Got Rules Questions? Ask 'Em Here WM/H Edition!

Talk about Privateer Press steam-powered fantasy game here.
Bigbul
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Got Rules Questions? Ask 'Em Here WM/H Edition!

Post by Bigbul » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:51 pm

I'd like to search to see if the question was answered, but it would take me forever. So I'll just ask it!

If a model/unit that has reach is within melee range of their target, but the target doesn't have reach and isn't in melee with them, do they still claim a bonus to DEF when they're the target of a ranged attack?

Scenario:

A unit of Man-o-War Shock Troopers are engaged are within two inches of an enemy Warp Wolf, a nearby unit of Grey Lord Ternions are targeting the Warbeast with their ice cage ability. Does the Warp Wolf claim the bonus, and if so will the targets be randomized if it misses?

Thank you!
“I would rather have a good plan today than a perfect plan two weeks from now.” - General George S. Patton

Mattman154
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall

Post by Mattman154 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:55 pm

Bigbul wrote:I'd like to search to see if the question was answered, but it would take me forever. So I'll just ask it!

If a model/unit that has reach is within melee range of their target, but the target doesn't have reach and isn't in melee with them, do they still claim a bonus to DEF when they're the target of a ranged attack?
Page 51, upper left paragraph.
"When a model is within an enemy model's melee range and in that model's line of sight, it is engaged in combat and primarily concerned with fighting its nearest threat. When a model has an enemy model in its melee range and line of sight, it is engaging that model. When a model is either engaged or engaging, it is in melee, which prevents it from making ranged attacks"

Page 58, Targeting a Model in Melee
"In addition to any other attack modifiers, a ranged attack roll against a target in melee suffers a -4 penalty."

So yes, there will be a -4 penalty to the shots.

However an example of where being engaged and what not is interesting, is when you are trying to channel a spell. An arc node cannot channel only if it is being engaged by the enemy. The arc node can be completely behind the enemy models back arc and be in melee, but not engaged by the enemy model, so it can channel.

Craaag
Ribbons Earned: Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Craaag » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:15 am

As for the 2 handed throw question coming up short on a target. Not sure if this was answered yet?

pg55 Double handed throw.

"If the other model is in range the attacker makes a melee attack roll against it. If it is outside of range, resolve the throw using the rules in being thrown as if the model were being thrown directly towards the other model."

Determine Deviation from the point along the line equal to the throw distance. (half STR +1" for small based models) pg55 also

Craaag

Post by Craaag » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:31 am

sicarius777 wrote:TY mattman i just read the ability boundless charge and i see where it says { when it charges} my friend has the khador starter box and he moved 6 then cast boundless charge the attacked me but now i see that, that was a illegal move but i assume that u can cast a RNG 6 spell on yourself as long as it dosent say OFF Yes?

There is a spell that allows Sorscha to make an advance (Wind Rush). Not sure on the actual distance she can move with this spell, her speed I believe is 6, so 6". She can cast this first before charging, which it sounds like your opponent did and then she can cast Boundless charge which gives a movement bonus to her charge distance. She can then charge getting an obscene threat range off with these 2 spells (19" I think?), though in all likelihood that tactic will leave her with very little Focus left over for assassination.

Sounds like a legal move he made.

connorshaw-case
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by connorshaw-case » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:36 am

I know this is a dumb question but I have to ask it. Can you boost to hit rolls on a magical range attacked as I have bought the starter set and kreoss has two damage spells that rip apart poor madrak (I bought he troll starter set and some more models for another 20 point army). I mean it makes sense he should be able to boost the to hit but every time I play now my freeing just runs kreoss up and smack madraks tits around.

ltmechanicus
Gold Vault Member

Post by ltmechanicus » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:22 pm

Your warcaster/warlock can boost his/her spells to-hit and damage rolls(which are different from magic ranged attacks).

You can also boost your warcaster's magic ranged attacks to-hit and damage rolls. (These would be attacks from a ranged weapon with the magical weapon quality.)

Spells (magic attack) use FOCUS to-hit, magic ranged attacks us RAT. There are many possible subtle differences in the way that these two types of attacks interact with model rules.

Ferngully
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Ferngully » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:05 am

Hi there!

Just got in the Warmachine with Menoth army and really liking the game.

But anyways, I don't quite get my head around models facing?
Does it effect game any other ways than showing front/back arc of the model
and models can hit only to their front arc?

Thanks anyways.

Flindo
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Flindo » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:51 am

Ferngully wrote:Hi there!

Just got in the Warmachine with Menoth army and really liking the game.

But anyways, I don't quite get my head around models facing?
Does it effect game any other ways than showing front/back arc of the model
and models can hit only to their front arc?

Thanks anyways.
well its a little more complex than that but yes, lets say someone is behind you in real life, how well are you going to be able to attack that guy?
Infinity:
Morat 1400 Points
Warmachine:
Skorne 209 Points
Gatormen 141 points
Malifaux:
Gremlins 203 Soul Stones
Relic Knights:
Noh Empire: 68 points

Ferngully
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Ferngully » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:55 am

So facing doesn't affect anything about charging directions, running etc?
You can face you're model before charging and so on?

just wondering because I have a feeling I have watched a batrep where matt says that he doesn't need to worry charge because they are facing other way, but that could be me just hearing things.

mmchugh
Gold Vault Member

Post by mmchugh » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:14 am

A model only has LOS of models in it's front arc.

You need LOS to attack a model, or to declare it as your charge target. Declaring your charge target must happen before you start moving, so you wouldn't be able to charge that started in your back arc.

RedDragon924
Gold Vault Member

Post by RedDragon924 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:20 am

Facing does affect a few things.

- You can only target models in your front arc. This includes targeting somebody for a charge, so you can only charge something in your front arc.

- rules like a warjack/beast's shield or buckler weapon that gives them a ARM boost only works in their front arc. Shield wall orders also work this way.

- If an enemy was in your back arc for their whole activation and stays in it, they get a +2 to their attack rolls against that model.

Craaag

Post by Craaag » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:31 am

No you can't turn your model before charging. That's why a model's front arc and LOS is really important. You charge in a straight line towards the charge target and then after the move turn the model to directly face the target.

Bigfi

Post by Bigfi » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:41 pm

Can you thresher after making a charge move? If you could post the page it's on that would be helpful.
fool me once shame on me, fool me twice... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!
Cryx, Circle, CSM, and BA armies

baummonster
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by baummonster » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:56 pm

Yes you can, because Thresher counts as a weapon-specific special attack, not as a power attack or anything. Warmachine MK2 BRB, p36 right paragraph and p47 bottom left
Last edited by baummonster on Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Honor I do not seek, but a worthy death must be earned

Bigfi

Post by Bigfi » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:30 pm

Thanks!
fool me once shame on me, fool me twice... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!
Cryx, Circle, CSM, and BA armies