It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:25 am 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

So I've read some conflicting things around the internet and I would like some clarification. Some places I've read that GW has never made an official ruling on base sizes other than to have tournament legal figures, you have to use the base included with the model you are using. Other places have given base dimensions but then they conflict with themselves; such as saying Daemon Princes use 40mm bases but Nurgle Daemon Princes and other units with the monstrous creature rule use 60mm bases and all Daemon Princes have the unit type of Monstrous Creature so that conflicts.

So my question is: I'm using one of the Inquisitor: Severina and Sevora Devout GW figs to create a Pegasus-winged Daemon Princess of Slaanesh. The blister includes two 40mm bases with the figures but as I am creating a Monstrous Creature, should I use the 40mm bases or procure a 60MM base?

My second and third questions are, if I do use a 60mm base instead of the 40mm one, would it be acceptable to add lots of scenery to a 60mm base with a single unit on it? Or should it be left on it's own with normal basing?

Here are the blisters:

Last edited by Seamus on Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:17 am 
MiniWarGaming Regular

the newer (plastic) daemon princes come with 60mm bases so I'd say go with that if you can, it's a little up in the air since the metal one came with a 40mm (and didn't really fit). If you can go with the 60mm you can do whatever you want as far as basing to fill in the space or leave it plain if you like, don't think there is anything in the rules about basing besides eye level of the model stuff if you were to perch the model on top of something. I'm not sure but those models might need a little help to get to the same eye level of the standard daemon prince but that type of thing hardly comes into play during friendly games.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:13 pm 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Thanks for the reply, Marauder_Zero.

I would like to adhere to the rules as much as possible, even for friendly games, but I also don't want that to hinder creativity and conversion work.

On that note, can anyone tell me what the eye-level or eye-altitude is on a modern, current-plastic Daemon Prince is, please?

(My goal here is to set an example to follow the rules with even very casual play with friends while keeping the game fun. (At least to look at.))

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:22 am 
MiniWarGaming Regular

no problem.

lets see, I'd say about 49mm from the top of the base to the eye on my plastic one (hees not standing on anything)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:51 pm 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Marauder_Zero wrote:
no problem.

lets see, I'd say about 49mm from the top of the base to the eye on my plastic one (hees not standing on anything)

Thanks again Marauder_Zero!

Here's an update of what I did between finishing the primer coat on my gaming table and applying texture to it:

(I added Daemonette hands to her main hands and used two more Daemonette hands with arms for her mid-level appendages.)

The aluminum foil is between the wings here to keep the distance between them consistent while the glue and GS dries.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:02 pm 
MiniWarGaming Regular

looks pretty good so far, what kind of head are you going to put on it?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:17 am 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Good question, the Severina and Sevora Devout heads that came with the body are full on bionic heads wearing gimp masks. If it were just the leather toting, I could pull that off as "Daemon-y" but I don't think the bionics fit in with the crab hands.

So my main idea is since Daemon Princes are usually primarchs or as MWG Dave put it, "1 in a googleplex percent, they are quite rare," even though it is FAR from fluffy, as they almost NEVER succumb to the powers of chaos, the idea of sculpting a platinum-haired Adepta Sororitas head to put on this along with some of her black armour-y bits to finish her off would be the current plan.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:16 am 
MiniWarGaming Regular

you are a braver man than I, sculpting is some scary stuff to me and always takes me waaaay longer to get motivated to do than just building stuff. alternatively if you decide against it, it would be pretty easy to add guitar wire throughout the model and make raver girl dreads out of it as well and dangle them out of the gimp head, just an idea

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:33 pm 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

I really like it. It pretty change from the regular Daemon Prince, particularly from Slaanesh.
I'd love to see it completed.

Edgar Jacobi: Heh. Well, you know that kind of cancer that you get better from eventually?
Rorschach: Yes.
Edgar Jacobi: Well, that ain't the kind of cancer I got.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:48 pm 
Silver Vault Member

i believe if you play your gonna field her with lash of submission?

i though it´d be a great idea if you gave her a whip^^

Chaos 7300+
Grey Knights [starting]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:22 pm 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

The question then is, how do I make a crab-clawed-hand hold a whip without looking even more cartoon-y than she already does?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:39 am 
Silver Vault Member

Seamus wrote:
The question then is, how do I make a crab-clawed-hand hold a whip without looking even more cartoon-y than she already does?

how about wrapped around her arm, hanging down from it

Chaos 7300+
Grey Knights [starting]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:33 am 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

So here is what I did with it:

• Added Forgecraft Games "Fire and Brimstone" Round 60mm Resin Base.
  • Moved the Slaaneshi icon from the position over her chest to across her torso and have it now being held by her other arm.
  • Added a paperclip armature to the hand/claw to prep for green-stuffing. (Thanks for the inspiration, Ironclad-Warrior)
  • Lastly, I ordered a Kalee B miniature from Hasslefree Miniatures (Just for her head) because my girlfriend doesn't have the time to sculpt a Daemon Princess head from scratch.

Pictures:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:15 am 
Silver Vault Member

wow this conversion looks awesome already
can´t wait so see it finished ^^
have you decided yet wich head you´ll choose?

Chaos 7300+
Grey Knights [starting]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:40 pm 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Seamus wrote:
  • Lastly, I ordered a Kalee B miniature from Hasslefree Miniatures (Just for her head) because my girlfriend doesn't have the time to sculpt a Daemon Princess head from scratch.

Yeah, in my last post I said I was going use the Kalee B head. I would have liked a scratch built head but my girlfriend (the person in the house with ALL the sculpting talent) nor I have the time to put forth and get that done. Thusly, buying a mini only for it's head.