It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The Fluff
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:12 am 
MWG Fanatic

So, in the past few years, I have noticed more and more that people lack fluff to their army. By fluff, I mean a story to their army or their character. I was wondering if anyone still does this? I'm currently working on some for my one army but would love to hear some for others. Anyone have a story to their army or armies?

Warmachine Khador - 80 points
Hordes Circle - 45 points

Join my Chaos Ogres and WIP

Join the 2013 Army Painting Pledge

Post subject: Re: The Fluff
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:53 am 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

My High Elves were sent by the Phoenix King to scout out the land of the Dark Elves. To that end, they darkened their armour and staged a fake "rebellion", leading to them being "driven out" of Ulthran. They then sailed to Naggaroth, where their story was confirmed by spies of Malekith. They were welcomed with open arms, and now give Malekith false infomation about the plans of Finubar whilst also scouting out the land to determine the weak points of Naggaroth.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:37 am 

Fighting Gopher wrote:
So, in the past few years, I have noticed more and more that people lack fluff to their army. By fluff, I mean a story to their army or their character. I was wondering if anyone still does this? I'm currently working on some for my one army but would love to hear some for others. Anyone have a story to their army or armies?

I know what you mean! My High Elves are based on a garrison in Caledor. I've made a lot of fluff but its to much to put here :/
My Warriors of Chaos are a work in progress. The way I see it, some people love it, some dont really care and the remaining few get around to it when they feel like it.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:43 am 

My Lizardmen fluff began by revolving around a single Saurus Scar-Veteran (Troicki - who originally was the only hero model that I owned). He was given command of a small force of Saurus Warriors but found himself constantly overlooked by the Skink Priests that were whispering to the Slann. It focused on his quest to be recognised as the warrior that he was. As battles continued he lost his command to another Saurus Scar-Veteran (Knarx) who lied his way to be in charge. That mini-rivalry ended when the other Scar-Vet lost a significant battle and Troicki was sent to salvage the situation. Originally Troicki rode a Cold One but now he strides into battle atop a mighty Carnosaur, for fluffy reasons both mounts have the same name (Xax) :)

Regards,
Sparker

"Alea iacta est" / "The die is cast"
Latin phrase attributed by Suetonius to Julius Caesar 49BC

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 5:10 am 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

My Skaven are lead by a Grey Seer seeking to dominate the world with his superior poetry. His entire purpose is to conquer any who deny him his rightful place as the greatest poet to have ever lived. He pretty mercilessly butchers anyone that disagrees with him that he is the greatest poet, and kills any that say his poetry is bad. Also, he's a terrible poet.

The rest of my army needs to be fleshed out, including names, but it won't be anything super special. He basically runs an army of Clanrats as is typical with any clan, and being a Grey Seer can get himself just about any support he needs from any of the four greater clans.

My awesome blog of awesomeness.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:09 am 
MWG Fanatic

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entries
This is why I enjoy our MWG campaign... its uber fun to have people name their characters, name the armies, give them a back-story, stories as to why we are on teams and such and such. Things happen that affect your characters and armies.

Anyway, I have almost chaos dwarfs, lots of cool characters (dwarf on a bear.... awesome backstory there, a female dwarf lord.... my wife painted and wrote her backstory). All my weapons are runic style (well not my slayers) as we dabble in magic (storm of magic games) we seem to be getting corupted... deals with chaos. I also have a dark ogre army with a controversal backstory.

Im working on Lizardmen born of flame and an all goblin army, gotta work on their back story.

Zero wrote:
My Skaven are lead by a Grey Seer seeking to dominate the world with his superior poetry. His entire purpose is to conquer any who deny him his rightful place as the greatest poet to have ever lived. He pretty mercilessly butchers anyone that disagrees with him that he is the greatest poet, and kills any that say his poetry is bad. Also, he's a terrible poet.

Dude, I love that!!! So, funny, So, skaven..... I cant remember exactally... Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy....?

Hordes: Legion of Everblight = 85
All 100% Painted

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 4:40 pm 

camsmclean wrote:
Dude, I love that!!! So, funny, So, skaven..... I cant remember exactally... Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy....?

Well thank you :mrgreen:

And surprisingly, no. I only found out about the poet thing in Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy after I came up with the fluff. I haven't gotten around to reading it, but plan on doing so once I've finished "Sophie's World" and maybe "John Dies at the End".

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:06 pm 
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge
My rats are led by Warlord Squawl Wurmtail of Clan Myre (a skyre/moulder combined clan). Unlike their rat kin, Clan Myre lives above ground in the gloomy black marshes in rickety shanty towns where the Myre Warlocks and evil minds can experiment with not only warp energy, but also the powerful natural electrical currents in the air to power their devices/creations.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:04 pm 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
well...once i get my empire army off the ground so far i simply have them to be a rogue faction thats rebelling because they fell they can create a better empire with their own leaders instead of the current ones

Pen gun, mightier than the sword. Sword gun, mightier than the pen gun.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:58 pm 
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Must...resist..urge..to type whole story....Gah Resistance is futile.

( For my Brets)

William de Belier of Canos, a small fiefdom in the Dukedom of Montfort, was the youngest of four sons, and by chance a Pegasus knight, came to the aide of one of his later father's friend, Baron Gaston de Chasseur of Frontiѐre, a barony of Quenelles that bordered both Bastonne and Aquitaine, during a large scale green skin attack. William fought bravely, and inspired both noble and peasant alike to beat back the blighted orcs and forest goblins. But with victory came tragedy, for the great BAron Gaston was struck a fatal wound from a crude orcish blade. On his death cot in decreed William, whom he saw fight so valiantly and learned much about from Williams father's letters, as steward of his Barony, and asked William to marry his only child, his daughter Isabella.

My dwarf army,,, I got nothing for them, only that they are on good terms with Williams family.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:16 pm 

since the lizards seem so serious my background is a much more light hearted...

Led by a mighty slann these lizards were exposed to the raw stuff of chaos when the daemons swept through their temple city. the waves of chaos changed the colouring of the lizardmen into a deep green, their scales hardened and became purple. now the survivors find themselves wandering, searching for a way to purge the chaos from their being...don't make them angry...

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:36 am 

Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!
I noticed that achually, I think with the cost of hard cover and all that stuff GW had to cut a few edges to keep it within a certain budget, I usually just read black libary for fluff anyways.

Warmachine:
Trolls 105 points
Dwarves 261 points
Warhammer:
Skaven 9000 points

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:15 am 
MWG Fanatic

I'm currently naming mine for my ogres, but they are going to be Chaos Ogres. Walking deep into the Chaos lands, they were not only transformed, but stopped praying to the Great Maw. My Firebelly will be the key to it as he his the first Ogre Heritic. He started learning the magic of Tzeentch secretly. My Tyrant is going to be worshipping Nurgle, finding the most foul and diseased to eat. My Maneaters aren't maneaters, they're daemon eaters and have mutated the most. I'm currently working on the conversions and bases at the moment. As soon as I have some solid work on it I will post pictures. My idea for the mournfangs if they work out as I want is going to be great, personal opinion of course lol.

Warmachine Khador - 80 points
Hordes Circle - 45 points

Join my Chaos Ogres and WIP

Join the 2013 Army Painting Pledge

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:04 am 

I have been thinking of two possible themes for my Brets:
A: Their leader, an owner of a small but extensively wealthy fief sitting on the base of a low mountain with the plains stretching before it. For this fief is the home to all the knights who have committed crimes, broken oath and or the code of chivalry. For it is the role of the extremely wealthy leader to provide for all of these cast out knights needs. These knights, fight for honor to regain their right place in their heritage. They still heed the call for battle, often if not asked at all. Though because of their small size, they are limited in the size of their peasant forces. So the majority of their army is made up my knights of the realm and what ever few peasants they can spare. Colors of fiefdom are orange and ultramarine blue. Orange is a representation of their exiled heritage, and blue is to represent the wealth of that state.

B: The army is led by the mysterious Chevalier de Nuit, The knight of the night, who has a cold dark expression towards the other fiefdoms. Not knowing is true name, all the other knights only regard him as the Knight of the night. A powerful man and an infinitely wise strategist and tactician, the Chevalier de nuit is a crucial ally in wars. whose colors are black and a dark rich blue. Similar to ultramarine. And he is followed around by peasnts/ knights/ etc.

Literally just accepted to college. - 1/14/14, 5:38 pm

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:53 pm 

Fighting Gopher wrote:
I'm currently naming mine for my ogres, but they are going to be Chaos Ogres. Walking deep into the Chaos lands, they were not only transformed, but stopped praying to the Great Maw. My Firebelly will be the key to it as he his the first Ogre Heritic. He started learning the magic of Tzeentch secretly. My Tyrant is going to be worshipping Nurgle, finding the most foul and diseased to eat. My Maneaters aren't maneaters, they're daemon eaters and have mutated the most. I'm currently working on the conversions and bases at the moment. As soon as I have some solid work on it I will post pictures. My idea for the mournfangs if they work out as I want is going to be great, personal opinion of course lol.

I was going to do a Chaos Ogres army once, but decided not to. Solid fluff though. You really could work the army to fit whatever god you pleased.