow » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:45 pm

@Lady_Soria what's the issue? I paint with my dog in my lap o.O
(P.S. Dark is freaking out that is off topic, so. This involves painting. So it counts.)

-BB
The Stars Await, Let us now wander together.

Well then, this is rather entertaining
Chaos Marines - 5,000
IIIIIIIIII

Lady_Soria

Post by Lady_Soria » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:52 pm

Border collies aren't content to just watch you paint.
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

fluffyfen
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by fluffyfen » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:11 am

mike its good to see you back :D me and ocean are keeping the dailypaint going though, hopefully it wont be like last year where i want able to report in daily ( though i was doing stuff daily)
Bromanced to my Brosband - BewareOfTom

Pen gun, mightier than the sword. Sword gun, mightier than the pen gun.

Smartah
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Smartah » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:56 am

Glad to have you back Mr. Duckie. I can't wait to see what you come up with
ZOMG IMMA GIRL!
Check out Smartah Studios on Facebook!
Follow me on Twitter! @Smartah

My Armies:
Ogre Kingdoms
[X---------] Painted (10%)
Eldar
[X----------] Painted (4%)

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:55 am

@Lady_Soria: Jango is pretty good about leaving my alone when I paint now. He'll sometimes bring a bone or toy up and drop it in my lap when he wants attention, but he's (usually) out of the habit of nudging my elbow when I'm painting. I've actually just adopted a second dog (pics soon, he's still at the Shelter) to keep him company, which will either be great or awful for my painting ;)

I'm already playing a little catchup with my posting, but here's what I've been up to for the past 2 weeks:

Finished a set of 5 Fenrisian Wolves:

Slush Basing on a Hi-Tech Miniatures Wolf Lord:

2nd Edition Hive Tyrant Repose + Wings:

The Hive Tyrant is for our very own Kymerrus, proud leader of Hive Fleet Shortbus. It's been collecting dust in my basement for almost 2 years - I had originally started the project with a lot of gusto, then got really disheartened by the poor quality of my original conversion. This weekend, I ripped off *all* of the Green Stuff I had already sculpted and started from scratch, including drilling pinning holes all the way through both legs to repose them. Two freaking hours with a pinning drill and one blister later...

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:56 am

fluffyfen wrote:mike its good to see you back :D me and ocean are keeping the dailypaint going though, hopefully it wont be like last year where i want able to report in daily ( though i was doing stuff daily)
Hey, if you can keep up the pace, all the better! In all honesty, I've been doing something every day lately too - but it's a lot nicer pace because I don't feel like I *HAVE* to do something every day now. I can take a night off guilt-free :D

Lady_Soria

Post by Lady_Soria » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:27 am

Oh Mike, I love your Nid Fleet name. But everything looks really awesome...

How did you get that slush basing on the Space wolf? I am considering something like that when I finally get around to starting Khador ( please don't hiold dinner or your breath).

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:46 pm

Mike, welcome back and can't wait to see your minis coming back in and your answers to all our crazy questions :)

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:05 am

Lady_Soria wrote:Oh Mike, I love your Nid Fleet name. But everything looks really awesome...

How did you get that slush basing on the Space wolf? I am considering something like that when I finally get around to starting Khador ( please don't hiold dinner or your breath).
I'm going to do a tutorial on slush basing next time I have a model that it's appropriate for, but in the meantime, here's what I did:

1) Grab a margarine tub lid or some other disposble chunk of plastic.
2) Squirt a small amount of Tacky Glue or White Glue onto it.
3) Start mixing GW Snow Flock into the glue - should be about a 1:1 ratio, give or take. Mix it until it's about the consistency of putty... it should be more like dough than batter, if that helps.
4) Add a touch of water (I literally just dipped a brush into my water cup and touched it to the mix) and mix that in so it's a little more pliable and easy to work with.
5) Using your glue brush (you have a glue brush, right? ;) ) dab small clumps of the slush onto the model's base. You can use toothpicks or other disposable applicators for this too.

Once they're on the base, you can shape the clumps pretty easily, spread them out a little, drip them over an edge, etc.

Oh, and Hive Fleet Shortbus isn't my name - the fleet owner I'm doing this conversion for calls them that proudly ;)

Lady_Soria

Post by Lady_Soria » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:57 am

Ah.... Its still an awesome name.

Thanks for the instructions! :D And yes, more like dough than batter helps a lot. My mom was out of home caterer for a good couple of years before going to work for the government.

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:07 am

Good to see you back, Mike! I know last years Daily Paint took a toll on me as well. I was up until 3/4 AM painting every night, getting up with the kids, working all day, up to 3/4 painting...

I like Weekly ;)
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:07 pm

Just a little bit of sanding and this conversion is DONE!