It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:58 pm 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Very clear instructions and tips, thanks a lot! I have never tried anything other the Simple Green since it works so well for me. Perhaps I will try brake fluid sometime. Also thanks for the warning of no smoking while using break fluid, since I smoke like a damn chimney!! :D

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:58 pm 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

I tried using brakefluid and super clean on my models...left them in overnight...and only 1 out of the 90 or so boyz/nobs I stripped had the primer come off...kind of annoying, they stripped the metal models clean though...kinda weird, maybe I primed them too much?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:00 am 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
Thought I'd mention this.
If you want to get rid of super glue, you likely won't be able to do it via any of the methods mentioned here to take off paint. However, there is a product that will help you out:
It's Great Planes Debonder for CA type glues (cyanoacrylate glues ie super glue). It is safe for both plastic and metal models. With this, you can remove glue fingerprints, drips and globs quickly and cleanly without affecting other parts of the model. You could even disassemble a whole model if you needed to. All you have to do is apply the Debonder directly to the joints and seams. In a few minutes it will get a little gummy then start coming apart in short order. Note that it will not have any effect on Plastic Glue.
One word of caution - it will remove any paint that it comes in contact with as well as the glue.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:25 am 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

AffliKtion wrote:
Tested and confirmed simple green.

Let soak 24-36 hours and the paint comes right off metals in huge sheets. Plastics are a little tougher. Scrub once the best you can, re-soak them for another 24-36 hour period, then scrub again for comepletly clean models.

Ah, good thing I read this before making my orignal post, I'm currently using simple green for some botched priming I had done awhile ago and I was wondering why it was taking awhile for the paint to actually start come off, I'll have to dip them back in the containers again.

Thanks a ton for the tutorial, I've been wanting to fix up some of my older models that I painted ^_^

My youtube

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:37 am 
Now we're getting somewhere...

I gave my models a scrub with toothpaste and mouthwash and it works better then the brake fluid for me
I used alcoholic stuff and micro whiting crystals from Colgate
Soak the models in the mouth wash for better effect
I think to clean any of aboot 100 it is $12 and they smell great

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 3:51 pm 
Now we're getting somewhere...

What a usefull post my good sir! I bought a Death Korps command squad and they all came out great!... However when I sprayed the Matt varnish on my vox caster it got caked in this flakey white stuff that would not come off! You've saved me my money and my model! shouts to whoever recommended the detol brand disinfectant as well for us English! :D

P.S Does anyone know how to avoid this Matt disaster in future?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:33 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Just like to state that acetone free nail polish remover does not harm plastic models as my partner uses it on her false nails and false nails are made out the same plastic as the models. Just pointing that out guys and gals

http://www.wix.com/saintyminis/saintyminis

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:56 am 

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!
Thanks to all,

am currently soaking a large number of models in a gallon ziplock with simple green-seems the most highly recommended for plastic.

I had a old coffee can, but the wife tossed it and I didn't want to wait to get through the next pound of coffee.

I diluted as per the instructions for heavy cleaning. Will update if that works, sounds like most just use concentrated right out of the bottle.

DE: 8640pts/8420 painted llllllllll
Lots of other stuff yet to be painted.

DE WIP: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=76171
Terrain Log: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=80134

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:10 am 

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!
So question: How much paint do you have to get off before you can reprime and move on?

I put the mini's in simple green for two days, scrubbed, wash, rinse repeat and am about to do my third scrub. It is not getting fully completed. In your exprience, how much is enough?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:42 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

I personally strip them so there isnothing on them, just get most the paint of the detail then start to prime them ifyour on a rush buddy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:44 am 

no rush, just tired of scrubbing. Just thought of something. Am using a toothbrush, I wonder if the bristles are too soft. What do you guys use?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:03 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

I use a meduim toothbrush buddy what sort of minis are they. If there metal use nail polish remover

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:06 am 

Plastic ones I got off ebay, but horrible and thick paint jobs. After the first two soaks, I can see the details. It is some jetbikes, some eldar guardians and a few tau.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:43 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Will in the UK we use a product called dettol and normally leave them to soak for 24 hours then scrub them. I dont no what products you are using buddy but keep doing what you have been doing and i am sure they will come up a treat. Sorry i couldnt help further buddy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:27 am 
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge
Your brush could be too soft. Remember also do not push too hard as the bristles will spread and not do their job. I use a cheap electric toothbrush myself and it makes the process simpler. Tooth picks can help with those hard to reach spots.

I also have trouble getting chaos black spray off of plastic minis using simple green. I usually just leave what remains of it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next