TheHoundmaster's #theweeklypaint 2014

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Oceangrave0
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: TheHoundmaster's #theweeklypaint 2014

Post by Oceangrave0 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:54 pm

TheHoundmaster wrote:It is finished!

Close up on the scales, cuz I'm proud!

Its come a long way from the original model. $20 on eBay and a lot of work/love made it into a real centerpiece. Now on to the howdah, crew, and the improved firing array.
Go hound, looks awesome!
OH YES HE HAS RETURNED!
Your local chaotically infused servitor
"I'm starting to wonder if Ocean is in fact a plague marine." - Soria

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:00 pm

definately one to be proud of.

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:40 am

That's the kind of paint job you can pick up girls with! I really like it.

I think you could do a bit better on the horns though. I'd like to see some more variation in the color, like in the pics http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catal ... rod1690060
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:03 pm

Looks amazing Hound! Dem scales man, dem scales. Can't wait to see it with the Lazor on it, if your still planning that.
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

TheHoundmaster
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by TheHoundmaster » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:25 pm

Dez wrote:That's the kind of paint job you can pick up girls with! I really like it.

I think you could do a bit better on the horns though. I'd like to see some more variation in the color, like in the pics http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catal ... rod1690060
I will give it a try, but the problem is the horns themselves. The ones that actually come with the kit have those textured grooves on them for the wash to collect in. The ones I have are completely smooth. I dont think my hand is steady enough to do straight tapered lines like that.
The Warhammer Fantasy Guy!

Dez
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:05 pm

Gotcha! When I first started painting, I was crazy enough to paint the teeth and horns on Orks like that...but the Steg is big, and that would be noticeable. My suggestion is just an improvement, always looking to drive people on to the next level!

TheHoundmaster
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by TheHoundmaster » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:34 pm

Dez wrote:Gotcha! When I first started painting, I was crazy enough to paint the teeth and horns on Orks like that...but the Steg is big, and that would be noticeable. My suggestion is just an improvement, always looking to drive people on to the next level!
*sniffle* I want to be at the next level!

TheHoundmaster

Post by TheHoundmaster » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:35 pm

Speaking of the next level, why don't we get a little higher up? I took a break from my Stegadon to create this little base for my Sammael model. Personally, I think it needs some sand on the base, but I could be wrong. Paint to come soon!

Close up of the base, so you can see some of the details I put in.

With the model, so you can see the epicness.

What ya think?

Nappen
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:44 pm

Great line of sight for my venoms ;)

Looks great.

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:08 am

More sand for sure. Other than that it looks pretty epic!
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

Dez

Post by Dez » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:06 am

Very nice work!

TheHoundmaster

Post by TheHoundmaster » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:03 pm

So today was a great mail day. One of my favorite miniatures of all time came in!

I absolutely love this model, and the others in the line (MM41 1st Edition Ogres.) This puts me one model closer to collecting the set! The amount of detail in these old metal models is spectacular.

Whats your favorite old model? Pics!

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:10 pm

Love that model

TheHoundmaster

Post by TheHoundmaster » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:05 pm

Nappen wrote:Love that model
What's your favorite old school model look like?

TheHoundmaster

Post by TheHoundmaster » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:17 pm

Howdah is done. I took these before I realized that I didnt paint the rims on the shields. All done now!

So im working on the firing array. I tried a solid white background with Nihilakh Oxide technical paint, but since it acted more like a wash than a glaze I went with Guilliman blue.

Ocean was saying it looks magical, like a portal. I'm not too sure about it, what do yall think? I'll get another pic once its dry.