It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Cryx start...
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:15 pm 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

OK, for those that do not know me, I play lots of Warhammer Fantasy and a some 40k too and own lots of fully painted armies. I am unemployed and been doing so painting on the side to help fund my hobby (mostly 15mm historical painting for some odd reason). I know the Necron 2nd wave is coming in like 1-2 weeks and I have a fair amount to order there, but I also wanted to order War Machines. We have about 8 players now and we are getting ready to start a league possibly. While I have been at the store playing I have seen many games of Warmachine and even some Hordes. I think I understand most of the rules.

Well I just ordered Cryx. Nobody else had it and I like the models and Undead stuff (Vampire Counts and Necron...). I picked up the book and the MKII Cryx Battle Group with Warwitch Deneghra, Slayer Helljack, 2 Deathripper Bonejacks, and a Defiler Bonejack. I also ordered a Bane Lord and box of Bane Knights and a Skarlock Thrall. The Bane Knights come in tomorrow and the Bane Lord was back-ordered. The rest came in today. My painting last weekend is paying for everything but the Bane Lord (60 15mm American Revolutionary War British troops).

My group is mostly playing 25 point battles. Is this a good start?

I'll post some pictures as I assemble and paint them. I should finish the next painting job tomorrow (only 51 15mm American Revolutionary War US troops), so I might start on these this weekend. Later next week I have another painting job (15mm WWI troops possibly), so I will not be able to get a lot done likely... then my Necron stuff will be in, so I might be going slow the first few weeks.

My painting services:https://www.facebook.com/toddabbottpainting

Post subject: Re: Cryx start...
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:34 pm 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting Pledges
TODDA,! It is a very good start. Also pick up a few of the rule books and check out this site
http://battlecollege.wikispaces.com/mkiiCryx
..... :mrgreen:

Khani I have to admit, you're awesome -wulfrun

In the grim darkness of the near future there is only.... Khani? -the airman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:09 pm 

Thats a very textbook start. Which means its very good. pDenny is just disgusting (in good way), the deathrippers are also pretty good. the defiler and slayer are solid options but probably wont see too much table time once you get seethers and ripjaws. Deathjack is freaking awesome! Withershadow combine can give you good range and anti-jack presence. like khani said check out battle college for heaps of info

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:30 am 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

I have quite a bit of Cryx stuff I am just starting to look into selling if you are interested. It's mostly all assembled, some is primed black but nothing is painted so it's a blank canvas for a new paint scheme. I also play Legion and really only have the time and money for one faction so I decided I need to move out my Cryx even though I love them. I can send you a complete list if you're interested. Like I said I have quite a bit, at least 200 points worth including all the casters but 2. Send me a pm on here if you like.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:49 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Todda has joined the Dark Side. :D

In terms of stating points. It all depends. If you are just stating out then I would recommend just running Battlebox games. Gets you used to your caster, activation order, focus management and the rules.

Then from there go to 15pts then to 25pts.

This is what I have been doing for the new players in my group and will be doing a Journeyman League for them at some point to get them to build up to 35pts.

The Privateer Press Forums and Battle college http://battlecollege.wikispaces.com/ are really useful as well

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:24 pm 

I thought the box was about 15 points... I had help choosing, but I liked the Bane Lord and that picked my unit for me.

Phury... I'm not looking at dumping a lot of money into this. I'm a Fantasy guy and put even 40k above this. Our group is just hitting the 35+ point reason... so unless you are selling really cheap I am not looking to grow that fast... besides I get 70% off so my costs as I slowly expand are not bad. Plus I pay for all my models with painting commissions right now and with this and my Necron upgrades coming... and someone offering me too good of a deal on expanding my Eldar army ($600+ for $100)... Soooo unless you got a killer deal I can not look at a major upgrade for a game I yet to play for quite a while.

Well this is my army minus the back-ordered Bane Lord...

Now that said... if I did shoot for 35 points... what would work well with what I have?

Last edited by Todda on Mon May 21, 2012 7:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:30 pm 

Oh... and I like the colors the pictures in the book show... glossy black with gold trim and green lights. I think that is what I am aiming for and not the grey putty look.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:30 pm 
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
Seether and/or a Desecrator would probably be good, Seether have aggresive and have 1 focus free per turn, makes them focus efficient for 9pt. Desecrators also are decent anti-infantry and get 1 focus if within 3in of your bane thralls. Tartarus is also a good friend to your banes because if he murders someone (or is near someone who gets murdered, I am blanking atm), he gets to add 1 bane to the unit as a general thing. pDenny is very arc node efficient, and her crippling spells are fun to use turn one if you run the bonejacks up into arc node range.

https://twitter.com/Oceangrave0 Check out for up to the minute progress/life.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:08 am 

I got them all primed yesterday while I was finishing up a paint commission. With the models primed black the jacks should paint up really fast, but today is about learning how to play.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:24 pm 
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall

Good luck and welcome!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:43 pm 

I got my but kicked. The other guy pooped his feet, knocking everybody down and shooting over what had been cover to kill my caster on the 3nd turn. I did a total of 3 damage to one of his jacks. He pretty much nuked one of my smaller jack on the 2nd turn and took out my Warcaster on the 3rd.

I spent the rest of the time coming up with a color a paint scheme. I tried painting the white lines and such to make it look like gloss, but instead turned out just using a brush on gloss coat. I still need to touch it up a bit and do the base (I also painted the eyes green, but after the pictures were taken). I still need to do my swamp bases too, but this is my start...

And I agree with Matt... even though they have a cool style for the models, they are no where near as good as GW models and the metal stuff was just a paint to get together. I also am not thrilled with all the jagged plates on the Knights either. It just makes it too busy and much harder to paint.

Last edited by Todda on Mon May 21, 2012 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:14 pm 

Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!
I play against cryx regularly and I can officially say that they are pretty good and have alot of cheesy shinanigans up their sleeves.

Gatormen 170 points
Dwarves 261 points
Malifaux:
Ten thunders 347 Soul Stones
Gremlins 82 Soul Stones

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:59 pm 

I know, but just running the Battle Boxes against each other with no units or anything to back it up seemed to leave Cryx at a pretty bad disadvantage. My friend had Cryx also and his 2 kids had the starter box. Both Cryx died fast. He did better and focused on hitting his Warcaster, but the it was still hard and his Jacks could not stand up against the Kador's big jacks. I think with larger armies... and stuff with sole tokens to take I think I would do better.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:22 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Cryx has one of if not the worst battle box when playing box against box. Slayer is basically the equivalent of a light jack in most factions and the bone jacks are decent but with 4 jacks to allocate focus to it just doesn't stretch that far. When you get some more units and play in the 25 points range you will see a drastic improvement. Cryx is usually in tier 1 as far as armies go just takes some getting used to playing.

What they lack in real jack damage they make up with some crazy units. Bane Thralls for instance 2-3 of them on the charge can take out almost any jack on their own. Also coupled with Denegrah you can really nerf units/jacks stats to lay a hurt on them.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:52 pm 

That is what I figured, but the only experienced player insisted that Cryx were the strongest and that their Feet was better than the other two... knocking everybody down or freezing everybody... I told him he was crazy. I'm not sure I really even like Denegra.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next