26. The Eris Scrolls: Aftermath of the 100 year war-Rebirth

Post your fan-made fiction here!
Forum rules
By submitting anything on this forum you agree to allow MiniWarGaming to use any or all parts without permission and without compensation.
Roy-Batty
MiniWarGaming Zealot

26. The Eris Scrolls: Aftermath of the 100 year war-Rebirth

Post by Roy-Batty » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:04 pm

Captain Esperon is outraged. Returning skimmers report not only the expected global conflict, but also the complete refusal to recognize the Reclaimers rightful place, even by man. Yes, man has survived all these years since our departure. However, denying our rightful place on earth means denying humanity itself. Do they not realize we hold all that was human? All that led to today? Should these beings still be considered man?
I struggle with this question. Until low, all was clear. The Astral Maiden and myself were created to hold human heritage safe. I spent such a long time organizing my thoughts and expanding my knowledge on this fascinating subject, I never contemplated the possibility of man rejecting his past. Perhaps, as man has done repeatedly in its own history, it is now our duty to force ourselves upon those that do not want to see. After all, our cargo, our message, cannot be lost at the resistance of the individual. Perhaps when all is done, the ones that will learn of my story, will understand.

Seventh Annex, the year 3605 to 3625 AD. Aftermath of the 100 year war. Evolution

It seemed odd to have such a peaceful spring after years of war, destruction and death. Silence slowly replaced the screams of conflict, as 3605 progressed. Nature had already started to assimilate all biological material lost over the years. The near elimination of humanity on earth had been abrupt, and the planet’s ecosystem now had to face the task of reconstructing itself, like it had done so many times before. Decay and the thousands of burning fires over her entire surface helped the epicenter of human creation to cleanse itself of man’s dark and seemingly final chapter. Only the humming of atmospheric enhancers could be heard anywhere. The artificial global grid had been constructed with great craftsmanship, as Haussman enhanced systems kept the machines running long after the absence of human activity made atmospheric quality control obsolete.
Not only man had paid the price of this genocide. Flora and fauna had already been severely disturbed not long after the first Inter System Colonists had returned to earth and alien species started to mix with the original terrestrial wildlife. Soon, aggressive species gained terrain rapidly on beasts not prepared to defend itself against alien livestock. Other species found a way to mix with earth game in order to survive, creating a whole new series of subspecies and organisms. Now, with the decline of destruction, the animal kingdom was first in retaking the land.

Man had little options left. Those lucky enough to survive now had to face the challenges of remaining alive in a new world. It seemed the X’Lanthos had been defeated, although there was no way to be certain. Although one enemy had vanished, many others had come in its place. The alien virus was merely one of many dangers remaining. Things like food and shelter became the priority of the day, as tomorrow was no longer a guarantee. Those with enough knowledge on how to survive, or lucky enough to join forces with someone who did, lived in this new ad hoc world. All others perished, especially in the western world.
This need to survive took on a different form over a relatively short time. Within a year small settlements started to appear everywhere. Spaced apart and often not aware of each other’s existence, these micro communities provided small groups of people with basic provisions and healthcare. Surely, these small havens in a desolate world drew the attention of the needy, the greedy, and the hungry.

In a world where any form of organization is lost, myth and tales easily become a replacement for the truth. In some areas in the former Unified States, near the border of what the Canadian Federation used to be, there were many stories about the survival or reconstruction of one of the Great Corporations. Others spoke of places where nature could not regain its place, and metal giants roamed the land.
In a mere matter of years, man had fallen from mastering the galaxies to fear of fire cast shadows and sounds in the night. Science, teaching and learning made place for superstition, rumors and stories. The shock of falling from the peak to the valley had been too big. Life as before simply no longer existed.
Industrialized Pest Control in billion inhabitant cities filling houses equipped with Haussman controlled Insect Guards and sewer patrolling rat hunters had now made way for things like: What tree or building will get me through the night safely without having to worry about being eaten or trampled? Everyone was ready to believe there was some form of salvation out there, and no one doubted there were even bigger threats than the ones people faced on a day to day bases.

On the other end of the spectrum, the X’Lanthos were defeated yet never exterminated. The decisive retreat had been complete when the system they relied on crumbled. The technology to go back to the rest of the fleet had disappeared, and the servants that had fought their battles had either died or disappeared.
In fact, the X’Lanthos had become as scattered as mankind had. Most survivors found the technology they knew in crashed ships or equipment brought down in the war, creating small outposts and shelters. But survival wasn’t the only thing on the X’Lanthos list. The mission at hand had not changed, even when the tools to accomplish the task had failed. The roots of mankind were still within reach and none could think of escape until the human nuisance had been abolished.
First of all, the aliens needed to regroup. Numbers had never been their strength, but there was no other choice now that technology had been reduced. Maintaining and regaining the lost tech was of relevance to assure the efficient and complete end of man. Regaining the lost slaves or replacing them with new specimen fulfilled both a practical and a vindictive need.
Did you ever hear of the Eris Scrolls?

You can get to know them here:

http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 16&t=63414

And that's just the beginning.

Don't forget to bring your opinion!

Phatty
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Re: 26. The Eris Scrolls: Aftermath of the 100 year war-Rebirth

Post by Phatty » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:17 pm

quick question: if the arks left before the events described here, how do they (he/it) know about all of this after just returning to earth?

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Post by miniwargaming » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:02 pm

Man I really want to get working on Dark Potential again soon.

These stories are quite inspiring...

Roy-Batty
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Roy-Batty » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:36 pm

@ Phatty: Good question!

Well, the Arcs were built as information guardians. Problem with information however, is that it get's outdated, and with enough time, obsolete. Therefore, all Arcs were fitted with a large array of probes, antennas, sensors and receivers, not only to stay in touch with events on earth, but everything within technologies reach at the time the vessels were constructed.
Also, the shape of the Arc was designed to be a Galactic Resonator. Basically the entire ship hull forms an enormous antenna, directly connected to Eris. This device collects energy shifts throughout the universe. This works as follows:

Each action or event can be marked as an interchange of energy. This can be as minute as the heartbeat of an organism, or enormous like a star exploding, and anything in between. All of these interchanges of energy send out waves into the galaxy, where they travel forever, only passing each space once.

Galactic resonators pick up these waves and "decode" them. As you can imagine, this is an great amount of information from countless sources. That is why a Haussman enhanced organic computer, Eris in the case of the Astral Maiden, is needed to handle, decode and organize the information. Eris also decides which information is than stored into the archives, and what information is discarded. The "usefull" information is only a minute part, and this separation is done very quickly, as the full information impact can overflow storage capacity in seconds.

How did that sound? Truth is I didn't think about it, but this could be a good solution.

@Matt: That would be awesome! You would have one follower for sure. Glad you are still following the tale of Eris.

slaughtergames
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by slaughtergames » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:12 am

nicely done! - though one thing cought on to me: you mentioned something along the lines of "and life was hardest for people in the western world" which sounds ok.
but i think asia (china, india, japan) is going to out -grow/-innovate the west, as it is a trend that can already be seen today.

but then, I realize i'm 20 episodes to late, but oh well... :)
"i buy me new deffkopta!!"
"waaaagh!"
"i did research, to find out how to minimize the randomness of the shock-attack gun."
"huh?"
"waaaagh!"
"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGH!!"

Roy-Batty
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Roy-Batty » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:40 pm

@ slaughterames: I agree with the general idea of asian countries outgrowing the west. In fact I find it interesting to think about what could happen in about 200 - 300 years. But there also lies the unknown, and the most interesting part of science fiction.

China is growing fast, but this also means that growth in pretty unstable. There is still a dictatorship reigning the people, and fast economic and social growth and a dictatorship are a pretty explosive mix. Civil War or economic collapse are not unthinkable and devastating for the region's development.
India has a pretty unstable relationship with it's neighboring countries. Now it's not that threatening, but war, or even nuclear war are not unthinkable over 200 years time.
Japan has another threat. Geography. What if a great quake sinks half the land or causes even greater disasters than the recent ones?

Point i am trying to make is that you could pick any of these reasons to twist the fate of man in a sci-fi story, or even invent your own reasons. Having said that I didn't really think about how I would see the rest of the world develop yet. In the story I was referring to our (western) dependence on a social structure, opposed to for example african tribes, who will practically feel no impact after a global brakdown of civilization.

slaughtergames
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by slaughtergames » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:46 pm

i completely agree. but i always like to think about things like this; what would africa look like now, if the romans didn't destroy carthage? i know you're focusing on the west, and it's much too late to change that. (not that i'd want you to)

in fact, what you said about japan is interesting. one could imagine, that a low sealevel would connect japan to the main land... but then, britain would then also be connected in that way... sorry for derailing here :D
ohwell....

can't wait for the next ep. of eris!
"i buy me new deffkopta!!"
"waaaagh!"
"i did research, to find out how to minimize the randomness of the shock-attack gun."
"huh?"
"waaaagh!"
"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGH!!"