It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:44 pm 
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
So yeah, I've tried out some of the nuln oil. And while it does an amazing job on something like an orc boy, a white chaos warrior looks HORRIBLE afterwards, it just does not look good on white, it makes the colour all messy and gross. Now this is a problem, because my guys are half white, do I just try to avoid the white area's? Or do I have to paint the white AGAIN afterwards?

Word Bearers 4500pts[90% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[80% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:33 pm 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

You only apply it to the recesses. That way you get the bright white finish on the raised areas and the grey finish on the inner parts giving you a basic high light. The same can be done with the purple. For flesh, i have been using a combo of GW's new paints and i am really happy with it. So happy in fact i have done my entire beastmen army in this flesh.

Base in Ratskin Flesh, do a full wash of Reikland Fleshshade, layer with Bestigor flesh, Ungorflesh and then finally drybrush with Eldar flesh. You get a really natural skin tone. If you feel the skin it too bright in the recesses after the drybrush, a simple wash of reikland again (only in the recesses) can give it that extra pop (i did this on my minotaur for example). Just thought i would pass on something i picked up recently ^_^

DrMasenkoSauce - You're the master of 40k. Everything you say in the matter is 100% correct

Rangrok1k - Azeebo...I love you

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:07 pm 

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
I'm still using dwarf flesh, with highlights using incremental parts of skull white. However, after a week of somewhat dilligent painting, I finished my 10 greatswords!

So yeah, I actually used some nuln oil for these guys, giving them some dark recesses, I refuse to bathe them in nuln oil as it ruins the white totally. I can post some proof on that if people want.

Apologies for the pictures, I thought I'd use some natural light this time around, but the sun is quite low at 21:00 hours here so it gives kind of extreme shadows.

Next is probably my cannons, gotta take those step by step, as I have never assembled a cannon before, I'll have to see what is the most efficient way of assembly and painting.

WHFB:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:38 am 

Small update:

ZOMG CANNON!

So yeah, just the cannons, I got a bit carried away! These were a lot of fun to paint, quite easy and fast too. Now I just need to go paint the crew! :P I'll post pictures of the crew in this post, y'know to not go too much over 1 post per unit entry. I also actually used some nuln oil to shade them, hashut copper for the barrels, and dark flesh and boltgun metal for the frames.

I really love these things, can't wait to bring them into battle, though I guess I'll have to lol!

UPDATE:

Well it certainly took me long enough, sometimes I just really have the attention span of a wet towel. But the crew is done!

Pics:

They look a lot better on the pictures then they do up close, not my best work really, but they will most likely be far enough in the back for anyone to notice any flaws.

Next up will most likely be 2 knights of the inner circle and probably 6 reiksguard.

P.S. if you people want to me link thumbnails instead, I can do that too, in case this topic is becoming too pic heavy and such.

WHFB:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:26 am 

Right! So I have some minor updates, sadly I do not have much to show at this moment, due to a small daemonic intermezzo:

I had to get these done so I could use them last wednsday, the painting is a bit of a rush job, but they look pretty ok from across the table. I tried some nuln oil on these, a basecoat of scab red, some nuln oil over that and then a drybrush of blood red, then some detail work. They need their bases done still, them and the rest of my armies.

I did get some empire stuff done, most notably 2 knightly orders.

Now I absolutely hate the guy with the chicken head, I might replace his head when I find an appropriate replacement, his face turned out very goofy like. They might also need some touching up on the details, but the other guy I like. These 2 bring my knightly orders up to a nice unit of 10. EDIT: Oh god the mold lines >.< I cannot believe I left those there on the horses' legs! I will have to revisit these models before taking them to a game.

At the moment I'm working on my Reiksguard:

As you can see, very much a work in progress, but then, this is a work in progress blog. I didn't glue the riders to the horses of course, that is why they are a bit wonky, and their shields are being done seperately. I opted to assemble the riders to save time, as most of the details are reachable when they are assembled. At the moment they are just primed and hit with a basecoat of chainmail, which will probably get a wash of nuln oil, and a drybrush of mithril silver, to get that classic reiksguard shine.

The main reason for this update is that I will be leaving for the father country(The Netherlands) for a couple of weeks and I will be unable to paint at all! :( Not only that, but I will be completely deprived of all things warhammer, save for a couple of dusty old chaos marines and a broken chaos landraider owned by my brother :P Well that and a stack of dusty old outdated army books and codices.

Images uploaded with imageshack.us

WHFB:

Last edited by Arnathos on Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:08 am 
MWG Fanatic

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entries
Looking good man! Those Knights will look sharp! darn distracting daemons. They are easy to paint, so its a nice break from something tricky like empire.

Nice cannons too man! Ive been rocking dwarfs and loving the warmachines! The crew looks nice as well.... one small thing... they seem a little too clean. Maybe add some burn marks on them or gun powder. Dont gte me wrong they look awesome and the faces and beards are perfect!

Hordes: Skorne = 100
All 100% Painted

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:59 pm 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Looks awesome, Love the guy holding the cannon ball, he made me think of the father from Fiddler on the Roof for some reason

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:26 am 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

awesome as usual like, the knights

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:36 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

I like the guy with the cannonball who like he's just seen his best bud get nommed by a daemon or something :lol:

Skragskull's Silva Slayas - Orks, ~1500 pts.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:02 am 

Thanks for the comments! So I've returned to Finland well over a week a go, and I've been taking my sweet time getting painting done. My Reiksguard took me quite a few hours to complete, and the end result is pretty ok. So without further ado, pics!

I'm pretty fed up with horses for the moment, and I want to get stuff done, so I'm thinking about finishing another batch of 20 Halbadiers next. I actually did some minor, minor free hand on the reiksguard. I am still very intimidated by the prospect of having to do free hand on my bsb(not using the grim reaper on a stick bsb, no way, no how!), so I'm postponing that as long as possible. I hope you guys enjoy the pics!

WHFB:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:42 am 

They are some fancy knights! I'm loving your army so far, can't wait to see it finished up!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:44 am 

So updates! Small ones, but updates nonetheless. While I was supposed to be finishing my halbadiers, I could not sleep untill I finished my BSB, so here is some pics:

Front

Side

Back

I'm really pleased with the results, the gold armour work pretty well I think, even though I used to always mess it up, some highlighting really helped make it look good. This is also one of my first models that has not been drybrushed at all. I stole a transfer from my Wife's brettonians as I am still not confident in my ability to do free hand.

I have not been completely slacking on the halbadiers though, and in the mindset of 'Screenshot or it didn't happen.' here is a picture of my halbadiers, minus halberds, catagorized by hair colour.

Uploaded with Imageshack.us, as always.

WHFB:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:34 am 

Loving your work Arnathos, great stuff.

Regards,
Sparker

"Alea iacta est" / "The die is cast"
Latin phrase attributed by Suetonius to Julius Caesar 49BC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:59 am 

Thanks Sparker! Well, after much slacking, and occasionally actually making progress, I finished my Halbadiers. I have picks, sadly, their (mostly)pretty faces are hidden behind clumsy halberds. But I took pics anyway.

Set 1

Set 2

Set 3

Set 4

This bring my total amount of Halberds up to a whopping 50! I can't believe I actually painted all of them! I'm thinking of doing some small touch ups on the unit Standard before posting a proper picture of the whole unit.

I also need to start making some movement trays for my army, as I plan to field it next week for the first time(using what I have ready). I have some of the GW ones so that shouldn't take too much time.

Next on the 'to do' list is my TGM, or GM nowadays, although I fancy him still being a T, hence I keep calling him TGM. After that all I have is a bunch more crossbowmen, and I hope I don't mess them up positioning wise like I did with the last ones >>

Anyway, I hope you guys enjoy and I'll get to work on my Templar Grand Master!

WHFB:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:19 am 

So Updates again! This time its my Templar Grand Master.

First off a quick look at his face, under the faceplate:
Not the worlds prettiest face, and not one of my best either, but then that's what faceplates are for!

The faceplate:

A nice side shot:

The other side:

And finally a shot in the back, err, I mean from the back:

I'm pretty happy with how he looks right now, I messed up the shield a bit, its supposed to read 'ego deus' but it'll be fine from across the table, the same goes for his face, not my best work, but the face plate and 4' make up for a lot. I need to do some touching up on the runefang gems, add some darker red, some orange and a white dot to make them look shiny, maybe do some detailing on the hooves, but overall he is ready for next Wednesday, when I will be fielding my entire empire force for the first time ever! I will most likely get my butt kicked, but at least I wont be 'that guy' with the Daemons(Playing Daemons always makes you 'that guy' imho).

I still have 10 crossbowmen to do, and I'll probably finish them next week, but not before the game. I hope you guys enjoy the pics.

Images uploaded with Imageshack.us

WHFB:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next