Mixed stats within the unit. (platforms)

Discuss the mechanics of Dark Potential here.
Forum rules
Please understand that by posting anything in this area of the forum that you are acknowledging that MiniWarGaming has permission to use your ideas without compensation.
miniwargaming
Site Admin

Re: Mixed stats within the unit. (platforms)

Post by miniwargaming » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:37 pm

What I plan on doing is allowing the squad to apply the squad bonus, just like regular shooting. This means that you only apply it for those that are in line of sight, and the range band will be determined by the one that is furthest away.

While this doesn't make 100% logical sense, it fits perfectly with the way the rules work.

cymruvoodoo
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by cymruvoodoo » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:01 pm

Well, I think perhaps a good compromise solution in one respect is to make this more like the normal rules for shooting. The unit is shooting, so the unit must have LoS. The gun model is an additional restriction and so must have LoF, and you measure range from the gun. That, I think, solves the issue of people putting the gun out in the open and the crew in cover (although that seems an eminently sensible way to fire a gun if you ask me)

That then removes the need to worry about whether the gun can be attacked, and thus means we can once again simply state that the gun cannot be attacked and takes no damage from AoE attacks. Question: can gun models be made contagious?

EDIT: Just saw the above post. Well, that's interesting. I am not sure if measuring from the furthest away member of the squad makes that much sense but in the interest of abstraction and keeping everything moving I think it will do for now.

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Post by miniwargaming » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:25 pm

cymruvoodoo wrote:EDIT: Just saw the above post. Well, that's interesting. I am not sure if measuring from the furthest away member of the squad makes that much sense but in the interest of abstraction and keeping everything moving I think it will do for now.
Remember the Range Band is not a measure of how far a projectile goes, but more how hard it is for a unit to target another unit.

cymruvoodoo
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by cymruvoodoo » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:24 pm

Oh, I'm not worried about that. My concern is more than for a normal gun crew, you've got perhaps two people at most who need to see the target - the gunner and the spotter. Other members of the crew are there for loading, controlling other aspects of the weapon system, humping additional ammunition, etc. That being said, I'm going to run some tests tomorrow or the next day with any luck and we'll see what happens then.