2013 lessons learned

Apocalypticon has been discontinued. Click here for all the details
kernbanks
Silver Vault Member

2013 lessons learned

Post by kernbanks » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:15 pm

So this was my first Apocalypticon, and these were my lessons learned... maybe some have been learned before, or learned again, please share:

1) Deep strike rule conflicts, these can happen in any game of 40k but so many "prevents" special rules can be spammed in addition to the table being very crowded in Apoc it makes deep strike impossible. Unless we institute a house rule that eliminates all the "your opponent cannot" special rules avoid deep strike as a deployment option. That being said a decision, do we want models on the table or do we want deep strike mishap rolls? Maybe a scatter roll and then deploy minimum distance away.

2) Infantry can foot-slog, but deployment wise it is probably better to put them in transports and then in turn one they can walk out.

3) Coordination is key, maneuvers need to be orchestrated with your neighbors. pinwheel movements leave a flank exposed, the battle line could be left open.

4) Formation special rules offer significant advantages, definitely need to maximize their employment.

5) concentrate fire, something that translates from standard 40k. shoot until it dies, then shoot it again. Create the target list before the battle begins, work the list, update when new reinforcements arrive. Shoot your weapons at the correct target types, save high strength until after shields have been dropped, but don't save them too long or you might run out of time.

That being said, pound enemy str-D weapon carriers first. Hmm... maybe something else will come up. With str-D changes this will be all the more important.
~Kernbanks

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Re: 2013 lessons learned

Post by Aegis » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:06 pm

Infantry definitely needs some form of rapid deployment, be it transports or reliable deep striking, otherwise there is little point in bring infantry, I find

As for the deep striking, I think as a whole we should be discussing this. It just does not work well in Apocalypse. I suggest we use the 'Rule of Cool' for these games, and modify the deep strike rules to allow for a more liberal use of them.

Nothing as broken as saying they do not scatter, as that would be stupidly powerful (especially with vanguard vets, or copious amounts of flamers). Something along the lines of reducing scatter by 1D6, or modifying the mishap table by making it somewhat more generous. On tables 16/17 alone (I cannot speak for others), I believe we had about 5 or 6 units deep strike, only to mishap and have an entire unit become a complete non factor. This is not fun for the owner of the unit, nor does it add to the cool factor of the game, I think.

Some suggestions, off the top of my shiny noggin', instead of becoming misplaced, maybe make them deepstrike, but are automatically pinned the first turn down. Alternatively, a mishap could mean they walk on a board edge instead.

These are just thoughts at the moment, so feel free to take them as you will.
Former MWG Leland, now just regular, old Leland. Now with more grump!

To see what I am working on, check out my Facebook page at its new address Aegisbrand Studios or just search for Leland Martel

bigoldfrog
Silver Vault Member

Post by bigoldfrog » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:27 pm

I agree 100% with Aegis.

kernbanks
Silver Vault Member

Post by kernbanks » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:49 pm

Thanks Aegis, and I agree they shouldn't stick. even 1d6 scatter is pretty beneficial as they would often be able to still flame, etc...

I do really like your auto pin, and on top of that maybe a dangerous terrain test (pinned with 17.5% losses seem very fair for a mishap). How could this work on drop pods?
~Kernbanks

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:52 pm

Well, drop pods is the only safe deep strike option outside special units/rules.

Also, I am rather fond of the auto-pin combined with dangerous terrain. As always, though, it comes down to Matt, Dave and Jay on how they want to modify things. After all, we do not want so many house rules that we are essentially re-writing the rules. That would be a nightmare.
Former MWG Leland, now just regular, old Leland. Now with more grump!

To see what I am working on, check out my Facebook page at its new address Aegisbrand Studios or just search for Leland Martel

MasticatorDeelux
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by MasticatorDeelux » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:09 pm

Can we get more than 30 seconds to discuss how much time we'd be willing to go on? It worked beautifully for the Imperium, but not so much for the Xenos...I know we're on a tight schedule as is, but it's in many cases a deciding factor.
10k Ork Waaagh, 30% painted
11k Black Templar Crusade, 99% painted