Soria.. 2014..ALREADY?!

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Lady_Soria
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Re: Soria.. 2014..ALREADY?!

Post by Lady_Soria » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:49 pm

That is what I tend to do with beards. White is a bit tricky but what I do is was the beards Blue for black, sepia for white and blonde, black for grey and red for orange/red hair. ( Brown hair is obvious.) And then I dry brush with a dark dark blue or a mix of black and blue for black, pure white for white, a mix of yellow and brown, heavy on the yellow, for blonde, med to light grey for grey, and a mix of reddish orange for red/orange hair.

By all means this is not a perfect, nor even all that great method. I personally like the effect of it but its not for everyone.
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Vault
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by Vault » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:09 pm

Cool. I'll file that away for whenever I run into something with a beard; could probably extend it to hair in general too.
Get thee to a shrimpery!
Tau - 1849 points
Space Marines - 2333 points
Necrons - 3185 points
Tyranids - 3339 points
Orks - 1300 points
Lizardmen - 938 points

Lady_Soria

Post by Lady_Soria » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:17 pm

Wasn't sure about posting these... since I've only highlighted them High lighting is my biggest weakness but here they are anyway.

And front

Now all that's left is to base them and the rest of them. If you don't hear from me in a week, I may have overdosed on glue fumes.

Also I read did my circle pics.. anybody wanna see them?
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Joce
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Joce » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:37 pm

Are these GW Dwarfs?

yes highlight is hard, if the paint is to dark it wont show and if it is to pale make don't blend smooth.

Lady_Soria

Post by Lady_Soria » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:53 pm

Yep, from Skull pass starter set.

Lady_Soria

Post by Lady_Soria » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:59 pm

Alright have some pics. Basing did not go as planned. So I'm taking a break today and just doing some brush maintenance today and posting pics.

The dwarfs as a whole. Not a great pic but I can't fit them all on my 'light box' and do not have to patience to move them all on to it. Better pics will come soon.

I decided to post some better pics of my Circle army.

Joce
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Joce » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:35 pm

Hehe nice gang, thanks for sharing.

I like the wolfs :P

Vault
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by Vault » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:30 pm

Yeah those are some cool looking werewolves. Especially like that you didn't paint them all the same colour.
Get thee to a shrimpery!
Tau - 1849 points
Space Marines - 2333 points
Necrons - 3185 points
Tyranids - 3339 points
Orks - 1300 points
Lizardmen - 938 points

Lady_Soria

Post by Lady_Soria » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:31 pm

Taking a mini break from painting...forgot how to do yellow the 'easy' way and spent WAY too long painting some knight... also very frustrated with the hobby lately, not sure why. So I'm enjoying the breaks of nice weather between storms and played ball with my own ' wolf'

Joce
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Joce » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:41 pm

Lady_Soria wrote:Taking a mini break from painting...forgot how to do yellow the 'easy' way and spent WAY too long painting some knight... also very frustrated with the hobby lately, not sure why. So I'm enjoying the breaks of nice weather between storms and played ball with my own ' wolf'
Golden yellow as base coat/ wash of chestnut ink 2 parts water careful for shades/ come back with base coat for first highlight/ then add pale yellow to your mixture gradually to create more highlights to your wishes. If you insist on a very bright highlight then add white at the end.

I get depress on the hobby sometimes too, wanted to come back and perform to today's standards is draining, you guys sometimes help me get motivated.

Hey doggy!

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:09 pm

easycompany wrote:
Dez wrote:I'm sorry to hear about Oscar, but it sounds like he had a long, great life! We are cat people too, we have 2 kittens Solas and Luna (essentially meaning Sun and Moon).
Not sure if this was what you were going for, but solas is the Gaeilge (Irish native language) for light.
That's exactly what I was going for, being a first gen Irish American ;) Though the root of Solas is Sol (light) in latin. It's a rough translation :)

Soria MUCH better pics via Cellphone!
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Lady_Soria

Post by Lady_Soria » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:29 pm

So my snow flock came the other day.... so I'm starting to base my Circle guys with some sticks I got on a walk I had with Caleah and largish stones from Woodland scenics. Going a bit slow because I am trying them to look good but natural at the same time... oie.

Joce
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Joce » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:38 pm

Lady_Soria wrote:So my snow flock came the other day.... so I'm starting to base my Circle guys with some sticks I got on a walk I had with Caleah and largish stones from Woodland scenics. Going a bit slow because I am trying them to look good but natural at the same time... oie.
I did many things but never snow.

Lady_Soria

Post by Lady_Soria » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:03 am

Read something on Hand Cannon Online that looks helpful.

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:06 am

good to hear.

Pretty puppy.