It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:48 am 
In other word, I bought a bunch of Wood Elves, peach of a bargain, and I love doing armies very few people bother with. Here's what I got for my money:

Drycha
1 Branchwraith
2 Spellsingers
1 Highborn/Noble
1 Spellweaver
5 Wild Riders of Khornos
3 Treekin
16 Glade Riders (formed into 2 units)
2 Warhawk Riders (which I plan on expanding to a legal unit but am using as Eagles right now)
20 Dryads

What do you make of that? What should I do with the army? I intend to kitbash a unit of Eternal Guard using a High Elves regiment and a Glade Guard unit, along with a few units of Glade Guard too, but any other pointers would be great!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:04 pm 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Eternal Guard are useless. Far too pricey for what they bring to the table for my liking. For the same price you get strong, tougher, harder to kill dryads...i know which i would prefer.

For your basic core you are going to want a few units of glade guard, a couple of dryad squads around 7-10 per unit. Glade guard are best used in units of 10-20. 10 man units need a musician and thats it and are perfect for laying down the hurt on T3 units (daemons are EASY pray, as are Skaven and men). T4 is also easy to hard at close range. Units of 20 want full command and the banner of eternal flame, usually with a HoDA Noble. This unit can deal MASSIVE damage to enemy units with 20 S4 flaming attacks then once per game up to an additional 3D6 (i think) S4 flaming shots! This is ideal for taking down things like Hydras and Hell Pits.

Dryads are monsters in combat, but are expensive and should not be used in units bigger than 7 in my opinion, although units of 10 are a bit more survivable. These units are amazingly effective against bus formation units (5 wide) since they are not getting many attacks, you have a high toughness and great weapon skill with loads of attacks. You would be surprising just how hard they are to shift against your standard S3 unit. They are also great flankers, but you are going to need a unit of 6 Treekin to act as an Anvil. You have the kin on the front taking the hits and 2 units of 7 dryads on the flank to rip things up from the side. Dryads are also amazingly good when buffed with Life and Beasts since having T8 dryads means you are not going anywhere fast.

I LOVE the machine gun noble, and so will you. Bow of Loren with Arcane Arrows on an alter kindred highborn packs 5 armour ignoring shots hitting on 2+. This can EASILY wipe out a unit of knights...and is almost a must take in my opinion. Remember he is made even better with beasts since Savage Beast of Horros gives him a whopping 8 shots!

Wood elf characters are super versatile, so use this your advantage. My guide covers some of the best builds. You can easily get a hell pit killing HERO for 150 points or so. Similarily you can get an invincilble high born who can solo just about anything in the game thanks to a 2+ ward save and easily regainable wounds...who can only be hit on a 6+...or even the dreaded Dragon Lords who are insanely hard to take down, and i have a much feared TANK DRAGON who has never died...EVER...A similar build can be achieved with a great eagle.

Sisters of Twilight on Great Eagle is so broken it is not even funny since they are almost 100% immune to everything...again, i have yet to see them die.

These are just some basics, but wood elves are great. People who say they are not competitive have never seen a good wood elf player use his codex to the fullest...I have tabled the dreaded Skaven in 3 turns flat...and that was with an all cav army...or as most people refer to it as: The most uncompetitive list ever made...that is of course, until they see it in action :twisted:

DrMasenkoSauce - You're the master of 40k. Everything you say in the matter is 100% correct

Rangrok1k - Azeebo...I love you

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:45 am 
Cool. Any thoughts on the Glade Riders and the Riders of Kornos?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:15 am 

I love glade riders, but they require a lot of skill to use. Good for redirection and all that stuff.

Wild riders are good, but really squishy. You are going to need 10 per unit. A wild rider death star can consist of 20-30 wild riders +characters believe it or not.

DrMasenkoSauce - You're the master of 40k. Everything you say in the matter is 100% correct

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:48 am 
I was thinking of having a Horde of Wild Riders, led by Orion and his warhounds, purely for the hilarity of 2 dogs outranking the unit champion. Imagine if you will:

Illineth: My Lord, the Keigh-Mon are attacking our glade, I think we should charge!
Orion: What do you think, my Hounds?
Warhounds: *growl and scratch behind their ears*
Orion: Nah, probably not actually.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:17 pm 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Feel sorry for the Mad Count's troops, they are led by a man who trusts no-one but his horse!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:40 am 
So, I've been offered about 48ish Glade Guard for £20 (the guys words not mine) so I was thinking, how does the Horde rule effect missile units, if at all?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:22 am 
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
IIRC hordes do not get to shoot in an extra rank. You do get volley fire, if you dont move the first 2 ranks +half of the rest of the unit can shoot. So 40 glade guard get 30 shots if stationary and in horde formation.

Word Bearers 4500pts[90% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[80% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:04 pm 

No point having more than 20 in a unit in my opinion. I think i l mentioned when to use what sized glade guard units, but you cant go wrong with them. Spare Glade Guard can become scouts, be converted to Way Watchers and REALLY easily converted into nobles and what not. Heck just having glade guard is nice, taking 4 units of 10 gives you a somewhat cheap, fast moving and reliable firing base.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:21 am 
Haha, I spent a rage-filled day building one unit of 16 Glade Guard yesterday, I think I'll build something else first!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:49 am 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Don't forget to pick up 2 Great Eagles. You can even use Warhawk riders without mounts if you prefer, but the GE have AMAZING uses.

They're (comparatively) cheap to field too, and go to the table expecting them to die at some point - but make sure it is *only* on your terms that they die.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:11 pm 
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
On another note, does anyone know what happend to Icanhasdreadnaught? ? His account seems to have dissapeared overnight.

Word Bearers 4500pts[90% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[80% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:15 pm 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
He disappeared a little while ago, 2 weeks ago possibly, I have no idea what happened to him.

"Wandalf, I like you. You can stay" - Iggy

"Hufflepuffs are excellent finders."
SO. MUCH. WIN!!!!! I LOVE YOU FOREVER FOR THAT! XD - Clabbage