It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New to hordes
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:28 am 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Iam starting a hordes army. Got myself a battlebox for legion and a stirder deathstalker woohoo.. Any tips on what should i get next and do you guys any tactics or tricks that i should know?

Post subject: Re: New to hordes
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:49 pm 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

I would look into a unit and some fury management. If you already have a Strider Deathstalker then a unit of Striders is awesome. They work well with a lot of casters too. Their attachement is definitely worth it too. I like the Deathstalkers in pairs. As far as fury management the Sheperd and the Forsaken both have their place. A shepherd I think is an easier place to start. It removes as much fury as you want from a beast or it can heal a beast for d3. After that I think some of our other beasts are worth exploring since Legion have so many good ones.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:14 am 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Iam i counting this right? As of now i have 15 points?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:49 pm 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

The battlebox plus a Deathstalker is 15 points, correct.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:15 am 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

here is a sample paint scheme iam going for... constructive criticism are always welcom :P

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:22 am 

That looks fantastic. :)

What are you going to do for the basing? I think adding some obsidian would go well with your fiery beasts.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:28 pm 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

iam not quite sure yet with the basing, still waiting for that spark of insanity :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:56 am 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Ribbons Earned: Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
very nice!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:09 am 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Looks good I was just looking at a lava troll thread over on the privateer forums before coming here.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:21 pm 
Bronze Vault Member

I hope I can help answer this, if only by telling you what I've been doing with starting my army. Like you I am just starting out with "Warmahordes" (Circle Orboros in my case) and its all MWG's fault!

I picked up the rule books for Hordes, and Warmachine, along with my army's book. After that I read the books and watched a bunch of Bat-Reps from MWG, BTP, and YouTube. So I read my books, watched the clips again, and reread the books, etc...

When buying the models I started with the Battlebox for Circle with the warlock, two light war beasts, and one heavy war beast, but having only four models felt like it would be limited so I decided I needed some more bodies for tactical flexibility. For that I needed a Unit.

When I decided to get that unit I took a look at the tiered lists and did a tally of how many times each unit, solo, and war beast, showed up. Some showed up on almost every list while others showed up only once or maybe twice. Are tiered lists any good? Who knows, but it was a starting place. Once I had my list I watched the videos again and paid attention to which models kept showing up and seeing how my list jived with what people were playing. After that it was back to the books and I started digging in to the units people were actually using and trying to really understand what I was reading and how the unit works, and how it works with other units.

One less than "strategic" decision was looking at which models represent the fluff or the feel of the army. When I look at the models does it make me "feel" like how I envision them to be? Plus, we can't forget the "It just looks friggin' cool" factor! We gotta have some of that otherwise we wouldn't play it right?

The final bit, and probably the only really valuable part of this post, is the "Battle College", wiki website:

http://battlecollege.wikispaces.com/mkiiLegion

The Battle College covers both Warmachine and Hordes and goes pretty in depth to give you a players perspective on the different models and how they work on the table. It doesn't really talk about specific stats but does talk about how this guy matches up verses other units within the game that do that specific roll, or even within the army. Lots of good info here.

Anyway I hope this rambling helps in some way and that you enjoy your new army (boo hisss Legion!) as much as I am enjoying building mine. ...And as always "Happy wargaming" :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:34 am 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

the ramble always helps bro.. been reading at battlecollege a lot and still loving this game more and more.. but for now painting comes first, here's the latest update

strider deathstalker:

carni
love this pose :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:09 am 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

dude, those are awesome, I love the color selection.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:09 pm 
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Not a big fan of Legion but man I love those warbeasts.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:49 pm 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Art: love the lava-look Legion, es how you tied the DS's cloak in with it. For basing- melting snow. Not only would it push the lava look, the white would allow the colors to pop.

Strat: I personally like Forsaken over shepherds, although I usually bring max FA for both as I run beast-heavy. Forsaken has nasty offensive potential with Blight Shroud and fury use to boost and buy attacks. 4 pts gets you one of each and they are both excellent solos who will see a lot of use so you can't go wrong getting both. For now, learn how to make the shredders work best (hint: read the rules for Rabid and read them again- it's that cool.)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:33 am 
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

One word. Absylonia.

Cygnar 264 points
Mercenaries 11 points
Legion of Everblight 135 points