It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Howdy from Alaska
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:48 pm 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!
Hello all,
My son and I are new to Warhammer 40k, but have been lurking and watching videos-trying to learn all we can.
We came across WH40K by chance in a local store a couple of months ago when we were looking for a game to play together over the Christmas Holidays.
After we played with the black reach set for a while, we finally picked our armies. We are having a blast. He has picked Necrons and I am building a Dark Eldar army.
Looking forward to learning as much as I can.
So far what I have really learned is that WH is addictive.

DE: 8420pts/8360 painted llllllllll
Lots of other stuff yet to be painted.

DE WIP: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=76171
Terrain Log: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=80134

Post subject: Re: Howdy from Alaska
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:58 pm 

Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
awesome! always good to have a father/son team in 40k :D

"(Lebianism) is rather inefficient... there appear to be interface problems"
- Engelbart Kappa

Kidnapping? I call it surprise adoption!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:34 pm 

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!
I just wish I would win once in a while!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:42 pm 

Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
well maybe you could post your guys's lists and im sure people here can help :D

"(Lebianism) is rather inefficient... there appear to be interface problems"
- Engelbart Kappa

Kidnapping? I call it surprise adoption!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:44 pm 
Now we're getting somewhere...

welcome fellow newoob......are you guys painting

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:08 pm 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges
Welcome to the forums, I think you'll have a good time here.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:05 am 

mccoy0179 wrote:
welcome fellow newoob......are you guys painting

We have started painting. Practicing on the Black Reach set and moving to our real armies.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:27 am 

Welcome to the forums man. Don't be too disappointed with your losses, Dark Eldar are the hardest well written (Tau may be harder to play, but in their case it's not a good thing, they just have a really, really terrible codex) army to play in the game. You should be glad to know that Dark Eldar have the most well-written, balanced codex in 40k. No other codex has as few bad units as we do (I think there's about 3-4 that I'd advise against ever playing, 2 of which are named characters, while in most other armies about half the codex is sub-par to plain unusable).

Hope to see you around the Dark Eldar sections plenty. Enjoy your plastic crack ;)

My awesome blog of awesomeness.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:41 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

ha necrons have the least non-useful units!!!
theres only 1 unit i would NEVER recommend (btw let your son know flayed ones are terrible)
and only 1 other the (ctan) which is useful but not worth its points
all the HQ's are nice, and I would recommend just about any other unit to add to your army. :)
anyways if your your son has any necron based questions tell him to post it in the necron section and I'll jump on it like a hawk
any DE questions...
well post that in the DE section and Zero will have a wall of text up in 15 mins

P.S tau do not suck... Theres just a lot of sucky tau players, but thats not to say they aren't in need of an update... It's just some armies *cough* chaos need an update more.

"Commodore you are a hero to the world" ~ IGfanatic
"You are now extremely awesome" ~ Tmb
"You, sir, indeed are awesome" ~ teclis

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:46 am 

Thanks to all.

I am happy with my choice, as is my son. He has just figured out some of the sneaky stuff faster than I, but my tactics keep it very close.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:11 am 

Commodore Awesome wrote:
well post that in the DE section and Zero will have a wall of text up in 15 mins

Well I do try :) It has been pretty quiet around the Dark Eldar section lately though :(

nappen wrote:
Thanks to all.

I am happy with my choice, as is my son. He has just figured out some of the sneaky stuff faster than I, but my tactics keep it very close.

Come on over to the Dark Eldar section, there's a tonne of sneaky tricks we can teach you (like the true use of running two units of 3 Reavers with a Heat Lance each. I'll give you a hint: Mind games my friend, mind games). Maybe post your list as well and we can give you some general advice on that. There's a lot of easy mistakes to make with Dark Eldar when it comes to making lists, and it's very possible you've written something you deem pretty powerful, only to find out there's quite a lot of room to improve.

And I when I said Dark Eldar are a hard army to play, I meant it. None of this "He just worked out some sneaky tricks faster than I did" nonsense, because no one does anything faster than we do ;)

Dark Eldar are glass cannons. They hit hard and they hit fast. If something's coming at you, there's no way you can avoid it. BUT, if we get hit, we break. Heck, stare at a Raider to long and it'll explode. Because of this, speed is your best friend. You also want to be picking the fights. If a fight's going to happen, it's going to be on your terms, otherwise, chances are, it's going to be a fight you'll lose. You want to choose what turn things die and what kills what.

Anyway, come on over to the Dark Eldar section with the speed you should do and we can help answer any questions you have about, well, anything :D

My awesome blog of awesomeness.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:35 pm 

will head over to the dark eldar section this morning.