It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fluff gone bad?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:43 pm 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

I really hate the "this isnt even close to the amount of tyranids coming," part of the fluff. My understanding is that Tyranids are coming from a different universe to devour biomass to survive. That being said there is clearly no food left in their original universe therefore this "vanguard" that we know about must be their whole fleet. Why would any hive fleet hang back in the cold unedibble void of space when there are potential planets right infront of them? Therefore, it makes more sense that they are the survivors of a mass exodus from a destroyed ecosystem instead of some great devoured with backup in deep space.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:36 pm 
Bronze Vault Member

Ribbons Earned: Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.
The Tyranids aren't "hanging back". They're all on their way to our galaxy, and perhaps other galaxies as well. It's just that the fleets to arrive so far are moving ahead of the main swarm to guide it to areas rich in life for the others to consume. I mean, would you invite everyone you know to a restaraunt if you don't even know the food there is good?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:38 pm 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges
sounds like the reapers to me.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:06 pm 
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!
but we may never know... the thought of the hive fleets now just being the start is enough to send shivers down my spine

I do do. The cha cha.

War Cry:
"Overly Glorified Tickle Cannons Prevail!!!"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:14 pm 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
commodore96 wrote:
I really hate the "this isnt even close to the amount of tyranids coming," part of the fluff. My understanding is that Tyranids are coming from a different universe to devour biomass to survive. That being said there is clearly no food left in their original universe therefore this "vanguard" that we know about must be their whole fleet. Why would any hive fleet hang back in the cold unedibble void of space when there are potential planets right infront of them? Therefore, it makes more sense that they are the survivors of a mass exodus from a destroyed ecosystem instead of some great devoured with backup in deep space.

Migrant fleet, there's millions of galaxies, they go nom one galaxy while they send tendrils in to others to scout for the next to migrate to.

Alternatively, the bigger the force moving is, generally the slower moving it is. These are the speedy outrunners that test the defenses and stretch resources and stuff before the main body ponderously comes.

I love you every time one of these threads show up. -Jason
I submit! /cower -Mike Nixon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:49 pm 
Silver Vault Member

I'd love to see the nids try to invade the eye of terror. Would be fun to watch :)

Swords of Retribution (Dark Angels 6th) 6000pts all up
Tau 6th 1300pts
Blue Sky Clan (Dwarfs) 2500pts

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:52 pm 

WolfsSOL wrote:
I'd love to see the nids try to invade the eye of terror. Would be fun to watch :)

Daemons respawn, Nids do not.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:14 pm 

Zeruel13 wrote:
WolfsSOL wrote:

unless they team up o.0

"(Lebianism) is rather inefficient... there appear to be interface problems"
- Engelbart Kappa

Kidnapping? I call it surprise adoption!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:13 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

commodore96 wrote:

Tactics 101 guy; don't take your whole species and run it headlong into a situation you have no understanding of whatsoever. Any commander with a brain (and we all know how many brains the Hive mind has) scouts his targets before striking.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:48 am 
Silver Vault Member

Zeruel13 wrote:
WolfsSOL wrote:

Yeah but that would be the cool thing about it. Nids adapt to what they are fighting by eating their foes, so how would they mutate and would they start serving chaos eventually?

Swords of Retribution (Dark Angels 6th) 6000pts all up
Tau 6th 1300pts
Blue Sky Clan (Dwarfs) 2500pts

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:22 am 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

The tyranids are in direct competition with each other to nom on this galaxy therefore cannot hold anything back. They aren't taking planets to capture them and inhabitit them, but take them down and completely obliterate them to the point no other tyranid fleet can use conquered planets. Unless you are first you are last making an idea of a tyranid vanguard fleets extremely harmful to the ones on their way. The Impreuim uses scorched earth to stop the tyranid "scouts" but the scouts do a better job at destroying worlds after they feed. They have already sent scouts way before to this galaxy in the form of gene stealers, krakens, and catchen devils. They already know this restaurant is full of delicious food. The fleets we see now are the victors of the race to the 40k glaxaxy, and the other hive fleets will probably either change course or starve in the void.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:19 am 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

commodore96 wrote:
The tyranids are in direct competition with each other to nom on this galaxy therefore cannot hold anything back. They aren't taking planets to capture them and inhabitit them, but take them down and completely obliterate them to the point no other tyranid fleet can use conquered planets. Unless you are first you are last making an idea of a tyranid vanguard fleets extremely harmful to the ones on their way. The Impreuim uses scorched earth to stop the tyranid "scouts" but the scouts do a better job at destroying worlds after they feed. They have already sent scouts way before to this galaxy in the form of gene stealers, krakens, and catchen devils. They already know this restaurant is full of delicious food. The fleets we see now are the victors of the race to the 40k glaxaxy, and the other hive fleets will probably either change course or starve in the void.

Starve in the void? I thought when tyranids travel from galaxy to galaxy, they hibernate. Therefore they dont consume the biomass they stocked up on in the previous galaxy.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:28 am 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

You can't hibernate forever, and they still have some organisms doing tasks inside the hive ships if I remember correctly. I'll admit the energy they use is probably small but the distance between galaxies is uncomprehendingly large. (especially since tyranids have the slowest form of intergalactic travel if in not mistaken)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:57 am 

WolfsSOL wrote:
Zeruel13 wrote:
WolfsSOL wrote:

Yeah but that would be the cool thing about it. Nids adapt to what they are fighting by eating their foes, so how would they mutate and would they start serving chaos eventually?

They can't eat daemons, they eat everything else in the galaxy and the daemons no longer have emotion to feed on so they go poof.

commodore96 wrote:
You can't hibernate forever, and they still have some organisms doing tasks inside the hive ships if I remember correctly. I'll admit the energy they use is probably small but the distance between galaxies is uncomprehendingly large. (especially since tyranids have the slowest form of intergalactic travel if in not mistaken)

There's more then one galaxy. Again, the bigger the body moving, the longer it takes to move, and with each enemy devoured, each battle fought they are gaining a more comprehensive idea of what the enemy has to fight with. They don't have to gain a foothold in the galaxy because they can enter it from any side they wish, and again, they have other galaxies that they're eating as well, ones that may be less resistant/more fertile than the milky way currently is.

I love you every time one of these threads show up. -Jason
I submit! /cower -Mike Nixon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:34 pm 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

But again the whole entire Tyranid game plan revolves around consuming biomass and conserving the rest. The space between galaxies is again unfathomably big, but as an analogy imagine you run out of milk. You need milk to survive and there is a milk store across town, and the next closest milk store is 450 miles away. The milk store has only 40 gallons of milk left, and there are a 1,000 people in your apartment building who need milk to live too. I'm sure that some people will except defeat and drive 450 miles from away to the other milk store hoping no one else will go there, however they run the chance of never getting their milk, dieing, and lose any chance of driving 450 miles back to the local milk store should everyone else fail. The rest will make a mad dash for the closer one, and they will all take the fastest route to the milk store. The fastest route will make them all come out from the same exit hoping to get their, so everyone will be coming from the same general direction. Yes some people might try to take alternate routes once they get close, but everyone should see generally where they are coming from especially due to their large psychic presence. Finally when you pull up and see a parking lot full of cars you would take your hive fleet somewhere else because the chances of you getting milk at this milk store is extremely slim. Because the milky way is already pretty full of hive fleets, that look like they wont be going away anytime soon, other hive fleets would go somewhere else if they are intelligent, which is why i believe the extent of the tyranid threat in the 40k universe is here right now, and wont be threatening on a 99.99% scale anytime soon because there isn't enough milk.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next