It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:33 am 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!
Thanks all,

These have a white primer under green, red and black. The red and black are starting to come off, but that white is painful. I used an elctric with soft bristles (all I had) yesterday and it went easier. I will pick up some medium brush heads today.

DE: 9232pts/8420 painted llllllllll

DE WIP: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=76171
Terrain Log: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=80134

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:51 pm 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Thanks for the info.

I have a question though.

I just discovered a few bottles of Turpentine in my basement (from my freshman time in Architecture School), how effective is it with paint?. I already painted the warjack for some time, and it already has some lacquer on it. Also, does it remove green stuff?.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:52 am 
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge
Turpentine should work great on any metal mini. It will melt plastic and probably eat away at your green stuff and glue bonds too.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:58 am 

Thanks. I just disarmed most of the miniature that I'm gonna repaint, and I'm gonna leave it there for about six hours in the turpentine in a closed jar.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 10:14 pm 

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entries
I bought Dettol (british desinfectant) on Ebay because it was from a local seller and I heard a lot of good things about it's paint removal properties from plastic miniatures. Just one question before I start: do I have to thin it down or will that reduce the stripping qualities?

Update (04/29/2014): -> DPS review #8: Jagdpanther! <-
++++++++++++++++++

IMMA FIRIN MAH LAZOR!!!
O o
/¯/________________________
| BLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!
\_\¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:27 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

If you add water and it will make it go a milky like of look. Use it neat buddy. DO NOT GET IN WATER IN YOUR DETTOL lol

http://www.wix.com/saintyminis/saintyminis

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 1:13 am 

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!
nappen wrote:
Thanks all,

These have a white primer under green, red and black. The red and black are starting to come off, but that white is painful. I used an elctric with soft bristles (all I had) yesterday and it went easier. I will pick up some medium brush heads today.

It took four rounds, but I got it to where the detail was good again, though the white primer was still there in spots. I primed it with army painter black and they look fine. Will post pics sometime. Thanks again for the help.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 2:51 am 
MiniWarGaming Regular

I've always used the original formula Pinesol to strip paint off minis. A little bit in a glass mason jar, with a sealable tight lid to contain the fumes, and after 24-48 hours the paints comes off easily with water and a soft toothbrush; note you should be working in a ventilated area.

However, a WARNING... In the past none of my minis were modified with greenstuff. When soaked in Pinesol the greenstuff softened and pulled off in chunks by the toothbrush when cleaning. So looks like I'm about to become another convert and also begin using Simple Green cleaner.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:28 pm 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

What's the best method of removing paint from tanks? I was thinking of just dipping it in some Simple Green for some time but I'm afraid that it will leak into the interior of the Chimera and thus have an eternally minty smell.

My youtube

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:15 am 
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Is dettol safe to use on plastic miniatures and is it a good paint stripper.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:51 pm 
Now we're getting somewhere...

Have have used a product called Purple Power. It was suggested by some painters online. It works wonders on plastic minis. It has even taken spray-on enamel paint off of plastic minis. Best stuff I have used, even better than Simple Green.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:36 am 
Bronze Vault Member

Ribbons Earned: Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.
I've recently obtained some second hand models, and even after 2 days in Simple Green and much scrubbing and scraping, the paint refuses to come off. Can anyone recommend a stronger product? All the models are metal.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:52 pm 

acetone, nail polish remover (which is acetone), lots of options. Page one of the thread has a pretty good run down.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:31 pm 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

I use a Colgate Wisp brush to clean minis. Just take the mint crystal out first.

Do NOT waste your money on LA's Super Awesome. Sat a week, no effect.

Angeli Oscuri (DA Codex)(2196/410)
Fallen Crucifiers (CSM codex) (2498/0)

Night Goblins (3316/0)
Tomb Kings (4304/4304)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:49 pm 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Does being cold affect Brake Fluid's stripping abilities?

Angeli Oscuri (DA Codex)(2196/410)
Fallen Crucifiers (CSM codex) (2498/0)

Night Goblins (3316/0)
Tomb Kings (4304/4304)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next