Thoughts on this deck

This is for discussing anything to do with Wizard's Magic, the Gathering card game.
exodusofman
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: RED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Awarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Thoughts on this deck

Post by exodusofman » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:13 pm

Im still new to MTG and dont know the crazy fancy names of the decks. ANywho I was browsing online and found this deck. Its on the wizards of the coast site

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/A ... dard/Decks

I didnt think it was too bad and Im considering building it. so Im posting it here for your guys feedback

4 Blood Crypt
3 Dragonskull Summit
3 Forest
4 Overgrown Tomb
4 Rootbound Crag
4 Stomping Ground
2 Woodland Cemetery

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
24 lands

3 Deathrite Shaman
4 Dreg Mangler
4 Experiment One
2 Falkenrath Aristocrat
4 Flinthoof Boar
4 Ghor-Clan Rampager
4 Hellrider
4 Strangleroot Geist

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
29 creatures

3 Abrupt Decay
4 Searing Spear

7 other spells

Sideboard
1 Abrupt Decay
3 Dreadbore
2 Golgari Charm
3 Rolling Temblor
3 Skullcrack
1 Thundermaw Hellkite
2 Tribute to Hunger
I fall into a dark hole
And I can't come out
Do you know if Merlin did exist
Or Frodo wore the ring
Did Corum kill the gods
Or where's the wonderland
Which young Alice had seen
Or was it just a dream
I knew the answers
Now they're lost for me

Zero

Re: Thoughts on this deck

Post by Zero » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:44 am

That colour combination is Jund, arguably the best in the current meta. The deck is a Jund Aggro deck and is definitely very solid. Personally I'd cut the mana back to 23-22 lands and lose one of the Ghor Clan Rampagers for an Ultimate Price and a pair of Tragic Slips (or vice versa) to give you some more flexible removal. The slips are important for dealing with Falkenrath Aristocrats and both spells help you take down bigger creatures for cheap.
What matters creative endless toil
When, at a snatch, oblivion ends the coil?

My awesome blog of awesomeness.

MFletch
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

Post by MFletch » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:45 am

Running 6 to 10 4 drops with spells with harsh mana costs means dropping down lands is not very realistic.

Deathrite Shaman seem to be a presideboarded option. Usually they will a bit slow for your deck and may not have many targets. Against some match ups they will be brilliant.

I have not been very impressed by experiment 1. Wolfbitten captive is going to be better most of the time, this is the most suggsted replacement.

I would not mind fitting in arbor elves, as they help fix mana and ramp to the good stuff. This also would straighten out the 3 drop and 2 drop slots which are a little light.

The list looks fine, it is full of cool aggro creatures with a little bit of removal what more could you ask for.
Mainboard seems a little weak to thragtusks and also to 18 land aggro decks.

Bone2pick
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Bone2pick » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:31 pm

I prefer jund midrange over jund aggro. I just feel better having more spells and playing huntmasters and thragtusks over two drops, but this list looks solid enough.
Space Marines excel at warfare because they were designed to excel at everything.

-Primarch Roboute Guilliman

Zero

Post by Zero » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:46 pm

I've personally been very impressed with Experiment One. I run 4 of them and they're better than Rakdos Cackler or Stromkirk Noble. The Cackler is a 2/2 attacking on turn 2 that can't block, and that's it. The Noble only grows if he actually hits you and when he attacks on turn 2 he'll still be a 1/1. He can't be a reliable blocker if you find yourself in a situation where you need him to block for you (not often, sure, but having options is always nice) because he won't grow if you don't swing.

Experiment One, on the other hand, is always a 2/2 on turn 2 and unlike the Cackler he has the option to block and doesn't lose anything from doing so. He's a more aggressive option early than the Noble because on turn 2 with a 2 power Haste creature you're swinging for 4 instead of 3 and turn 3 you're swinging for 8 instead of 7. Add to that the ability to Regenerate for 2 tokens in a deck where you can probably get those tokens back in a turn and Experiment One is a much stronger card in my eyes.

Compared to Wolfbitten Captive I think the Experiment still wins in my opinion. To buff the captive on turn two means missing your second creature. Really, it'd only be something I'd use late game, but until then he's just a 1/1 or 2/2 that's not doing a whole lot else.

Bone2pick
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Bone2pick » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:11 pm

Zero wrote:Experiment One is a much stronger card in my eyes.
Than stromkirk noble? Eh, not in my eyes (and played against). They both have their pros and cons, but I prefer the pros of the noble. The "can't be blocked by humans" is huge in a human heavy meta, and early drops tend to be human. Also, speaking as a control player, not being able to flash in snapcaster to block it is a pretty big pain. And swinging in and growing tends to be more consistent than the evolve mechanic, which is honestly a pretty spotty mechanic. I mean, multiple nobles in your opening hand and a red source is great; but multiple experiment ones in an opening? Less than great. Experiment one has the "human" tribal going for it, so it's a piece for naya humans and all. But individually the noble imo out performs it, which is why noble is in the grull decks, where the tribal tag doesn't matter.

To be honest I'm more in the camp of Mfletch, experiment one just hasn't impressed me. It's playable, but I still think the top tier aggro one drops in standard are champion, noble, & gravecrawler. Then there's the tier below that (still good) for dryad militant, war falcon, experiment one, and stuff like that. But of course, that's just my own humble rankings.
Space Marines excel at warfare because they were designed to excel at everything.

-Primarch Roboute Guilliman

Zero

Post by Zero » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:56 pm

To each his own I guess, but I've never been disappointed by my Experiments.