Fluff gone bad?

In the future there is only war... Discuss the Warhammer 40K game right here...
Fighting Gopher
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Re: Fluff gone bad?

Postby Fighting Gopher » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:36 am

Steelhalo wrote:My only problem with Matt ward's fluff is how he overuses cliche lines.
In the GK codex I believe he says "bring the imperium to it's knees" about 3 times.

the worst part is that this goes through an Editor that says it is okay.........
Warhammer 40K - 41,000 points
Warhammer Fantasy - 27000 wounds (I'm guessing)
Flames of War - 6000 points
Warmachine Cryx - 100 points
Hordes Circle - 240 points

Nonebutone
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Postby Nonebutone » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:10 pm

Well, some Fluff changes isnt that bad.

Look at Squigs:

original fluff:

Orks boarded A tyranid ship and found squiggly beasts, they freed the squiggly beasts and brought them back with them.

Now:
Squigs are part of the Ork race, before orks spawn, squigs will spawn in enough number to create a food supply. there is a wide range of squigs, ranging from diminutive hair squigs, to Squiggoths.
Squigs are the Ork's source of Food, Fuel, Music, and Entertainment. As the Elusive Brown surprise squig remains the most exciting part of going to the Drops!

The fluff that I tend to see as "bad" is the power creep effecting fluff. I mean... in another 6 editions(if the game lasts that long!), There will probably be a point where a Ork Warboss Headbutts a marine so hard the planet under their feet shatters.

-None
"The Humans say, If you build it they will come. Alas each time I build something, Most people tend to Run." -Musing of the Dreadboss.

Ashran
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Postby Ashran » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:38 pm

Nonebutone wrote:Well, some Fluff changes isnt that bad.

Look at Squigs:

original fluff:

Orks boarded A tyranid ship and found squiggly beasts, they freed the squiggly beasts and brought them back with them.

Now:
Squigs are part of the Ork race, before orks spawn, squigs will spawn in enough number to create a food supply. there is a wide range of squigs, ranging from diminutive hair squigs, to Squiggoths.
Squigs are the Ork's source of Food, Fuel, Music, and Entertainment. As the Elusive Brown surprise squig remains the most exciting part of going to the Drops!

The fluff that I tend to see as "bad" is the power creep effecting fluff. I mean... in another 6 editions(if the game lasts that long!), There will probably be a point where a Ork Warboss Headbutts a marine so hard the planet under their feet shatters.

-None

Seeing your ork warbosses, I believe they could do it naturally at some point...That aside, you're right. Every race (mostly Matt Ward stuff, but, it's present in other codexes as well) has become INVINCIBLE!, without becoming actually invincible.
dreadlord is a bar of the fish of the friction
I literally cried -Khornate
My Brotha from anotha motha.
I love you every time one of these threads show up. -Jason
I submit! /cower -Mike Nixon

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Postby Epic Duck Mike » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:39 pm

Nonebutone wrote:The fluff that I tend to see as "bad" is the power creep effecting fluff. I mean... in another 6 editions(if the game lasts that long!), There will probably be a point where a Ork Warboss Headbutts a marine so hard the planet under their feet shatters.

Which, incidentally, will only upset the 11th Edition Marine because now his helmet may be slightly scratched, at which point he punches the Warboss so hard that his DNA permanently recodes him into a kitten.
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

BewareOfTom

Postby BewareOfTom » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:45 pm

mike..... your my hero...... :( (<-- tears of joy)
I have half a mind to kill you, and the other half agrees

"(Lebianism) is rather inefficient... there appear to be interface problems"
- Engelbart Kappa

Kidnapping? I call it surprise adoption!

TheLonelyGuardsmen
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Postby TheLonelyGuardsmen » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:05 pm

I heard some GK fluff can be a little over the top. like some guy going into the warp by himself and pretty much wrecking the place and coming out unscathed. Who was this guy? that seems a little much in my opinion, even for a GK.
Bombs, you want it? Its yours my friend, just as long as you have enough rupees.

BewareOfTom

Postby BewareOfTom » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:08 pm

thats draigo, who makes the 2W allocation abuse terminators troops :P
I have half a mind to kill you, and the other half agrees

"(Lebianism) is rather inefficient... there appear to be interface problems"
- Engelbart Kappa

Kidnapping? I call it surprise adoption!

WolfsSOL
Silver Vault Member

Postby WolfsSOL » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:48 pm

Personally i love paladins when it comes to Grey Knights fluff.

"So you wanna be a Paladin,spend a day and a night with some daemon whispering at you and try not to go bonkers. Then go to this Daemon covered moon without your gear to visit a tomb. Then kill a daemon of each of the chaos gods and bring a part back to show us. THEN go and with only your sword and some gibberish you may not be able to pronounce go kill one of the 666 most powerful daemons we have ever run across, once again with no armour".

Why not add walk up to Nurgle and spit in his eye while wearing a grass skirt and coconut bikini just to round things out.
"No sin goes unpunished, None escape the Emperor's retribution!"

Swords of Retribution (Dark Angels 6th) 6000pts all up
Tau 6th 1300pts
Blue Sky Clan (Dwarfs) 2500pts

TheLonelyGuardsmen
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Postby TheLonelyGuardsmen » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:34 pm

What if they went back to having more than one person writing a codex? Do you think that the fluff would be better? Also who's fault is all this bad fluff. the writer of the codex, or GW for allowing all this?
Bombs, you want it? Its yours my friend, just as long as you have enough rupees.

Bjorn
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Postby Bjorn » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:58 pm

They should let the Black Library writers do it, and let the Rules guys stick to the Rules. Would probably be less fluff involved anymore as it takes forever for those guys to write stuff.

It's the GW publisher fault, for letting this crap fly.
Gott mit uns

Dhomochevsky
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Postby Dhomochevsky » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:30 pm

3 Ultramarines stop an Ork AND Chaos invasion of a Forge World? Bleh.

I agree about what you said about the Ultramarine. I have a small force of them and as much as I like the colour scheme, the aspect of them being "The best of the best of the best (excluding Grey Knights because... yah... no reason)" is just plain annoying.

But a single Space Marine IS strong according to the fluff. I doubt three guys can stop a Waaagh, but I guess a full squad of tactical can, at least, create havoc against the Waaagh, fully disbanding it.
And I'm talking about a relatively decent small Waaagh. Not something like Armageddon or with Rims World (or whatever what it is called).
I don't fight. I win. Got it?

Edgar Jacobi: Heh. Well, you know that kind of cancer that you get better from eventually?
Rorschach: Yes.
Edgar Jacobi: Well, that ain't the kind of cancer I got.

Bjorn
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Postby Bjorn » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:37 pm

In the old fluff, A Tactical squad were able to take a world. In fluff now, It takes a fair amount of them, and many die. I prefer the more recent fluff.
Gott mit uns

WolfsSOL
Silver Vault Member

Postby WolfsSOL » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:45 pm

I think some of the problem s that fluff seems to be getting less about "this is who we are and why you might like us" to more of a "WE ARE THE AWESOME INVISIBLE MAGUFFENS" and that takes away something. I mean it's cool to tell us of the armies heroes and what they done just don't try and make them into the Emperor, hell tell us there history but don't make it seem like they haven't lost a fight since the heresy. You know make them cool without looking like space jerks.... unless they are Chaos... or Dark Eldar....... or Necrons cause those guys are jerks :D
"No sin goes unpunished, None escape the Emperor's retribution!"

Swords of Retribution (Dark Angels 6th) 6000pts all up
Tau 6th 1300pts
Blue Sky Clan (Dwarfs) 2500pts

Chief
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall

Postby Chief » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:21 pm

And yet the fluff for both Dark Eldar and Chaos is some of the best in 40k.

Bigfi
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Postby Bigfi » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:54 pm

I like the idea of letting black library writers doing fluff.
fool me once shame on me, fool me twice... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!
Cryx, Circle, CSM, and BA armies

Return to “Warhammer 40K”