Got Rules Questions? Ask 'Em Here WM/H Edition!

Talk about Privateer Press steam-powered fantasy game here.
Mattman154
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall

Got Rules Questions? Ask 'Em Here WM/H Edition!

Post by Mattman154 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:54 pm

Title says it all!

ArqArturo
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Re: Got Rules Questions? Ask 'Em Here WM/H Edition!

Post by ArqArturo » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:52 pm

This is a rather dumb question methinks, but, if you have a 'jack marshall and a warcaster in the same army, can a warjack in a different battlegroup (but in the same army) can get extra attacks/moves/etc? Or do I need to make a command check to control the warjack?.
“In fighting and in everyday life you should be determined though calm. Meet the situation without tenseness yet not recklessly, your spirit settled yet unbiased...” Miyamoto Musashi

ICanHasDreadnought?

Post by ICanHasDreadnought? » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:18 am

3 questions, 1 rules-wise, one fluff-wise and one for giggles.

1, Do shooting attacks with magical effects (such as Critical: Fire) effect units like Doom Reavers? By this I mean: Do the Reavers still take damage and ignore the magical fire or just ignore the whole shooting attack?

2, If Sorscha, greatest of the Khadorian Warcasters, knows that The Butcher killed her father, why has she never gone after him?

3, Where do baby Warjacks come from?

mindcontrol
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by mindcontrol » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:46 am

What in the name of everything holy does Electrical Damage do?? Half the models in my army have electrical damage and it does not seem to do anything :O
Imperial Guard - 3000 pts
Tau - 1200 pts
Empire - 3000 pts
Cygnar - 40 pts

ICanHasDreadnought?

Post by ICanHasDreadnought? » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:51 am

mindcontrol wrote:What in the name of everything holy does Electrical Damage do?? Half the models in my army have electrical damage and it does not seem to do anything :O
IIRC its bonus damage to warjacks.

mmchugh
Gold Vault Member

Post by mmchugh » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:30 am

ArqArturo wrote:This is a rather dumb question methinks, but, if you have a 'jack marshall and a warcaster in the same army, can a warjack in a different battlegroup (but in the same army) can get extra attacks/moves/etc? Or do I need to make a command check to control the warjack?.
When you start the game, you have to decide which jacks are assigned to your warcaster(s) and which are being marshalled, and by whom.

If you have a jack in your caster's battlegroup, it cannot benefit from your jack marshal. Likewise, if a jack is being marshalled, it can't be allocated focus by your warcaster, or be affected by your casters "battlegroup" targeting spells, if any.

mmchugh
Gold Vault Member

Post by mmchugh » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:33 am

mindcontrol wrote:What in the name of everything holy does Electrical Damage do?? Half the models in my army have electrical damage and it does not seem to do anything :O
Electrical damage by itself has no additional effect. Some models are immune to electricity, so electrical damage wouldn't hurt them. Other models may have specific rules for dealing with electrical damage (for example, the Storm Strider, Cygnar's Battle Engine, increase the damage of electrical damage rolls within a short range of it)
ICanHasDreadnought? wrote:IIRC its bonus damage to warjacks.
This is incorrect.

RedDragon924
Gold Vault Member

Post by RedDragon924 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:06 pm

ICanHasDreadnought? wrote:3 questions, 1 rules-wise, one fluff-wise and one for giggles.

1, Do shooting attacks with magical effects (such as Critical: Fire) effect units like Doom Reavers? By this I mean: Do the Reavers still take damage and ignore the magical fire or just ignore the whole shooting attack?

2, If Sorscha, greatest of the Khadorian Warcasters, knows that The Butcher killed her father, why has she never gone after him?

3, Where do baby Warjacks come from?
1) Those aren't magical effects, just the effects of the weapon. It's like saying the Cygnaran Hunter's Long Arm is magical cause it's rounds are armor piercing. The Doom Reavers would still take any effects from the attack, so long as the conditions of the effect are met.

To go even further, Doom Reavers are capable of getting damaged by any magic attack, they just can't be the target of them. So watch out for magical aoes and sprays, they can still hit and hurt them.

2) I don't know enough Khador backstory, so I cannot answer.

3) From factories, of course.

Mattman154

Post by Mattman154 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:40 pm

ArqArturo wrote:This is a rather dumb question methinks, but, if you have a 'jack marshall and a warcaster in the same army, can a warjack in a different battlegroup (but in the same army) can get extra attacks/moves/etc? Or do I need to make a command check to control the warjack?.
In order for a warjack to be marshaled, it cannot be in a battlegroup. In order for you to be able to control of a warjack with a marshal during battle, it must be autonomous.
ICanHasDreadnought? wrote:1, Do shooting attacks with magical effects (such as Critical: Fire) effect units like Doom Reavers? By this I mean: Do the Reavers still take damage and ignore the magical fire or just ignore the whole shooting attack?
Your Doom Reavers have Spell Ward. That just means they cannot be targeted by spells. They can still be affected by critical effects, and even AOE spells can still harm them.
Some models have immunity to certain attack type. Take the Cygnar arcing abilities. You can arc lightning through a model with lightning immunity. It won't take any damage, but it will arc to other models following normal rules.

Dang. Ninja'd by everybody :P

ArqArturo

Post by ArqArturo » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:59 pm

mmchugh wrote:
When you start the game, you have to decide which jacks are assigned to your warcaster(s) and which are being marshalled, and by whom.

If you have a jack in your caster's battlegroup, it cannot benefit from your jack marshal. Likewise, if a jack is being marshalled, it can't be allocated focus by your warcaster, or be affected by your casters "battlegroup" targeting spells, if any.
Ok, now that that's answered, here's the case.

Let's say a 'jack marshalled kets killed, and the assigned warjack (let's call him deffi) becomes inert. Can a warcaster or a jack marshall -from another battlegroup- reanimate deffi and give it orders?.

Also, autonomous warjacks behave pretty much like units, right?.

(Yes, I have plenty of doubts from beyond what the battlebox can offer).
“In fighting and in everyday life you should be determined though calm. Meet the situation without tenseness yet not recklessly, your spirit settled yet unbiased...” Miyamoto Musashi

Oceangrave0
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Oceangrave0 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:18 pm

ArqArturo wrote: Ok, now that that's answered, here's the case.

Let's say a 'jack marshalled kets killed, and the assigned warjack (let's call him deffi) becomes inert. Can a warcaster or a jack marshall -from another battlegroup- reanimate deffi and give it orders?.

I know a warcaster can re-activate an inert warjack, if my memory isn't failing me jack marshalls can only have 1 jack assigned, so if they do not have something attached to them they could re-activate an inert jack.

and yes, if a jack isn't inert and has to handler it acts like a unit
OH YES HE HAS RETURNED!
Your local chaotically infused servitor
"I'm starting to wonder if Ocean is in fact a plague marine." - Soria

Mattman154

Post by Mattman154 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:35 am

ArqArturo wrote:
mmchugh wrote:

Ok, now that that's answered, here's the case.

If the Jack Marshall that is controlling a Warjack dies, the jack becomes Autonomous but not inert. A warcaster can take control of an autonomous warjack by being in b2b and forfeiting their action.

An autonomous warjack basically acts like a warjack with no focus. It can't run, charge, or make power attacks because it requires focus to do those things (Unless you power it with an outside source, such as a Warwitch Siren).
Oceangrave0 wrote:I know a warcaster can re-activate an inert warjack, if my memory isn't failing me jack marshalls can only have 1 jack assigned, so if they do not have something attached to them they could re-activate an inert jack.

and yes, if a jack isn't inert and has to handler it acts like a unit
Jack Marshals can have two jacks. This information can be found on page 80 of the Prime rulebook.

Flindo
Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Flindo » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:10 pm

a question that may be dumb or may not be I am not 100%, when your warcaster dies in a 2 warcaster/lock game, do you lose the game or does it continue because your other warcaster/lock is still alive?
Infinity:
Morat 1400 Points
Warmachine:
Skorne 209 Points
Gatormen 141 points
Malifaux:
Gremlins 203 Soul Stones
Relic Knights:
Noh Empire: 68 points

Mattman154

Post by Mattman154 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:58 am

You continue, although the Warjacks belonging to the dead caster go autonomous.

RedDragon924
Gold Vault Member

Post by RedDragon924 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:20 am

Correction, Mattman, if it's the warcaster who's dying, then his/her jacks become inert. They become autonomous if it's their controlling jack marshall who's killed.