Quick questions

Apocalypticon has been discontinued. Click here for all the details
Samahel
First post! Good job, now post more...

Quick questions

Post by Samahel » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:31 pm

Hi.

I've was asked to put my questions on the forum instead of by email so here goes:

1. My girlfriend and a friend of mine we're supposed to come play with us but when we bought the tickets we got the last 3 available so they couldn't get one. Will they still be able to come see the game? Is there any chance there will be more tickets available at some point later on, or is that all the available room there is?

2. We will be coming up from Montreal to Hamilton to play but our first language is French. Would it be possible to be set on tables next to one another, since we all play Xenos, to be able to help one-another with the possible language barrier? There shouldn't be any problems as we played in other English tournaments but that would still be easier for us.

3. I'm thinking of bringing around 5000-5500pts of Orks (list not finalized yet) but I also have somewhere between 2000 and 3000 pts of Tau in my collection and was wondering if they can be added to what I bring (just to have even more points on the table) or if this is only for Chaos Daemon-CSM and IG-SM?

Sorry to bother you with these questions and thanks for your time.

Laughterofgods
MiniWarGaming Regular

Re: Quick questions

Post by Laughterofgods » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:12 am

3. Other players have asked similar things and allies are only possible for IG-SM and CSM-Daemons.

The other two questions would need official answers from MWG.

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Post by miniwargaming » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:23 pm

Samahel wrote:1. My girlfriend and a friend of mine we're supposed to come play with us but when we bought the tickets we got the last 3 available so they couldn't get one. Will they still be able to come see the game? Is there any chance there will be more tickets available at some point later on, or is that all the available room there is?
Sorry, but due to space limitations we can't allow spectators.
Samahel wrote:2. We will be coming up from Montreal to Hamilton to play but our first language is French. Would it be possible to be set on tables next to one another, since we all play Xenos, to be able to help one-another with the possible language barrier? There shouldn't be any problems as we played in other English tournaments but that would still be easier for us.
I will do my best to accommodate this.
Samahel wrote:3. I'm thinking of bringing around 5000-5500pts of Orks (list not finalized yet) but I also have somewhere between 2000 and 3000 pts of Tau in my collection and was wondering if they can be added to what I bring (just to have even more points on the table) or if this is only for Chaos Daemon-CSM and IG-SM?
No, Orks and Tau cannot be mixed by the same player.

Lineam2.0
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Lineam2.0 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:26 pm

So all of the imperium can be buddies but the only way for xenos to have allies is if we play chaos? (some version of it daemons csm TG)

jae4x4
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by jae4x4 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:21 pm

correct, but if it makes u feel any better im only using IG/DKOK

bigoldfrog
Silver Vault Member

Post by bigoldfrog » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:24 am

I've seen as allowable allies in 5th ed. Apocalypse:
Eldar - Dark Eldar (1)
Tyranids - Imperial Guard (2)
Tyranids - Orks (2)
Tau - Orks (3)
Marines - Tau (3)
Necrons - Daemons/CSM (4)
CSM or Daemons - Tau (4)
... just off the top of my head (I've also seen Necrons - Anyone but Tyranids.. I like me my Apocalypse experience).

(1) Declare to the organizer which army you are playing, and which the ally. For every five units (a unit being any slot on the FoC, and Apocalypse units counting as three) of allied force, a unit of harlequins needed to be present.

(2) In both cases it was a genestealer infestation (there use to be a Guard/'Stealer army). A certain number of points of genestealer units needed to be present in relation to the rest of the army.

(3) These came from a more strictly controlled game, where everyone brought 3.5k points and submitted lists beforehand to be reviewed. The list of possible alliances and their restrictions took up a page (there were three Tau-Marine possible alliances, almost like their own 'Dexs)

(4) This one was hilarious; based on the idea that the Tau don't believe in daemons, the Chaos Gods and all that (or so I've been told), the desert yellow Commies are bamboozled into servitude. A daemon prince must lead the army, non daemon units must come in from reserves. Minimum FoC requirements for both allies.

In all cases, including the oodles of others I've not mentioned, the extra alliances did allow for a more 'even' playing field in regards to Marine/ CSM players versus Xenos. But this came at a cost; lots of restrictions, a lot more potential for min/max cheese (especially in smaller Apoc' games where things that go BOOM! are far fewer), more restrictions that people constantly botched, and still didn't really solve the alliance-fairness complaints.
"How come my Tyranids need to have so many genestealers to be with Guard, but Marines don't have any restrictions whatsoever?".. etc.
Where am I going with this?

Blame exhaustion and caffeine for the pointlessness and length of this diatribe.

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Post by miniwargaming » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:39 am

Lineam2.0 wrote:So all of the imperium can be buddies but the only way for xenos to have allies is if we play chaos? (some version of it daemons csm TG)
Yup.

For this year at least. The new 6th edition ally chart might change that next year.

xzandrate
Silver Vault Member

Post by xzandrate » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:17 pm

OK, this causes me to question what I've been told previously.

I have a fairly large scratch build project for my Dark Eldar, that I was advised I should proxy as an existing model when I emailed about homebrew rules, which I understand and expected. Because there is no existing model for Dark Eldar it was going to fielded using rules for a Chaos equivalent (no demonic stuff, keeping to my army theme).

So technically, my list will be a Dark Eldar list with 1 Chaos "ally", but to look at it, it is an entire Dark Eldar army. Does this mean I won't be able to do this now? It would suck to put the extra work into trying to get this presentable to show up and not be able to use it.
Dark Eldar Koven Master

Check out my Dark Eldar blog

xzandrate
Silver Vault Member

Post by xzandrate » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:11 pm

So anyone able to poke the right person to get a reply about using a "counts-as" chaos reaver for a Dark Eldar Titan? Email about confirming points went out and it's a big chunk of the army.

Is that very loose application of a Chaos Ally useable with a Dark Eldar army? It's the only Chaos piece, and has none of the daemonic upgrades.
Dark Eldar Koven Master

Check out my Dark Eldar blog

bigoldfrog
Silver Vault Member

Post by bigoldfrog » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:12 pm

My two cents are worthless, but, as a potential enemy I'd have no problem with you including the titan.

jae4x4
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by jae4x4 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:32 am

you cant take a chaos titan for dark eldar, maybe in a perfect world you could take a eldar titan but even that would be pretty cheese, thats like tau having a reaver titan.... oh wait that already happened :roll:

bigoldfrog
Silver Vault Member

Post by bigoldfrog » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:51 am

Can't you just bombard the titan? It doesn't have my thrice-rerollable Ward save if that's what you're worried about.

Lineam2.0
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Lineam2.0 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:15 pm

Tau reaver? Do explain.

jae4x4
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by jae4x4 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:44 pm

search for it, a tau player from last year had 1 reaver and 2 warhounds

Argun
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Argun » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:05 pm

jae4x4 wrote:search for it, a tau player from last year had 1 reaver and 2 warhounds
Speaking of which, my father (aka jj3) is wondering if that would be okay for him to bring again.