House Rules (need your input)

Apocalypticon has been discontinued. Click here for all the details
miniwargaming
Site Admin

Re: House Rules (need your input)

Post by miniwargaming » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:50 pm

Aegis wrote:Quick question regarding the house rule regarding cover saves and super heavies. Is that simply covering abilities that grant it, or does that include terrain?
They can still get cover from terrain, just not from special rules.

Argun
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Argun » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:40 pm

Just a simple question: Do we allow outdated codexes? I just ask because my father (jj3) complained a little bit (privately) about someone on an adjacent table who had a codex that seemed to be "overpowered" as he called it. Something about tanks as troops I think... and special ammo for each tank.

jae4x4
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by jae4x4 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:32 pm

Argun wrote:Just a simple question: Do we allow outdated codexes? I just ask because my father (jj3) complained a little bit (privately) about someone on an adjacent table who had a codex that seemed to be "overpowered" as he called it. Something about tanks as troops I think... and special ammo for each tank.
I belive you are talking about me, I was using the "Imperial Armor - Armored Battle Group" Codex. It was from Imperial Armor 1 but was updated by Forge World August 28th of last year. http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/downloads/p ... e28AUG.pdf If you go to Forgeworld.co.uk/downloads you can see all the updated rules for all the Legal rules. My tanks were using the Slick Loader ability which is a 20 point upgrade that if they remain stationary and fire no other weapons they can fire their main ordnance weapon twice in one turn. Sure its a cheep upgrade for what it does, but it makes my tanks very open to assaults as i will be auto-hit. And i cant fire my front or sponson weapons.

AND as for overpowered your father was the guy who was using 25 rail guns in his TAU army but somehow managed to have 1 REAVER and 2 WARHOUND titans. Last time i checked those are forces only the IMPERIUM can use! The irony of "Overpowered" is quite humorous!

Hmmm where did his opponent go? Oh right... Overpowered my bad :mrgreen:

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Post by miniwargaming » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:45 am

Now let's be careful about things like this. I don't want any hard feelings on either side, and I definitely don't want major balance debates here.

To answer the codex question, anything published by GW that has not been superseded by a newer codex can be used. I might make some exceptions to this if anybody points out a major flaw, but that will be on a case by case basis.

This is Apocalypse. Balance is not the goal. Total destruction is.

Randolph
Gold Vault Member

Post by Randolph » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:55 am

Hooorah! I second that opinion!
15k Crimson Fist Fully Painted
5k Celestial Lions Fully Painted
40k Titan Legion
Krome to the rescue

Give a man a fire and he will be warm for the night. Ignite him with a Flamestorm Cannon and he will be warm for the rest of his life

Argun
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Argun » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:15 pm

AND as for overpowered your father was the guy who was using 25 rail guns in his TAU army but somehow managed to have 1 REAVER and 2 WARHOUND titans. Last time i checked those are forces only the IMPERIUM can use! The irony of "Overpowered" is quite humorous!
Right... and how many of those survived the first turn of our shooting phase? :roll:

Fugiman12
MiniWarGaming Beginner
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by Fugiman12 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:03 pm

jae4x4 wrote:so since no cover saves will be allowed on superheavys this means that stomas cant have big meck force fields? and grot riggers wont be able to repair weapons?
Yes no force fields, but if he was using grot riggers that would mean it was an upgrade for the stompa so the grot riggers should work, in the current house rules anyway.

Vache Glace
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Vache Glace » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:07 pm

Fugiman12 wrote: Yes no force fields, but if he was using grot riggers that would mean it was an upgrade for the stompa so the grot riggers should work, in the current house rules anyway.
Just gotta take that allied fateweaver for the extra fromage :wink:

Argun wrote:
Right... and how many of those survived the first turn of our shooting phase? :roll:
I smell a table matchup ... lol jk

Laughterofgods
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Laughterofgods » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:47 pm

Two questions.

You posted that super heavies won't be able to repair. The assumption here is not that you couldn't shut down in the hope of repairing, but that things such as techmarines or Big Mek's would not be able to repair the damage. The custom stompa rules from IA:8 include a Repair Crew option for 75 points that acts as a sort of variable Big Mek depending on what you are trying to repair. A primary weapon repairs on a 5+ and a structure point on a 6. I'm assuming that would be allowed since it is a rule specific to that super heavy, not the application of a normal 40k rule to a super heavy. Is that a reasonable assumption?

Also, you posted about super heavies not getting cover saves from the KFF. While I abused KFF's for extra saves last year I will say that such a decision is entirely reasonable. My question here concerns the Dred Mob out of the basic Apocalypse rulebook. It states that the one walker becomes the big dred and mounts an elaborate custom force field and any walker within 12" of the Big Dred counts as being obscured. This formation does allow you to include a stompa. Would a stompa benefit from this save or no?

Tyranid96
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by Tyranid96 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:09 pm

Once again I'd like to ask if Dreads with 2 TL Autocannons can count as a AA mount like a Hydra flak tank as they are identical weapons
Blood Angels: Angels Sanguine 10,000pts +
Tyranids: Hive Fleet Andromedous- 3.5k+
Orks: 2500 pts
Grey Knights: 1750+
IG: 1500+

Cygnar:224
Legion: 70
Retribution: 75

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Post by miniwargaming » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:14 pm

Laughterofgods wrote:You posted that super heavies won't be able to repair. The assumption here is not that you couldn't shut down in the hope of repairing, but that things such as techmarines or Big Mek's would not be able to repair the damage. The custom stompa rules from IA:8 include a Repair Crew option for 75 points that acts as a sort of variable Big Mek depending on what you are trying to repair. A primary weapon repairs on a 5+ and a structure point on a 6. I'm assuming that would be allowed since it is a rule specific to that super heavy, not the application of a normal 40k rule to a super heavy. Is that a reasonable assumption?
The original post says:

Powers / Abilities that DON'T work on Super-Heavies / Gargantuan creatures (unless they specifically say they do)
Laughterofgods wrote:Also, you posted about super heavies not getting cover saves from the KFF. While I abused KFF's for extra saves last year I will say that such a decision is entirely reasonable. My question here concerns the Dred Mob out of the basic Apocalypse rulebook. It states that the one walker becomes the big dred and mounts an elaborate custom force field and any walker within 12" of the Big Dred counts as being obscured. This formation does allow you to include a stompa. Would a stompa benefit from this save or no?
Yes, as this is an Apocalypse formation, so it makes sense to work with super heavies.

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:21 pm

Tyranid96 wrote:Once again I'd like to ask if Dreads with 2 TL Autocannons can count as a AA mount like a Hydra flak tank as they are identical weapons
There is actually precedent set with this one, with the new contemptor pattern dread's. One of the pattern's actually mentions that it can be used as an AA mount if it was stationary. As it specifically outlines this function, I would say that typical dreads should not have that same ability, as much as I would love to have that option.

Also, having a Psyfldread pump out 4 rerollable S8 AP4 rending shots, and being able to hit flyers that easily, is a tad over-powered. On GK player could effectively destroy anything in the skies in a turn with little difficulty.
Former MWG Leland, now just regular, old Leland. Now with more grump!

To see what I am working on, check out my Facebook page at its new address Aegisbrand Studios or just search for Leland Martel

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Post by miniwargaming » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:48 pm

Tyranid96 wrote:Once again I'd like to ask if Dreads with 2 TL Autocannons can count as a AA mount like a Hydra flak tank as they are identical weapons
Not if it doesn't say they are.

broran
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by broran » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:55 pm

i suspect the awnser to this is no but can a single set to units be multiple formations ( ie can 3 monoliths form both a monolith phalanx and a doomsday phalanx ) if one were willing to pay for both formations(example would cost 350+ models)?
tyranids 1725 points without upgrades
necrons 1937 points un-upgraded
legion of everblight 15pt

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Post by miniwargaming » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:39 pm

Definitely not.

A model can only be part of one formation.