It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 5:37 am 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

While 40k is my primary focus I've noticed in my local GW that alot of people play Warhammer Fantasy, and thanks to sites like this one and bluetablepainting for their battle reports, the gameplay mechanics from what I can gather sound really interesting and when I complete my current army I am thinking of starting one. Now, I don't currently have the rulebook yet, but all the same I'd like to hear some advice or pros and cons about several armies that have caught my eye and really got my interested. Just keep in mind that because I will be new, please let me know if any of the following armies are particularly hard to play.

Chaos:
This one is currently running as my favourite. The models are just badass and no matter the universe I have always loved Chaos. Not to mention I hear they're very good.

Lizardmen: I don't see this played at all, but the models and the look of the army get me interested. Because I have yet to see anyone play them, I have no idea how they play.

Tomb Kings:
There is nothing much to this. I just love Egyptian themes, especially in armies.

Ogres:
For my current salary this army appeals to me because of its more elite structure and therefor, more easier price due to less models. That, and the Stonetusks look all sorts of cool.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 5:55 am 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Ribbons Earned: Mods, please no more ribbons for me. They break!
As long as you go slow, any army is viable, say a box every 2-4 weeks and you're golden. I'd say if you are just starting, a small WoC force is great for it is cheap, and a great starter force. If you like them, continue with WoC.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 6:18 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
There's a great sticky on these forums about each battalion box and army playstyle

Check out my Painting Services
http://tinyurl.com/b38xlnp

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:00 am 
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
Warriors of chaos and lizardmen are both on the cheaper side of fantasy to collect. A battalion will get you a nice start from which you can expand. I'd say go with the army you like the look of most, but not tomb kings, they are a bit harder to play and they need more models than ogres WoC and lizardmen.

Word Bearers 4500pts[90% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[80% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:15 am 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Lizards are pretty cool and really shine with a slann. they are cheap to start as well.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:19 am 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

no army is cheap to start nowadays most units now only come 10 in a box :evil:

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:22 am 

saurus come sixteen/box and skinks even more. the battalion is also a good buy

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:23 am 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
I vote WoC, and no, no army is cheap! Especially with the new price increase coming in!

"(Lebianism) is rather inefficient... there appear to be interface problems"
- Engelbart Kappa

Kidnapping? I call it surprise adoption!

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:38 am 

Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!
lizardmen not played at all? they are probably the 3rd most played army at my FLGS right now.

anyways, I would pick the army that appeals most to you, something that says *this army is for me*

Gatormen 170 points
Dwarves 261 points
Malifaux:
Ten thunders 347 Soul Stones
Gremlins 82 Soul Stones

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:31 pm 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Actually the idea that Ogres are the cheapest army monetarily speaking is some what of a myth, there was a thread on Warseer were someone did the math based on 2500 point lists that were considered competitive and reasonable. Ogres placed in the middle ranks rather than in the cheaper like everyone seems to believe. If I recall correctly the cheapest armies were High Elves (thanks to sourcing via eBay for IoB stuff), Lizardmen, and Brets though I may be a little of. The most expensive were Skaven and Orcs and Goblins.
As for the army play styles there is much to consider and enjoy.

Chaos: Any of the 3 factions are fun (if you still consider Beasts part of the Chaos factions) though there is an intense lack of shooting in all three armies (bar the Hell cannon and Flamers), fun to play if you enjoy the hack and slash stuff though. Tread lightly if you start out with Daemons, they were THE powerhouse in 7th and still retain much of their former power in 8th so play carefully with them, Beast and Warriors are more "balanced" than daemons.

Lizardmen: I'll warn you I'm completely biased here, I love these guys, dinosaurs, strong infantry and magic; decent if short range shooting, dinosaurs, flame shooting monsters that are as likely to eat their handlers as fry the enemy, dinosaurs... you see where I'm going here.

Tomb Kings: Really nice fluff, and some really cool models, and being Egyptian undead they have that level of uniqueness about them that allows them to stand apart from Vampire Counts. They can pull of good combat and shooting, their magic is a little moderate, but that is to be expected as the 8th ed. books appear to be more toned down and reasonable than their 7th ed counterparts.

Pick what you like, not what you think will win you the most, while winning feels good, trying to paint models you don't like is more difficult than swallowing yet another loss with an army you really enjoy.