It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Daniel's WIP
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:55 pm 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

hi everyone

In the never ending quest to improve painting skills, i, like many others, have decided to start a WIP, (i also decided how to do this because i finally found out how to get images from flickr onto here :P ). Hopefully through this i will be able to learn new things, and maybe even give you guys a tip or two if you see something ive done that you like.

Please feel free to leave constructive critisism, hints and tips

Also, i apologize if my first two pics are a bit blurry, my Mum gave me her old camera and i am still trying to get to grips with it, and also im at Uni and thus left my tripod at home :(, the other pics were taken ages ago with a different camera AND a tripod

So i will start with some stuff i have already done, i wont post pics of everything ive already completed, as there is too much, (if you do want to see more, see my flickr link below) but otherwise here we go!!!!

so these are two of my finecast vanguard veterans, some of my fav minis, i wasnt massively happy with the white, but it was still a big improvement on how i used to paint white, these have now been based, but as of yet i do not have newer pictures of them.

this was my very first finecast model, and i poured my heart and soul into this model. Bought for my Dark Angels army (my current pride and joy of my wargaming collection). Unfortunately, the guns ammo, and the aquilla on top have snapped off, due to finecast's brittleness, but otherwise i still love this model, in my opinion, definetly the best model i have painted so far.

My command squad for my Dark Angels army. The banner was scanned from the codex, and printed onto textured paper, i do plan to make a cloth banner for it, but at the moment, do not have access to the required equipment.

i couldnt show you a command squad without showing my company master now could i? This one was converted from the AOBR model. I do have the metal DA master, but i felt this one was far better to post on here.

Some pics from my other projects! My 1/600th (3mm) scale vietnam minis, which i use with the Cold War Commander rules set

some 28mm vikings from Gripping Beasts, some very nice plastic kits

and last but not least, a metal, 28mm WWII German Fallschirmjager Rifleman, also very nice models to paint

so i hope that these pictures have interests you and i look forward to reading your comments. I am a bit uncertain on my rate of updating as uni work may get in the way, but i will try to update as often as possible, be on the look out for pictures of ultramarines and tyranids which are the current projects that i am working on

My WIP http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=70250

Post subject: Re: Daniel's WIP
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:04 am 
Gold Vault Member

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge
Wooo I'm performing necromancy! Wanted to reply to this topic earlier but I forgot about it.

I've seen a couple of interesting things on your minis. For example: the face and book on your librarian look really good, although his blue armor is (sorry for what I'm saying) aweful to look at. It's not my eyes start to bleed (oh no far from that). It's just so messy compared to the face/book that it's annoying me. You're doing such a good job at the pink cloth, metallics and his face/book, why not take that time on the armor?
The thing you can learn from this is that you must go easy with the paint during highlights. You also have to figure out what parts need to be highlighted and what not. As far as I can see from the colors, they're the right ones to get a nice even build-up. But you're going way too fast with them. Regal blue to enchanted blue to ice blue me thinks? Take a little more time and do this:
- basecoat Regal blue
- highlight regal blue + enchanted blue
- highlight enchanted blue
- highlight enchanted blue + ice blue
- highlight ice blue
- extreme highlight ice blue + skull white.
With more layers, the transition becomes more even. If you would double the amount of layers I described above, you're closer and closer to a perfect transition.

About Baradiel, he has about the same thing as the librarian. The face looks really decent, but the rest is letting it down in my humble opinion. I guess this is an older model of yours? Firstly, mold lines ;) ARGH! 'nuff said.
Secondly, the clothing between his legs is very bright. If you would use a thinned down wash of, let's say, ogryn flesh you could get a little more color difference and more depth, making it more realistic.

The tanks: bravo! That small things. Keep practicing with a steady hand and try to highlight them or give them camo. That kind of things will help you with a steady hand + knowing where to place highlights.

Sorry for taking so long. I can't stand to see a topic go to waste without a reply ;)

EDIT: I'm not trying to offend you, I'm trying to help you with your painting :) Perhaps I could say everythign above more subtle, but time = money and reading = time. You don't want to be reading 4000 words on a forum.

Me: "was eating cake whilst drinking. was good"
Jackmrnorris: "This man is close to nirvana. It is known."

CMON Gallery
Youtube

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:30 am 

dont worry too much about causing offence as i said, this thread is mainly about improving my skills, so all constructive comments are welcome

as with the librarian and baradiel, due to some photoshoping, the pics are brighter, so it does look a bit more messy but i can see where you are coming from

the paint job with the librarian was

enchanted blue
drybrushed ice blue

im thinking of doing a asurman blue wash on the librarian, then do a bit more highlighting

thanks for the comments on the vietnam stuff, again the models look better in real life, because the models are so small its not easy to take a decent photo of them, in real life you can see the shaded areas more easily etc, and as for camo, ive been using history books etc, and so the pictures ive been using do not show the tanks with camo, just plain colours

when i get the chance, i will post the first pics of my more recent projects, the space marine chapter masters models, and tyranids,

again thanks for the comments/tips

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:36 am 

ok so its time for an update, today i have pictures of my Hive tyrant and an Ultramarines Veteran

i apologize for the poor picture quality, im still trying to get the best quality from my camera

so first up is my hive tyrant

it doesnt have any arms because it is magnetized, and i have not yet done the arms, overall i am very happy with this. I managed to achieve the exact colour i was looking for and all i think i need to do now is a bit of neatening up, and finish of its weapons.

Next up is my Ultramarines veteran.

again i apologize for the poor pic quality

with this model, i am not happy with the hammer, or his loin cloth. With the hammer i was trying to achieve a white with a slight blue ish glow, i used asurman blue, but i am not happy with it,

as with the loincloth, again, i was trying to achieve some shading on the white, i used badab black wash, and, whilst it has provided some shading, i am not happy with the overal result

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:40 pm 

ok so a quick update, librarian has just undergone an asurman blue wash, after which i am going to do a couple light drybrushes

as with my hammer veteran, the white on the hammer and loincloth have been re-painted white, the hammer is stayin pure white, on the loincloth ive put a layer of watered down chaos black into the crease, after which i will highlight white, hopefully that will provide shading

also have been painted the wings of tyranid gargoyles, i think they have turned out fairly well but would love to see what you guys think

pictures to follow later this week, am still playing around with the camera to get the best results

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:25 pm 
Gold Vault Member

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge
The new ones look pretty good, it's just the pics that suck. Don't forget you can add depth just as easily as you can add highlights. Sometimes your minis need some depth rather than being turned even lighter.

CMON Gallery
Youtube

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:56 pm 

A Luna wrote:
The new ones look pretty good, it's just the pics that suck. Don't forget you can add depth just as easily as you can add highlights. Sometimes your minis need some depth rather than being turned even lighter.

apologies for the poor picture quality, im still messing around with the camera trying to get the best i can get, thats why i havent added new photos yet, but hopefully sometime this week i can get a couple good ones up

im also going to try a few things from the painting guide you put up a while ago, ive printed out a hard copy so i can have it with me without flickin back to computer.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:20 pm 
Gold Vault Member

Nice to hear. I have to update that thing one day :roll:

CMON Gallery
Youtube

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:23 pm 

ok so update time

first off: huzzah!!! ive been fidling with my camera and have finally managed to get some fairly decent pictures!!!!

next is a Tyranid Gargoyle, all ive done at the moment is the base colour (bleached bone with a gryphonne sepia wash) and the wings, which are tallarn flesh, with a ogryn flesh wash, fairly pleased with it

the carapace is going to be red (im doing hive fleet kraken), im not sure how to do the gun yet, i may just keep it the same colour as the rest of the model with a few red bits and the details painted

ive also been working on my terminator librarian, first off i managed to stick back on the bits that had previously snapped off, and ive given him an asurman blue wash, with a quick drybrush of ice blue, ive also repainted his face as well.

no new pics of my hammer veteran yet, maybe tomorrow, im still working on him a little, still trying to get the white cloth correct, may put up pics of him tomorrow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:20 pm 
Gold Vault Member

larger! 800x600 pix are awesome :) From there, they look pretty neat.

CMON Gallery
Youtube

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:23 pm 
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
that librarian looks sweet!!!!! :shock: also nice vanguard vets, besides that most of the comments i had you have already addressed/been mentioned by someone else. Also like how the gargoyle is turning out so far :mrgreen:

Red Corsair: 750 [----------] 03 - 0 - 02
Necrons: 350 [----------]
Black Templar Successors (yet to be named) : ordered ----------

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:43 pm 

darkned1ight: thanks

A Luna: Ill see what i can do about making the pics bigger, but until then, if you want to see the pics a bit bigger, you can click on them and they will take you to flickr, but ill try and get bigger pics up on the next post

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:28 pm 
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!
question... how did you write the names on the bases?

I do do. The cha cha.

War Cry:
"Overly Glorified Tickle Cannons Prevail!!!"

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:03 pm 

Sniperfex wrote:
question... how did you write the names on the bases?

a very fine paint brush and skull white, and as many straight lines as possible :) it does take a bit of time, but after the first few you get used to it. Every sergeant, veteran and character, and every tank in my Dark Angels army is named

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:39 am 
Gold Vault Member

Thanks to that I can write better with a brush than with a pencil/pen:P

CMON Gallery
Youtube