It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:02 am 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Todda wrote:
Warmachines is not any cheaper than GW per model. Come on a BattleGroup for Khador is $50 and includes 2 Warjacks and a Warcaster. Their models are OK looking, but I would say a box of 3 Killa Kanz would be a better deal. All the Battlegroups are that way... Cryx is Warcaster, Slayer Helljack, and 3 Bonejacks... One big model and 4 regular sized for $50. Yes this is a war group for a small game and you could stop there, but you could say the same for Warhammer. 2 Players get an Island of Blood set for $50 and stop there... of course that is over 80 models total, rule book, dice, templates.... Matt showed off his army and I bet he has $500 in Khador. I have seen enough Warmachine to know it more closely resembles 40k and from what I understand Hordes is pretty much the same game. Fantasy has much more strategy and tactics. Yes it is meant to be played with much larger armies, but we all knew the cost when we got into the game.

I knew VC was going to be expensive, so I off-set the cost by painting models for people and spreading the purchases out a bit. I paint my models and play smaller games at first. I borrow and proxy. I magnetize bases and paint models to pay for stuff. I do conversions and custom models to bring down the prices. I search for the cheapest prices. I am lucky and get a huge discount where I play, but then again I am also unemployed right now. I have collected 2 full armies while unemployed.

if this was at me i ment warhammer fantasy battles not warmachine>

i agree with you at the pp thing the models look half as good and you only get like 4 in a box.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:38 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Oh god what have I started :lol:

Okay lets no get down the road of comparing which companies models are better. Both have good models and both have bad models and lets leave it at that :D

Or Model count for that mater. Both are totally different games in that sense

End of the day peoples opinion where I am is Warhammer for new starters is more expensive to get into than other systems. It's a sad fact but there you go.

Todda wrote:
knew VC was going to be expensive, so I off-set the cost by painting models for people and spreading the purchases out a bit. I paint my models and play smaller games at first. I borrow and proxy. I magnetize bases and paint models to pay for stuff. I do conversions and custom models to bring down the prices. I search for the cheapest prices. I am lucky and get a huge discount where I play, but then again I am also unemployed right now. I have collected 2 full armies while unemployed.

Todda you a very lucky to be able to have the time, energy and ability to do that. I wish I did.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:04 am 
MWG Fanatic

Warmachine/Hordes is a completely different games with different mechanics. I collect it as well. I can tell you I have honestly spent less on Warmachine/Hordes then any of my Fantasy or Warhammer armies. I get what you're saying for models and amount you are getting, but remember every warmachine is the same size if not bigger then a dreadnaught. Also, the casters and individual models for the most part ar $10, not the $16 for a Space marine Chaplain.

People just need to remember it is a completely different game with way different mechanics to it.

Warmachine Khador - 80 points
Hordes Circle - 45 points

Join my Chaos Ogres and WIP

Join the 2013 Army Painting Pledge

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:09 am 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Odd, most characters in the UK cost £9

PP is around about the same, if not more expensive at my local *shrugs* different countries, different price i guess XD

DrMasenkoSauce - You're the master of 40k. Everything you say in the matter is 100% correct

Rangrok1k - Azeebo...I love you

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:38 am 
MWG Fanatic

I think that works out to be the same for characters. Depends on the exchange rate. The UK used to be so much cheaper. I used to buy a ton of it when I was overseas. Would bring an empty suitcase and fill it with Shortbread, Scotch and Warhammer lol.

FYI.... I usually go to Edinbourgh. Plan on going this year I hope.

Warmachine Khador - 80 points
Hordes Circle - 45 points

Join my Chaos Ogres and WIP

Join the 2013 Army Painting Pledge

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:27 pm 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges
Well to answer original posters question.

Once I get to purchase all my models(Ravenwing), and assemble/paint them for 40k.
I plan to get going on my Dwarves by purchasing more and re-doing the models I have already. (Been thinking about Wood Elves also...)

So that is going to be a lot of money coming to an independent retailer, when that time comes... :shock:

My Armies:
Warhammer 40,000:
Dark Angels - Deathwing, Ravenwing, and 4th Battle Company.
Warhammer Fantasy:
Dwarfs - Karak Eight Peaks
Warmachine: Menoth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:56 pm 

gobbo7603 wrote:
Todda you a very lucky to be able to have the time, energy and ability to do that. I wish I did.

I just painted a block of 22 Zombies today in 3 hours. Then my VC Battalion came in and I assembled the Dire Wolves and Corpse cart. I'm playing tomorrow at 2K and I would like to have 10 Ghouls and 10 Skeletons assembled, but I doubt it. I'll have to borrow models again to summon stuff.

I care little about money. I have no debt but my house and I can live quite comfortably of very little money and still buy my toys. I live better off than most people making 2-3 times what I can live off. I can make do with minimum wage easy. I got my 6 Fantasy Armies, 3 40k armies, 5 computers, HDTV, Blu-ray, a huge movie library, Wii, XBOX-360, lots of games, my 3 kids have cell phones, cameras, MP3 players... and live with me full time. I still do a big family trip each year... E few years ago it was Disney World, last year was Chicago, this year will be a huge camping trip.... I get no child support and I have several thousand in the bank. After 3 pay cuts in three years I was made $25k a year before they laid me off. I paid off all my credit cards that year because I knew the lay-off was coming. I've been collecting unemployment for 5 months now and had no problems with Christmas. I am expecting a huge tax return too, so I can stretch this out a VERY long time if needed... I can go unemployed for likely 3+ years if I had to. I will not though and will likely be back to work about the time my 26 weeks of unemployment runs out (Federal extension for Michigan are cancelled now). My pay will be much lower than I was making, but it makes no difference to me. I'd rather do something closer to home that I like that get into another job I hate.

My painting services:https://www.facebook.com/toddabbottpainting

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:22 pm 

Todda wrote:
gobbo7603 wrote:

I just painted a block of 22 Zombies today in 3 hours. Then my VC Battalion came in and I assembled the Dire Wolves and Corpse cart. I'm playing tomorrow at 2K and I would like to have 10 Ghouls and 10 Skeletons assembled, but I doubt it. I'll have to borrow models again to summon stuff.

I care little about money. I have no debt but my house and I can live quite comfortably of very little money and still buy my toys. I live better off than most people making 2-3 times what I can live off. I can make do with minimum wage easy. I got my 6 Fantasy Armies, 3 40k armies, 5 computers, HDTV, Blu-ray, a huge movie library, Wii, XBOX-360, lots of games, my 3 kids have cell phones, cameras, MP3 players... and live with me full time. I still do a big family trip each year... E few years ago it was Disney World, last year was Chicago, this year will be a huge camping trip.... I get no child support and I have several thousand in the bank. After 3 pay cuts in three years I was made $25k a year before they laid me off. I paid off all my credit cards that year because I knew the lay-off was coming. I've been collecting unemployment for 5 months now and had no problems with Christmas. I am expecting a huge tax return too, so I can stretch this out a VERY long time if needed... I can go unemployed for likely 3+ years if I had to. I will not though and will likely be back to work about the time my 26 weeks of unemployment runs out (Federal extension for Michigan are cancelled now). My pay will be much lower than I was making, but it makes no difference to me. I'd rather do something closer to home that I like that get into another job I hate.

This honestly deserves a round of applause. You do what you love to do and there isnt anything that you are going to let it get in your way. I have the will I just dont have the funds. As I have never worked a full time job and cannot collect unemployment and most of the upperclassmen at the my high school have taken most of the part time jobs around town.

Literally just accepted to college. - 1/14/14, 5:38 pm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:38 am 

Thanks...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:27 am 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

the other thing is that people dont use the terrain in the 8th. when i see the bet_reps on youtube its max 5 terrain pieces on the table. thats the main problem.

and lots of times i see the middle empty (except in watchtower/bridge scenarios).

i think a great WHFB battle needs at least 7-8 terrain pieces on table. + the terrain pieces have some FANTASTIC special rules. love the river_of_light and 2 treemen getting a SPEED OF LIGHT :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:48 am 

Terrain is very important as are the victory conditions. Just running a standard pitched battle with light to no terrain is WRONG, but the same is true for 40k. You need a mix of taller terrain that blocks line of site, are terrain to give cove and dangerous terrain to restrict movement. Throw in some good objectives and you have a fun game... even in 40k. I have a ton of terrain and I was no longer using them at home as the club at the store was finally taking hold, so I took it all into the store and doubled their terrain for Fantasy and gave a small boost to 40k too. They now have over 3 shelves of terrain. This is the stuff I brought in...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:05 am 

Terrain is important, however mysterious terrain is not always used where i play. Either its too much hassle, or people just forget about it. *shrugs*

DrMasenkoSauce - You're the master of 40k. Everything you say in the matter is 100% correct

Rangrok1k - Azeebo...I love you

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:21 am 

that is some sick terrain todda did you make any of it or is it all bought

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:07 am 
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

O_O That is a ton of terrain.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:23 am 

The only purchased stuff is the GW stuff and a sphinx. All the rest I made... mostly from Styrofoam. I am trying to get the store to get a 4'x8' board 2" thick, a warm glue gun, a some latex primer, and foam knife I can convert into a table mounted scroll saw. We need a lot of impassible terrain like the flat top hills (sandstone/Mars-scape). I can double them up and make all sorts of cool 4" tall terrain in minutes. We also need a lot more craters. The owner wants to make another 6'x30' table in back. This will give us 2 6'x30' and maybe 4 6'x8' tables to run on. One of the owners is working on new terrain for a 40k Apocalypse table.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next