It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:13 am 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Hey guys,

So, i have decided to take the plunge and FINALLY go with Bretonnia. After literally YEARS of putting it off, fearing the rainbow knights i have grown a pair and begun the process.

What to expect from this work in progress:

- Army Lists
- Pictures of painted, and unpainted knights
- Video Battle Reports showing my rise to glory
- Some newby tactics and ideas etc.
- Newby painting standards

Im not going to lie, my painting is nothing to be envious of. After 12 years or so of being apart of the hobby, i have yet to ever apply a highlight, and have stuck to washes and drybrushing almost exclusively. NOT ANY MORE! To show my worth to the lady i have ventured into the ancient art of the highlight!

Hope you enjoy my step my step creation of my army, leave comments with what you think and all that good stuff!

DrMasenkoSauce - You're the master of 40k. Everything you say in the matter is 100% correct

Rangrok1k - Azeebo...I love you

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:15 am 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting Pledges
looking forward to some awesome army pictures azeebo, have you bought anything yet? i would like to know what your bret army might encompass and i am sure you can paint better then "newbie standard" if you just try a bit. bretonians are where people learn to paint (as well as grey knights, high elves, chaos warriors, space marines and eldar)
.... :mrgreen:

Khani I have to admit, you're awesome -wulfrun

In the grim darkness of the near future there is only.... Khani? -the airman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:32 am 

What i have so far:

So as you can see, i have 2 battalions, 1 extra peg knight and the army book. What you cant see, is my finecast Green Knight...just an amazing model.

My first pony:

I think my highlights turned out ok...what do you think?

Sorry for the bad image quality...im using my Flip Video camera...and they dont take the best stills unfortunately :/

My first list:

My current idea for a list is as follows:

Heroes

Paladin
General
Virtue of Confidence
Gauntlets of the Duel
Lance
Heavy Armour
Shield
I love this guy. Fluff wise, he is awesome. A valliant knight riding out to defend his lands facing any foe without fear. My main opponents atm are vampire counts, ogres and Warriors of Chaos. Having a character killer is almost a must have, since anything less would result in my having a dead general.

Paladin
Battle Standard Bearer
Lance
Heavy Armour
Shield
As brettons, we need one of these. He has a 2+ armour save and thats it. He will be keeping my guys around as long as he can. Maybe throw on a helm of command for the stubborn 8 reroll.

Core

40 Men-at-Arms
Full Command
Light Armour
Shield
Polearms
People hate them, i love them. They are reliable. They will reliably die, reliably stick around in combat and reliably ensure your knights get off flank charges. I love them.

16 Peasant Bowmen
Flaming Arrows

16 Peasant Bowmen
Flaming Arrows
Ranged support is always nice. Flaming ranged support is even better! Say good bye too regeneration.

15 Knights of the Realm
Full Command
Banner of Swiftness
Pure win. 15 knights + 2 heroes is going to break through anyones flank...or front for that matter. The real hammer of the army.

This should come to 1000 points if my mental mathematics are correct ^_^

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

DrMasenkoSauce - You're the master of 40k. Everything you say in the matter is 100% correct

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:07 am 

Well I figured since you were starting out a new army with a new painting style... you would get the new paint set. Come on it is only what about 400 Pounds?

I have seen a review and they say the caps all have the locking tabs like the washes do and the new Shades (washes) darken the base color too much (well at least compared to the old washes), but that might also be with their new base colors as I have seen them on some like 'layer' paints and they did not look too bad. If they had come out with the paints 1-2 years ago I might have picked them up, but I am getting too close to having all my armies 100% painted and just can not justify spending that kind of money on paints at this point.

My painting services:https://www.facebook.com/toddabbottpainting

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:18 am 

If you look closely, you can see the new paints in the background of the horse pic. They are actually really good. The base white is AMAZING. It will literally 1 coat over black...

I have had no bother with the washes, and i have used 3 of them so far. The new devlan mud is especially nice, but devlan mud has always been the god paint.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:11 am 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting Pledges
that horsey looks pretty amazing, and the hero killer idea is nice too, especially against chaos warriors and counts, with ogres everything is to be watched out for!

thats a lot of models to paint up, good idea getting the extra pegasaus knight so you can have a squad

Khani I have to admit, you're awesome -wulfrun

In the grim darkness of the near future there is only.... Khani? -the airman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:51 am 
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
Azeebo wrote:

My first list:

My current idea for a list is as follows:

Heroes

Paladin
General
Virtue of Confidence
Gauntlets of the Duel
Lance
Heavy Armour
Shield
I love this guy. Fluff wise, he is awesome. A valliant knight riding out to defend his lands facing any foe without fear. My main opponents atm are vampire counts, ogres and Warriors of Chaos. Having a character killer is almost a must have, since anything less would result in my having a dead general.

Paladin
Battle Standard Bearer
Lance
Heavy Armour
Shield
He is not an elf, so no mundane equipment for your BSB, no lance, no shield, just give him an enchanted shield or something for a quick 1+ save. Maybe a magic sword if you can find the points
As brettons, we need one of these. He has a 2+ armour save and thats it. He will be keeping my guys around as long as he can. Maybe throw on a helm of command for the stubborn 8 reroll.

Core

40 Men-at-Arms
Full Command
Light Armour
Shield
Polearms
People hate them, i love them. They are reliable. They will reliably die, reliably stick around in combat and reliably ensure your knights get off flank charges. I love them.
M@A are sort of hit and miss, they need knights close to stay in combat, because a stubborn Ld6 is still only Ld6 and will see them running quite fast, and if your champ gets killed its Ld5, on average they will run if they get into combat without knights close, as WS2 does not really impress.

16 Peasant Bowmen
Flaming Arrows

16 Peasant Bowmen
Flaming Arrows
Ranged support is always nice. Flaming ranged support is even better! Say good bye too regeneration.
Totally agree on this one, also don't forget your free obstacle when they are deployed, an excellent bunker for a damsel with prayer icon.

15 Knights of the Realm
Full Command
Banner of Swiftness
Pure win. 15 knights + 2 heroes is going to break through anyones flank...or front for that matter. The real hammer of the army.
Beware the rubber lance, wiff the first round of combat, or worse yet, dont charge, and you will die, also avoid combat with bloodletters at all costs, anything with KB or high strength really.

This should come to 1000 points if my mental mathematics are correct ^_^

Pretty decent list, but it needs more pegasus knights in my opinion, people can talk about how weak skirmishers and flying cavalry are all they want, all I know is that when those guys come charging up your rear turn 1 or 2 with their 3+ saves and stomps and whatnot, they wont be laughing so hard any more. Just avoid ethereal stuff.

And the thing with the prayer icon damsel, wyssans wildform and a ward save for your M@A make them somewhat worth having, just don't run off too far with your knights.

P.S. Awesome job on the horse!

Word Bearers 4500pts[90% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[80% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:12 pm 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

your horse looks very good, especially for a first attempt, prob looks better in person as well. can't wait to see this thread a rolling

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:10 pm 

Arnathos wrote:
He is not an elf, so no mundane equipment for your BSB, no lance, no shield, just give him an enchanted shield or something for a quick 1+ save. Maybe a magic sword if you can find the points
Im thinking of a cheap magic blade to tackle ethereal units. I know only 1 army can spam them, but i like all comers lists, so it makes sense. Thanks for the advice on shaving points as well ^_^ My original thoughts were, he is an expensive character, i dont want him dead and i want him to do some killing. 3 S6 lance hits is not bad i guess.

M@A are sort of hit and miss, they need knights close to stay in combat, because a stubborn Ld6 is still only Ld6 and will see them running quite fast, and if your champ gets killed its Ld5, on average they will run if they get into combat without knights close, as WS2 does not really impress.
My general will always be within 12", and of course with the BSB in the same unit it is a stubborn ld8 reroll, which should be enough to keep them locked up. They are not brilliant i admit, but they are reliable damage dealers (in theory) thanks to constant S4, unlike knights who drop to S3 without the charge. If i bring a damsel or level 4 she will likely go in a block of M@A for the icon given them that 6/5+ ward save and magic support.

Beware the rubber lance, wiff the first round of combat, or worse yet, dont charge, and you will die, also avoid combat with bloodletters at all costs, anything with KB or high strength really.
My most expensive unit, 2 characters 15 knights...if it fails then its game over...if it hits right it should make an easy win at this points level. Fingers crossed!

Pretty decent list, but it needs more pegasus knights in my opinion, people can talk about how weak skirmishers and flying cavalry are all they want, all I know is that when those guys come charging up your rear turn 1 or 2 with their 3+ saves and stomps and whatnot, they wont be laughing so hard any more. Just avoid ethereal stuff.
I LOVE PEG KNIGHTS! Considering i used to run 12-15 warhawk riders with my wood elves, peg knights are just an amazingly durable version of them. Im thinking of taking 3 since i have the models, its just finding the points to take them (160 points)

And the thing with the prayer icon damsel, wyssans wildform and a ward save for your M@A make them somewhat worth having, just don't run off too far with your knights.
12" bubble should be easy enough to keep in range. I was actually thinking of putting my general on foot and taking him with them to add a punch and of course the ld8 constant.

P.S. Awesome job on the horse!
Thanks a lot man!

kilpikonnas wrote:
your horse looks very good, especially for a first attempt, prob looks better in person as well. can't wait to see this thread a rolling

Thanks!

khani wrote:
that horsey looks pretty amazing, and the hero killer idea is nice too, especially against chaos warriors and counts, with ogres everything is to be watched out for!

thats a lot of models to paint up, good idea getting the extra pegasaus knight so you can have a squad

Thanks man, glad you liked the horse. I have a painted knight now, so posting images of him now.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:17 pm 

Quick update, finished my first full knight. Again, really sorry about the pic quality, i am struggling with the limited hardware currently on hand.

I am planning on adding decals to the shield and what not, but have not gotten around to doing it yet.

I have a community question:

What do YOU want my next Knight to look like? Pick some colours, and if I have said colours, i will make a knight using them. I might even mark the base with your username to mark that it is YOUR official Knight of the Realm.

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:34 pm 
MiniWarGaming Regular

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges
i think a simple black and white contrast would look good, then paint/transfer and symbol of some sort in the middle of the shield and his chest. Black on the white side and vise versa.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:36 pm 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

That helm makes me think of the knights who say ni!

purple and yellow, complementary and jus odd!

Last edited by kilpikonnas on Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:38 pm 

Purple and Yellow it is.

Black and White will also make an appearance!

Now i just need to get the right shade of purple...and learn how to paint yellow...and learn how to highlight white :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:44 pm 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

if your a vault member there is a video on highlighting white, its for a cloak i believe, you start with grey. and for yellow, its prob a base of grey, then paint over with yellow till it covers.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:48 pm 

Did some research... apparently the new base yellow from GW is amazing. Similar to the white (which i am in awe of). Will get to work on looking up that video though. Thanks :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next