It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: So I got the Razorwing
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:51 pm 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!
I used my gift certificates to ge a razorwing. Will put it together next week. I plan to magentize so I can switch out the missiles.

So, the question comes now to...what is the best way to use it and what are the best upgrades.

What advice is there from the experienced out there?

DE: 9232pts/8420 painted llllllllll

DE WIP: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=76171
Terrain Log: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=80134

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 11:13 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

All depends on your opponent and if you go first usually I try to single out an opponents unit and drop all 4 missiles 2 dc and the sc into it
1. He deploys a unit in sight and you have first turn just put it on board and shoot
2. Reserve it, pop a transport than alpha strike the contents when it comes on

It's awesome when you get first turn and you can wipe out a loota squad lol

Eldar: 500 points 50% painted

6th Edition Dark Eldar: 7-6-0

Please Check this out:

40k Showcase: http://40kshowcase.blogspot.ca/

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 11:20 pm 

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!
Can you shoot what comes out of a transport you destroy, or are all the shots considered hitting the transport since you can't target two different units?

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 12:47 am 

That is what I thought. Any thoughts on the best way to utilize. What are the best targets for them, or do you see what is out there and go for the juiciest?

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 1:20 am 

nappen wrote:
That is what I thought. Any thoughts on the best way to utilize. What are the best targets for them, or do you see what is out there and go for the juiciest?

Infantry, really. Just find the biggest squad they have and dump 4 missiles into it and watch it go away.

My awesome blog of awesomeness.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 2:07 am 
Silver Vault Member

Zero wrote:
nappen wrote:

Infantry, really. Just find the biggest squad they have and dump 4 missiles into it and watch it go away.

orks (and nids but no1 here plays them anymore) are the best target :wink:

Elves (lotrs): 2000
More lotrs: >10k

High Elves: 2000

Retribution: ~100

Attack of the Elves

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:11 am 

Lots of nids, necrons and marines here...of course, I move next month :(

Looking at the different missiles, they all seem good, do you take four the same or split them up?

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 1:48 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

What I meant was use it with the dissie cannon and sc than use other elements of my army to pop a transport than when I got then out I use the armada on them

Please Check this out:

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 4:03 pm 
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall

Of course you can pop with another unit, then drop with the Fighter.
It's no different from any other unit in that respect.

A note for Razorwings; if it's a small, elite unit like Lychguard or Thunderwolf Cavalry, consider blasting another unit, even if it is less expensive/critical to the game - the Blasts will often be wasted on them.

On the other hand, if it's a large death star, like the Shrike/Terminator death star or the Hellion death star, it's definitely worth dumping the shots into, as even with good saves, you'll almost definitely tank through a good number of them.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 5:35 am 

I was thinking over some of the options and came up with some more questions?
1)Do you fire the missiles one at a time and quit when you have done enough damage and save the rest for the next turn-assuming you survive? Basically, I am asking are they considered 1 weapon or four that you fire independently?
2) Given the above, what is the best way you have found to use them. Do you have to use all 4 at once or can you do two on turn one and two on turn two etc?
3) when engaging a unit, it would seem to make sense to fire missles first for max damage, then the guns into the left overs in the target unit. To do guns first would give the opportunity to strategically remove models to minimize the effect of the blast marker. OR do you stay beyond 36 inches and use the missiles without gun support to try and stay out of range of their weapons? I understand someone like Tau with the 8 mile range would change this some, but it is an "in general" question.
4) Once you drop your missiles on a big deathstar unit or two, do you convert the razorwing into a tank hunter with the dark lances or do you just move around the board trying to stay out of range of their AT and pick targets of opportunity?
5) When the Razorwing goes full out 36 inches, do you get a cover save like a jetbike?
Thanks for your continued tolerance.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 5:48 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

All the shooting occurs simultaneous do what I normally do is keep track of the wounds by each type of gun/missile then my opponent allocates and rolls his saves

It is a fast skimmer so after moving 36 inches it would get the 4+ flat out save

I usually give it dissie cannons so I use it in later turns to harass infantry

Usually I drop all the missiles at once, opponents tend to think of it as less of a threat if it has no missiles left

Please Check this out:

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:59 am 

nappen wrote:
1)Do you fire the missiles one at a time and quit when you have done enough damage and save the rest for the next turn-assuming you survive? Basically, I am asking are they considered 1 weapon or four that you fire independently?

You may choose how many you are firing, but you must declare how many you are firing before firing any, so you can't fire one, decide that's not enough and fire a second. You'd have to say "I'm firing 2 missiles."

nappen wrote:
2) Given the above, what is the best way you have found to use them. Do you have to use all 4 at once or can you do two on turn one and two on turn two etc?

Well, as I said, you don't have to fire all 4 missiles at once, but from what I've heard that is the best option because if there are still missiles left on it, it's going to die.

nappen wrote:
3) when engaging a unit, it would seem to make sense to fire missles first for max damage, then the guns into the left overs in the target unit. To do guns first would give the opportunity to strategically remove models to minimize the effect of the blast marker. OR do you stay beyond 36 inches and use the missiles without gun support to try and stay out of range of their weapons? I understand someone like Tau with the 8 mile range would change this some, but it is an "in general" question.

All weapons are fired at once. So could shoot them with all your other weapons and work out how many die, but they're actually not allowed to remove models until your Razorwing has fired everything at it. You also see how many hits you get with your missiles before rolling any To Wound's. This is the sam reasoning behind not being able to pop a transport and then shoot the occupants with one unit.

Also, most enemies have a 48" range, so if you're dumping missiles on them, then they can shoot you. Just get to within 36" and shoot everything.

nappen wrote:
4) Once you drop your missiles on a big deathstar unit or two, do you convert the razorwing into a tank hunter with the dark lances or do you just move around the board trying to stay out of range of their AT and pick targets of opportunity?

Just move around and fire at whatever presents itself. If they destroy the Razorwing, whatever, its job is done.

nappen wrote:
5) When the Razorwing goes full out 36 inches, do you get a cover save like a jetbike?

You get a 4+ cover save as it is a Fast Skimmer.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:53 pm 

Zero: Thanks for the clear responses. I figured the advice would be "fire it all, it will die next turn anyway."

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:40 pm 

nappen wrote:
Zero: Thanks for the clear responses. I figured the advice would be "fire it all, it will die next turn anyway."

No problem. Hard-to-hide AV10 vehicles aren't exactly the most solid of vehicles, so yeah :P

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:26 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Ya thats what happened tonight. I run two of them in my list and they put all their missiles into squads. Guy I was playing took a few shots at them but went after my raiders instead and left them alone. Made him pay for that, he shakened the one so I rammed his storm raven and wrecked it and got nothing done to my razor wing made my 5+ inv save