It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:50 am 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

I posted these elsewhere in more detail, but I figure this is going to be one big on-going project... so here we go:

My painting services:https://www.facebook.com/toddabbottpainting

Last edited by Todda on Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:57 am 

12 Warriors and 3 Scarab Swarms done now... not bad for 3 days:

I chose to paint the green rods so they match the rest of the army. I think it looks much better.

And yes this little army of mine as shown is exactly 666 points... :P

I get pretty good discounts at my local store, so this army with 2 Ghost Arks, an Annihilation Barge with Overlord, 4 boxes with 12 Warriors and 3 Scarab Swarms each, and a codex for $175... and this makes up to around a 1400 point army. I have to wait until likely Wednesday for the rest of my Warriors to come in as they only had 1 box left this morning.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:41 pm 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

the vehicles look pretty good, the infantry is a bit unimaginitive though..

If you're worrying about phase out, then buy the new codex!

Warrior Spam? it may be acceptable come Nov 5th. A second chance to not be terrible!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:37 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Awarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!
you put your scarabs backwards the green "eye" is the front

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:06 pm 

I just threw them in there... Yes I found out later I had them facing the wrong direction.

Well I decided to be creative and make a Canoptek Spyder. I have to wait for the tacky glue to set then I am going to prime it with a latex primer. After that I am going to see if the liquid green stuff can smooth out the roughness and add some detail... then prime and paint. I really want a few of these in my army as they spawn Scarab Swarms. They can also repair vehicles.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:38 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Very nice Kanoptec Spider. But you need something to even out the surface.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:00 am 

Yes I now it is a bit sloppy, but since they do not have a model yet and I really want to field them, this is my Spyder...

I need to make 2 more though. Looking at their stats they are pretty nasty. They are Monstrous Creatures, so they have S6 and 2D6 for Penetration. For some reason they did not give it Entropic Strike, but it creates Scarabs. They can take a Fabricator Claws to repair vehicles and twin linked Particles Beamers, which are Heavy, but that is fine because Monstrous Creatures are Relentless. With a T6 3W and 3+ save they are pretty tough. Sadly they lack a Reanimation Protocols.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:05 pm 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

they're slightly better than before (extra wound, WS and BS up from 2 to 3, more attack options and able to repair), but still not really worth a HS slot imo.

If you're worrying about phase out, then buy the new codex!

Warrior Spam? it may be acceptable come Nov 5th. A second chance to not be terrible!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:52 am 

Did up two more Spyders...

After the glue dries it is a coat of latex and a coat of black spray primer. I did things a little different. I hit the model with a heat gun to melt the rough surface a bit to smooth because I do not want to waste a bunch of liquid Green Stuff trying to smooth it. I also used a file to sand in the lines and changed the circle line to another bump I will paint bright green. With the two coats of paint it should look OK... Not the best, but OK.

Here is an idea I have for some Scarabs as I will only have 12 and with Spyders I figured I need at least 3 more as I create extra. I have enough bits to make 4 of these. This is actually a Warriors of Chaos banner, but it looks cool as a Scarab too, but it is too big to fit more than three on a base...

What do you think?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:01 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Awarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!
they need some forward facing claws/eyes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:06 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

I lol'd so hard when i saw those spyders, but in a good way those things are beast!
your vehicles look great very nicely done!

my only complaint is the warriors are a little plain, they need some green in other places to spruce them up a little :P

"Commodore you are a hero to the world" ~ IGfanatic
"You are now extremely awesome" ~ Tmb
"You, sir, indeed are awesome" ~ teclis

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:25 pm 

It is a big skull with eyes... why would I need more. It also has a big mouth, but since I get the impression these thing fly more than crawl, that the forward claws could be used for attacks.

The problem is to max out the number of Scarabs and still not count the ones needed for the Spyders to create, you are going to max out the number of Warriors too at 120. I do not think I would ever use more than 60 Warriors, but I will likely use 30 Scarabs or more. I might have to do the "M" thing...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:01 pm 

OK... you know how I said I was smoothing them a bit with a heat gun so I could skip using the liquide Green Stuff. Well it turns out the latex paint I have does not protect the Styrofoam like my old stuff did and without the Green Stuff to protect it... they melted... really bad. So I tried fixing one with plaster and it actually worked pretty good, so I'm fixing the other one right now.

My 3 boxes of Warriors are coming in tomorrow and I am thinking of picking up a few extra things... Maybe a box of Lychguard to use as Lords in units... or maybe a second Command Barge... or an extra box of Warriors. The Lychguard are looking like the best option. Besides I can see how the models compare with the Warriors for those that might want to use Warriors to get more use out of the more expensive boxes. I will just have to mod a Resurrection Orb into one hand and give them a cape maybe. I love kits with lots of extra bits. I will likely hold off on any others until Christmas. After all this is 2 full armies in one year (Warriors of Chaos and Necron).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:06 pm 

...and number three..

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:48 am 

Well I am picking up my models today at 2, and I lost most of Sunday for painting time, so I am going to be busy assembling and painting 36 Warriors and 9 Scarabs. I am still waiting on my Ghost Ark too. I am also looking at picking up a box of Lychguard to convert them into Lords. Their Rod of Covenant is close to the Rod of Light and they have an open hand too, so I can add a Resurrection Orb to them without any problems. They also have War Scythes if I want to upgrade their weapons. I will likely use the Lychguard bodies, heads, and loin cloth though. I have some cloaks kicking around that I can add. They should work fine. Besides $33 for 5 Lords with 2 weapon options and extra arms for Orbs is better than $15-18 each and have the wrong equipment and uglier models anyways.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next