Another Apocalypticon is complete

Apocalypticon has been discontinued. Click here for all the details
Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Re: Another Apocalypticon is complete

Post by Aegis » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:14 pm

jae4x4 wrote:ya a thunder hawk is only like 600$ those kits would be like 250$ + time spend its only 100$ or 200$ difference, that is like a shift or 2 at work!
In Canadian, the Thunderhawk is more than $600. Assuming the average exchange rate over the past two years, it actually comes to roughly $800-$850, and then you factor in duties, which add another $100. For the cost of the kits (if you buy them at GW, so not factoring in deals from other retailers), you are looking at about $300. If the time is no issue, you can build 3 custom T-hawks for one official one.

As for me, I am considering the scratch build because I doubt I can convince my wife to let me buy a second forgeworld T-hawk.
Former MWG Leland, now just regular, old Leland. Now with more grump!

To see what I am working on, check out my Facebook page at its new address Aegisbrand Studios or just search for Leland Martel

xtroopers9
Bronze Vault Member

Post by xtroopers9 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:42 pm

Aegis wrote:
jae4x4 wrote:ya a thunder hawk is only like 600$ those kits would be like 250$ + time spend its only 100$ or 200$ difference, that is like a shift or 2 at work!
In Canadian, the Thunderhawk is more than $600. Assuming the average exchange rate over the past two years, it actually comes to roughly $800-$850, and then you factor in duties, which add another $100. For the cost of the kits (if you buy them at GW, so not factoring in deals from other retailers), you are looking at about $300. If the time is no issue, you can build 3 custom T-hawks for one official one.

As for me, I am considering the scratch build because I doubt I can convince my wife to let me buy a second forgeworld T-hawk.
Plus you still have to assemble the forgeworld thunderhawk right? So they even getcha on that.
20k pts of Necrons, fully painted
WE ARE THE NECRONTYR WE CLAIM DOMINION OVER THIS THREAD SURRENDER AND DIE.

"Apocalypticon is like an arms race on plastic crack and I am thrilled to be a part of it."

jae4x4
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by jae4x4 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:18 pm

i think its a ugly model personally, i love seeing the real ones on the table but its just so dam blocky, i really want a manta :( sucks being IG :P

jj3
Gold Vault Member

Post by jj3 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:22 pm

jae4x4 wrote:i think its a ugly model personally, i love seeing the real ones on the table but its just so dam blocky, i really want a manta :( sucks being IG :P
A Manta requires a small crane to be able to fly it around the table, it's just not something really usable...

Believe me, I've tried to figure out many ways to make it work! I know if I can get it figured out for 1, two would be cake! :)

Hey, maybe next year if I have all that figured out, I can fly it over to your side of the table so you can have one too! :twisted:

Tyranid96
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by Tyranid96 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:48 pm

Owen had a good way to make a Manta work.
Blood Angels: Angels Sanguine 10,000pts +
Tyranids: Hive Fleet Andromedous- 3.5k+
Orks: 2500 pts
Grey Knights: 1750+
IG: 1500+

Cygnar:224
Legion: 70
Retribution: 75

jae4x4
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by jae4x4 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:54 am

jj3 wrote:
jae4x4 wrote:i think its a ugly model personally, i love seeing the real ones on the table but its just so dam blocky, i really want a manta :( sucks being IG :P
A Manta requires a small crane to be able to fly it around the table, it's just not something really usable...

Believe me, I've tried to figure out many ways to make it work! I know if I can get it figured out for 1, two would be cake! :)

Hey, maybe next year if I have all that figured out, I can fly it over to your side of the table so you can have one too! :twisted:
a crane might actually work, like one of those things on wheels they have in a hospital, but a little more heavy duty, i may look into that! you could hang it with some high tension fishing line! (i am being serious btw)

kernbanks
Silver Vault Member

Post by kernbanks » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:52 am

Well... if fliers keep getting more and more love we will need a special place just for them. You'all have now reminded me I also need to build Hyrda & AA-Medusa platforms. Those dam StormRavens in the Grey Knight formation were killer
~Kernbanks

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:17 am

Well, then you will not be happy to know I plan to add 2-3 more storm ravens.

As such though, I think fortifications need to be considered seriously, as there is just not enough anti-air available outside of fliers...
Former MWG Leland, now just regular, old Leland. Now with more grump!

To see what I am working on, check out my Facebook page at its new address Aegisbrand Studios or just search for Leland Martel

kernbanks
Silver Vault Member

Post by kernbanks » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:07 pm

I have a Nephilim that I am going to play around with, see if they could be as effective as Vendettas of which I have three in their boxes... just didn't have the time to build them.

Might even make a FW purchase, I like the Thunderbolt model a lot.
~Kernbanks

jae4x4
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by jae4x4 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:31 pm

I have a super secret project for this next year, but it might take me 2 years, i will need Randy's advice i think, so randy you should get in contact with me. And yo 2-4 thunderbolts are so sexy, i will have mine there next year, i didnt bring my flyers as they were not painted! you can be my wing man!

MasticatorDeelux
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by MasticatorDeelux » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:42 pm

Obligatory
10k Ork Waaagh, 30% painted
11k Black Templar Crusade, 99% painted

MWG-Owen
Gold Vault Member

Post by MWG-Owen » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:38 am

Tyranid96 wrote:Owen had a good way to make a Manta work.

More of A way. The new plan will go better. Bigger, better and maybe make a real base.

The last manta is now resting...in pieces.

Randolph
Gold Vault Member

Post by Randolph » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:39 pm

jae4x4 wrote:I have a super secret project for this next year, but it might take me 2 years, i will need Randy's advice i think, so randy you should get in contact with me. And yo 2-4 thunderbolts are so sexy, i will have mine there next year, i didnt bring my flyers as they were not painted! you can be my wing man!

You know it. I look forward to your wild ideas!
15k Crimson Fist Fully Painted
5k Celestial Lions Fully Painted
40k Titan Legion
Krome to the rescue

Give a man a fire and he will be warm for the night. Ignite him with a Flamestorm Cannon and he will be warm for the rest of his life

orksaregreat
First post! Good job, now post more...

Post by orksaregreat » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:27 pm

I cant beleve another year has come and gone. It was such fun!!!! I think next year I will bring more stuff that shoots far and uses big platsic templates as those looked like a lot of fun and blew lots up! Thanks everyone for a good time!!!!!!!!