It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:37 am 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
Has anyone used model train scale trees for Warhammer terrain?

If so, was it a good result, and what scale did you use?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:06 am 

Location: having lunch in the Resteraunt At The End Of The Universe.
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
woodland scenics produces several different sized trees, mostly for Railroad modelers, however, the company has recognized that wargamers are benefiting from their stuff as well and make things that are 28mm sized or damn close to it.

I believe HO is the scale closest to 28mm but don't quote me on it, however, your playiong a sci-fi game, so who's to say the trees on a particular planet aren't purple and fuzzy like cotton candy, or 2" tall.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:23 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entries
Sorry sebastionsynn, but HO is way too small for 40K the better choice of railroad trees would be something in the O or S scale. That wouldn't keep you from using HO scale trees as bushes or mixing with O or S to make a forest with trees of diffrent sizes.

I use model railroad trees all the time. Also you can use trees from the Lemax or Dept 56 lines of light up houses for those village displays. You can find them really cheap right around Halloween and Christmas at Michaels or any place that sells those lines. KMart also has a line called Cobblestone or something like that. They go for 40 - 70% off right before and until they are all gone after the Holidays.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:16 pm 

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
Quote:
Sorry sebastionsynn, but HO is way too small for 40K the better choice of railroad trees would be something in the O or S scale. That wouldn't keep you from using HO scale trees as bushes or mixing with O or S to make a forest with trees of diffrent sizes.

well, I did say not to quote me, but thanks for clearing things up and letting us know what the actual size we need is, because i've always been confused on the train scale stuff myself. it's appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:20 am 

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
dcrabb wrote:
I use model railroad trees all the time.

Do you have any pictures?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:21 am 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
sebastionsynn wrote:
playiong a sci-fi game, so who's to say the trees on a particular planet aren't purple and fuzzy like cotton candy, or 2" tall.

"(Lebianism) is rather inefficient... there appear to be interface problems"
- Engelbart Kappa

Kidnapping? I call it surprise adoption!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:43 am 

thanks for the back up, Tom. :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:31 pm 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

I hope this isn't necroing yet, but I guess I can at least contribute well. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NalhUuQWwG8
^- That's a great tutorial of "kamloopian", I'd personally say the "Bob Ross of terrain tutorials" (in a good way, that is!), just take a look and you'll know why.

Having been a railroader myself as a kid, I dare to say: that *insert curse of choice here* is waaaaay to expensive.

Wargaming figures already are expensive, and personally I feel like most "bought as is" trees severly lack depth and are mostly quite cheaply produced.

Some dried moss- / branchwork glued together, covered in glue, dipped / sprinkled with foliage (bought or made from cheap foam sponges dripped into paint and rasped..), let dry, than being glued at the highlights and sprinkled with a lighter color and thinner foliage or drygrass, or just being highlighted with paint after the first foliage are waaaaaaay more realistic and "cool to play with" then those cheap, plastic "car christmas tree" like railroad things.

Of course, there are really neat trees as well but they cost even MORE.

So you either pay too much buying well made trees or you pay too much buying cheap ones which then still need foliage (sometimes) and highlights (basically always..) - that's why I suggest to build your own.

Also it's much fun, easy to do, MOST customizable (half a plastic mushroom cut sideways + some moss, foliage and paint = orky woodlands you can't see ANYwhere else) and you can say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1NyGmn4D80
I MAAAAADE IT MYSELF!
:lol:

Have fun playing and maybe trying out some of the great tree tutorials out there (it's a hobby on it's own so google is your best friend for pro tips)! :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:01 pm 

man that guy is really twitchy, bit too much caffiene i think, and disorganized as well. seriously, if you know your going to make a tutorial, you should have everything you need for the tutorial right there at hand so you know where it is. the guy spent a good minute or more just looking for his spray glue. but interesting ideas he has though, i'll have to try it out, as some of that stuff i can get really cheap here thanks to Dollar General.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:21 am 

Anyone know where I can get moss in Australia? I don't recall seeing it anywhere (stores that is, I don't feel like raising a national park).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:56 am 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

lupusj: Try "creative" stores.. don't know the correct term but it's like an "art stores where people who want to be creative at any cost go to to buy cheap materials for a horrid price, mostly it's people like our moms who go there" - thing.

The stores you get beads at for making cheap diy jewelry, where you can get paper/cardboard in all shapes and sizes, and where you get "flower arrangements" accessoires.

Take a look at the arrangements section - there you should find dry moss as well as sealed bags with wet moss.. that stuff is cheap.

Also, with a bit of luck you can find such a "flower arrangement" corner in your local building supplies store / hardware store / home improvement store (choose which fits best, in germany it's the same word for everything "baumarkt"), like I did some time ago.

Edit: What most "model tree builders" do is what wargamers do with bits: collect what seems "usable sometime", throw it in your bitbox and use it when needed.

The difference is: for model trees you collect small branches (dead ones, no ripping of trees neccessary, those are too wet anyway), seeds of any kind, shrubbery and weeds or leaves of any kind, then put them in a big, open cardboard-box not touching each other (!) to dry for some days. Or just put them in the boiler room to fasten up the drying process.
That way you have lots of materials for free, and a good reason to spend some quality time outside. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:16 am 
MiniWarGaming Regular

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry
ozzybwild wrote:
I hope this isn't necroing yet, but I guess I can at least contribute well. :)

That's a great tutorial of "kamloopian", I'd personally say the "Bob Ross of terrain tutorials" (in a good way, that is!), just take a look and you'll know why.

:) I'm pretty sure Steve would be tickled to hear himself described as the Bob Ross of terrain.

That is also a pretty apt description.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:40 am 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Do you know him personally?
If so, best wishes from germany!

- thekamloopian indirectly teached me to enjoy wh40k the way I enjoyed Diablo2/LoD back in the day - "pwning around with a cup of coffee in one and your mouse (/tool) in the other hand.." :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:01 pm 
MiniWarGaming Regular

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry
Just via email and facebook. He know a lot about making terrain and a fair amount about home cures for all kinds of illnesses.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:59 pm 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Cool to know. I personally am a "medicament sceptical" person as well, maybe that's why I like him so much? ^^
Anyways, tell him about that Bob Ross thing - maybe he'll have a laugh and feel happy 'bout it - I'd approve! ;)

So, have a nice day pals, I'm off for teevo and some chillin' (thursday 8pm right now in germany..).

//edit: thursday.. not wednesday >_<"