It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: First Game of Chaos
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:32 pm 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
So today I had a three person free-for-all 750 points using Chaos for the first time, I was against my friends Grey knights, and Tau. It was annihilation and I ended up winning 4 kill points to Grey knights 3 kill points and Tau 2 kill points. I'll give you their lists and a little summary of the game, but if next game goes this well I might actually pick up some of their models.

Chaos Space Marines:
Code:
Hq:
Daemon Prince of Slaanesh - 155 points
- Lash
- Mark of Slaanesh
- Wings

Troops:
Thousand Sons - 259 points
- Aspiring Sorceror
- Personal Icon
- Doombolt
Summoned Daemons x9 - 117 points

Heavy Support:
Vindicator - 145 points
- Daemonic Possession
Predator - 70 points

Grey Knights:
Code:
Hq:
Inquisitor Coteaz
Chapter Master with Heavy Bolter

Troops:
Combat Squad
Grey Knight Terminator with Daemon Hammers

Tau:
Code:
Hq:
Battlesuit Commander with 2 Battlesuits

Troops:
Fire Warriors x12
- Devilfish
- Shas'ui
Fire Warriors x12
- 2 marker drones
- Shas'ui

Heavy Support:
Crisis Battleteam x2

Sorry that I don't have the points for the Tau and Grey Knights but that seems about right.

Turn 1:
Code:
I had first turn Tau had second Grey Knights had third, and luckily neither of them stole initiative. I deployed my army with the vindicator following thousand sons towards Grey knights and Predator with the Daemon Prince heading towards the Tau. I immobilized the Devilfish with the Predator and everybody moved up. Tau then shot up my Daemon Prince luckily only bringing it down to 2 wounds, (Railguns rolled snake eyes to wound  :lol: ). Grey Knight Terminators moved towards the Tau while his orbital bombardment took out my vindicator  :cry: .

Turn 2:
Code:
My daemons came in from my thousand sons predator moved up to take on Broadsides, and thousand sons slowly moved up to shooting range. Daemons and Daemon Prince charge the fire warriors, easily we overrun them, but I have to get ready to take the rapid fire tau fire warriors, predator shot at broadsides and did one wound. I then lost one thousand son by his poisoned heavy bolter, and the Tau took out 4 daemons.

Turn 3:
Code:
Tau commander and battle suits came in and got tied up by space marines, while the thousand sons just sat and watched them kill each other  :twisted: . Took out the building the second squad of fire warriors were in with the Daemon Prince, Summoned Daemons then wrecked the Devilfish but three died from Coteaz and storm bolters, and Daemon Prince dies due to rapid firing. While the Predator keeps on shrugging off those rail gun shots.

Turn 4:
Code:
I chase the Tau off of the board with my remaining two daemons but they then get shot by the broadsides smart missiles. Space marines destroy commander and battlesuits, and consolidate behind cover.

Turn 5:
Code:
Rapid fire bolters into combat squad and chapter master then they charge where they get tied up for the rest of the game, and the Aspiring Sorcerer survived Perils of the Warp, and Terminators with Coteaz did absolutely nothing.

Post Game:
Code:
I had a Predator, 7 thousand sons and aspiring sorcerer, 2 broadsides, and one chapter master and terminators with Coteaz.

Overall I had a really fun time and to top it off I won, just wondering if I can lash people out of buildings, I'm probably going to be starting a Night Lords army. Thanks. :D

"Wandalf, I like you. You can stay" - Iggy

"Hufflepuffs are excellent finders."
SO. MUCH. WIN!!!!! I LOVE YOU FOREVER FOR THAT! XD - Clabbage

Post subject: Re: First Game of Chaos
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:05 pm 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Sounds like the Thousand Sons did close to nothing. Yay!

Plague Marines with Plasma would have been better... So much better.

Congrats on the win though!

You can't Lash a unit out of a building because you need to be able to see the target, and even if you can see them (they're on top of the building or whatever), they count as being in a vehicle for the purposes of shooting them and whatnot, with the exception of flamers, but otherwise you actually have to wreck the building to shoot them.

My awesome blog of awesomeness.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:09 pm 

Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
Thanks I will try out plague marines, I was just thinking that my friend plays Dark Eldar and they mostly have poisoned weapons maybe I will try Khorne Berzerkers, but I wasn't that disappointed with the Thousand Sons I think they did well at tying up the unit so they could not get to my other hard hitting units, but thanks for the advice.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:16 pm 

But did they do 259 points worth of damage? Could they even survive the damage usually dealt by a unit that costs 259 points?

Despite their Poisoned Weapons, Dark Eldar still aren't taking down Plague Marines that easily. Sure, they'll have a better go at it than most, but 3+ followed by FnP is tough to crack. Then against other armies you've actually got a solid unit too.

Khorne Berzerkers are great too. I usually run a unit of them and a unit of Plague Marines at 1000 points.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:58 pm 

Okay, I like running the Daemons too, so that would work with all of the personal icons, I like the Khorne Berzerkers, and I guess I could try Plague Marines, just wondering if Noise Marines are worth their points. I think I'll try to proxy a list like:
Code:
Hq:
Daemon Prince of Slaanesh - 155 points
- Lash
- Wings
- Mark of Slaanesh

Troops:
Khorne Berzerkers x9 - 269
- Skull Champion
- Power Fist
- Rhino
- Personal Icon
Plague Marines x6 - 253
- Plague Champion
- Power Fist
- x2 Plasma Guns
- Personal icon
- Rhino
Summoned Daemons x13 - 169

Heavy Support
x2 Obliterators - 150

Total: 996 points

Something like that

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:07 pm 

What's with all this "I guess I'll try Plague Marines" business? Plague Marines are the best troops choice we currently have access to. They're the staple to most competitive army lists.

Noise Marines aren't really that good. They're not bad or anything, they're just not much better than regular CSM. I do like the Doom Siren though.

With the Berzerkers, 8 is a good number (including champ) and 7 is usually the go-to for Plagues (including Champ). They're not only fluffy numbers, but neither unit really needs any more than that. More points for Obliterators.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:09 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

whatever zero says is true. if he says a flying orange and blue hippo is going to shoot marshmellows that only well end world hunger and take over the world that way. then it's true as long as zero says it. do as he says.(follow his advice. and chief's as well.)

and yes plague marines and berserkers are good units. run like 2-3 plague marines in bigger games and 0-1ish berserkers.

i like
lash prince

2 plague marines(7)
2 plasmagunz
champ fist
rhino

2 obliterators(2)

that leaves 13 points to whatever you want. maby icons. maby 1 combi weapon. idk.

nids
9/2/16

chaos
9/0/3

grey knights
5/0/1

tau
0/0/0(waiting for new codex)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:36 pm 

Haha, thanks man, I really appreciate it! Falcon's not going to be too happy though :lol: I learnt most of what I know from Zeruel and the other older Chaos players though.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:39 pm 

powning newb wrote:
whatever zero says is true. if he says a flying orange and blue hippo is going to shoot marshmellows that only well end world hunger and take over the world that way. then it's true as long as zero says it. do as he says.(follow his advice. and chief's as well)

now, thank god i put down my juice before I read this. Zero has said to me that he has followers and I didnt completly believe him until now. DONT TRUST HIM!!! ALL FOLLOWERS OF CHAOS ARE FICKLE!!! especially zero. It has warped his mind now to such a horrible extent -shudder-
just a for-warning
Zero wrote:
Haha, thanks man, I really appreciate it! Falcon's not going to be too happy though :lol: I learnt most of what I know from Zeruel and the other older Chaos players though.

You are correct... and dead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:42 pm 

Yeah thanks Zero just wondering if summoned Daemons are worth taking or are they not as useful, I just really like there close combat support. Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:44 pm 

When I was talking about "followers" I was talking about the Dark Eldar shenanigans, nothing about CSM or any of the Chaos players. It was about SagaEnder's allegiance to me in the grab for the MWG throne of Dark Eldar glory ;)

I'm not dead. I'm well and alive actually.

WandalfTheGhite wrote:
Yeah thanks Zero just wondering if summoned Daemons are worth taking or are they not as useful, I just really like there close combat support. Thanks

Daemons are alright. They're not great or anything, but not really a waste of points either.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:03 am 
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall

A squad or two can be great points fillers in larger games.

They can fill a variety of roles within an army, for tarpitting a unit of power weapons for a turn or two (such as Terminators or Incubi) to late game objective grabs.

Try not to spend too many points on them though, as they really won't be a game changer.

PS. Zeruel13 is, was, and always will be the brains behind the Chaos Space Marine Forum. He's just a little embittered with the codex at the moment, and who can blame him, so we're filling in for now.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:06 am 

What Chief said. Most of what I say is the wisdom handed down to me by the mighty Zeruel (well, I did play-test it all to see for myself, but you get the idea).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:40 am 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting Pledges
Do I have wisdom? Well on topic I saw thousand sons and immediately face palmed, it has been covered why but we have a WHOLE sticky dedicated to their horribleness

And plague marines are beasts, just as a reference in a 1000 point game a lot of my stuff died in the first turn (berzerkers, lash sorcerour and obliterators) leaving 2 squads of plague marines, guess what they did? Tabled the space wolves in 3 turns, I had an Obliterator left to help nut they plasma'd everything into oblivion
..... :mrgreen:

Khani I have to admit, you're awesome -wulfrun

In the grim darkness of the near future there is only.... Khani? -the airman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:56 am 
Bronze Vault Member

Am I the first person to notice that his original list was illegal?
WandalfTheGhite wrote:
Code:
Troops:
Thousand Sons - 259 points
- Aspiring Sorceror
- Personal Icon
- Doombolt
Summoned Daemons x9 - 117 points

You only have one troop choice. Daemons don't take up a spot on the force organisation chart