It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:08 pm 
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

Zeruel13 wrote:
Yes but what's cooler, The Dark Knight or the Adam West Batman? I rest my case.
The Dark Knight would not exist if it weren't for Adam west. Plus camp had its charms.

I am going to chuck out does anyone use green as a primer?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:30 pm 
MiniWarGaming Regular

Zeruel13 wrote:

I've been considering green as primer as well but cant bring my self to try it for one big reason... Not enuff green, think about it the majority of the green painted on Orks is the arms and the face/neck area... unless you went with a green color scheme i personally think that black is still the best choice because like Joe, the less work i have to do touching up later means that my badly painted orks will look better because i too am to lazy to fix that many models paint jobs, lets face it Orks are a horde army so the less time spent on individual models fixing them the more you can paint and so more Table top ready models to throw at your enemies!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:42 pm 
Now we're getting somewhere...

Yeah, black is great for just hiding areas you've missed. They never jump out at you. Also, with a quick drybrush of a metallic paint your armour and weapons are pretty much finished before you're started.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:01 pm 

android18a wrote:
Yeah, black is great for just hiding areas you've missed. They never jump out at you. Also, with a quick drybrush of a metallic paint your armour and weapons are pretty much finished before you're started.
Like hiding in the darkness so they will not jump out on you? Thinking you may be batman.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:39 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

To be honest, I like the dark and gritty feel of what Black Primer creates with my paint jobs. I'm also not the best painter in the world so keeping it dark helps shy away from the flaws.

MFletch wrote:
Zeruel13 wrote:
The Dark Knight would not exist if it weren't for Adam west. Plus camp had its charms.

You can't truly say that The Dark Knight wouldn't have had existed with the Adam West Batman. At the time of the Adam West Batman and throughout the decades, the comics have been very strong in both sales and stories. The only thing that the Adam West Batman could be directly linked to is the campyness flowing into the later movies such as Batman Forever and Batman and Robin, which most of us are trying to forget....

Currently Painting: Trukk
Next Up: Dakka Jet

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:06 am 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Location: having lunch in the Resteraunt At The End Of The Universe.
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
Quote:
which most of us are trying to forget....

well dang it, thanks for reminding us, we had almost forgotten them. :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:49 am 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!
Serenet wrote:
Joe wrote:
The reason why I prime models black first is because I'm lazy... pure and simple. Black (while good for the reasons stated by others) lends itself well to my particular brand of indifference.

The thing is, there are a lot of nooks and crannies in models, Orks especially, and I really can't be bothered to force a brush in there... Now if I primed the model white and didn't get in the deeper recesses, the bare white parts would easily show up in videos or pictures. With a Dark Primer, I don't necessarily need to get those recesses as they will simply be left black, which works well with the natural shadows of the model.

So really, priming black is just my way of working around my laziness.

Although, this doesn't mean I have any more models painted...

Hahaha this is the reason for me too. I tried white on 2 models once and it was a pain in the arse to reach some little white dots that the model denied my brush to reach, so i said "screw it, I wont primer white ever again, I have a bizzilion models to paint"

I am on board here! Why work harder, work smarter.

DE: 9232pts/8420 painted llllllllll

DE WIP: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=76171
Terrain Log: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=80134

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:20 pm 

cdscottie wrote:
You can't truly say that The Dark Knight wouldn't have had existed with the Adam West Batman. At the time of the Adam West Batman and throughout the decades, the comics have been very strong in both sales and stories. The only thing that the Adam West Batman could be directly linked to is the campyness flowing into the later movies such as Batman Forever and Batman and Robin, which most of us are trying to forget....
Sales of the comic, like all comics of the time, were down and the comic had to adapt to the Adam West style Batman, which was popular on tv, to survive.
I can not add any painting advice so this is explicitly a derail.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:38 am 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

honestly I can't really add much to the conversation, but priming black does a lot of the work for me. My Orks are mostly blacks, greens, metal colors, and orange, so the black works best in my case. I like my Orks to be darker, so white doesn't really help my case too much.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:41 am 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
Zeruel13 wrote:
MFletch wrote:
If you were introduced to orks/Batman in the 90s you think him a dark character, who wears subtly near black costumes.
Whereas pre90s you would see a camp+humorous figure wearing brighter clothes.

well I was born in the '90s so dark and gritty batman is all I really know lol

"(Lebianism) is rather inefficient... there appear to be interface problems"
- Engelbart Kappa

Kidnapping? I call it surprise adoption!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:37 pm 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Ribbons Earned: Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
It is also good to keep in mind that most Ork armies have 50+ boys, so priming in black saves time as well.

Noice.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:14 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
didn't read all of it but this is my reason why most people spraypaint them black
in my local GW store the present GW staff learns people to base ork black and dry brush the skins green
one of the former GW workers learned me to spray paint my orks white and give them a few layers trakka green wash
and now atm I'm experimenting with different base colors and green washes
if you want to see the effect of white with green washes see this link
ork boy
ork pilot

my photobucket album

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:14 pm 
Silver Vault Member

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
the reason i prime black is that 1- the person i bought the primer from at GW told me that if "beginner painters usually use black primer and experienced people use the white because black is easier." I asked him which one would he buy, and he said black. A load of crap, but now that i have it, i try to keep it not only consistent but laziness has kept me buying black primer. this not only works with my models, but doesnt make it as flassy and more subtle i guess. Anyway it is all preference, and black darkens the colour where as if you were to use white the colour of the paint stays bright. ( what i was told so feel free to disagree)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:20 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
also a small note the white of citadel is kinda grayish when its dry
found this out whit a lot of my ork arms as I basecoat them with spraypaints when they are still on there sprues this makes painting them afterwards easier in my opinion that way I only need to tush up some parts

my photobucket album

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:11 pm 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Location: having lunch in the Resteraunt At The End Of The Universe.
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
Quote:
if you want to see the effect of white with green washes see this link

those green washed orks look pretty good