It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Our plans for next year
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:14 pm 
Site Admin

First off, thank you to everybody who attended our Apocalypse game this year - I think it was a huge success.

I have received a lot of feedback, a lot of which we will most likely use. I realize not everything was balanced, but that's going to happen, even if we match up points values on both sides (did anybody see Kris' 2500 point Titan take out two other 2500 point Titans?).

It's way too early to tell you what we have planned for next year, but here are some things that are most likely to happen:

1. No upper points limit. There will still be a 45 minute time limit on each turn, so if you bring too much you won't be able to use it all in time.

2. Lower points requirement. Probably around 2000 - 2500.

3. Some banned formations. I'll get to these later.

Feel free to suggest whatever you like. It would be most useful to start a new thread for a new suggestion, so that others can agree/disagree with you there.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:23 am 
Bronze Vault Member

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges
Matt, in Apocalypse book there is a section on what armies can work together and whatnot so can i have my nids work with my necrons and eldar? I can say that the eldar found a way to trick the hive mind of my hive fleet becasue it is a small hive fleet and the necrons will be fighting with them for the greater evil somewhate like that rouge necron in Slaughters Rejects?

Grey Knights: 1750+
IG: 1500+

Cygnar:224
Legion: 70
Retribution: 75

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:54 am 
Site Admin

There isn't a ruling on that yet, so you'll have to wait for when we come out with the rules for next year's game.

I would say, however, that most likely there will not be codex mixing.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:45 pm 
MiniWarGaming Regular

I think the part that i really hated was the limited time. I know we have to keep things moving, and even at 8,000 points i was running out of time, at more points I would have no chance of getting things done. I think maybe an hour to an hour and a half, then we start earlier on friday and end later saturday.
I understand if this cant work, but its just an idea.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:04 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

irishorks wrote:
I think the part that i really hated was the limited time. I know we have to keep things moving, and even at 8,000 points i was running out of time, at more points I would have no chance of getting things done. I think maybe an hour to an hour and a half, then we start earlier on friday and end later saturday.
I understand if this cant work, but its just an idea.

well cut the bomber and pulsa rocket from your list and you will have enough time, there were times when you were gone from your table for 15/20 minutes at a time... :P

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:59 am 
Site Admin

We're definitely keeping the turn limits to 45 minutes. This forces the players to pick their priorities.

Think of it this way - 25 minutes into each turn there were only 3 or 4 tables still doing stuff (yours was one of them), so all of those people could have brought more and still stayed within the time limit.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:54 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

can we bring a lackey or team mate to help up make our saves, move our forces and all that if we get a big enough hall? Cause i big problem i was having was in my shooting phase, i would want to shoot at my opponent but he was already making saves from another player shooting at him! Not that that is any ones fault, i just think its an easy fix.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:45 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

I like the idea of having a grot rigger helping, but there may be too many people standing around the table.

I think the players to your right or left should be the ones to help or pick one person to your left or right to make those rolls. I think the buddy system would be more manageable, as they will be the ones who know what's happening (game wise) and can make those decisions.

for example: I rolled for Joe's models when he was too busy...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:34 pm 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Location: I sleep on the MWG floor, curled up with my mini's.
Ribbons Earned: Participated in the Inaugural Painting PledgeHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.
KBelleau wrote:
I like the idea of having a grot rigger helping, but there may be too many people standing around the table.

I think the players to your right or left should be the ones to help or pick one person to your left or right to make those rolls. I think the buddy system would be more manageable, as they will be the ones who know what's happening (game wise) and can make those decisions.

for example: I rolled for Joe's models when he was too busy...

And you probably did a better job of it than I did ;)

I like the idea of a buddy system... which was fairly easy to do on tables like ours where there were groups of similar armies... we had 3 Eldar players so we were all familiar with the models... across from us were IG players who knew each others general armies.

I think we need more Towel/Water girls!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

And that is why Kharn was cut from the original cast of Puttin' on the Ritz.

Eldar - 8000-ish
Space Marine - 1500+

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:38 pm 
Gold Vault Member

Joe wrote:

I think we need more Towel/Water girls!

Or...air conditioning!! My antiperspirant was working harder than my Warlord Titan!

Krome to the rescue

Give a man a fire and he will be warm for the night. Ignite him with a Flamestorm Cannon and he will be warm for the rest of his life

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:40 pm 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
The buddy approach to rolling and moving worked well for me... with Nids to the left and right of me we did at times roll for each other's stuff... and they knew how it moved etc. to make informed decisions on what to do.

miniwargaming wrote:
We're definitely keeping the turn limits to 45 minutes. This forces the players to pick their priorities.

Think of it this way - 25 minutes into each turn there were only 3 or 4 tables still doing stuff (yours was one of them), so all of those people could have brought more and still stayed within the time limit.

To keep pacing and playability goals I think limiting time is the way to go.

The only "potential" issue I see with that approach is that its going to select for superheavies / high points models as they're much easier to deal with and move in a short time span, but then, that's what makes apoc such a spectacle IMHO.

My Plan for next year is to fully build and paint every Nid Gargantuan creature I've got!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:42 pm 
Gold Vault Member

This may be a pipe dream, but what if you were to considering using some scenarios from various IA books? Not full campaigns obviously, and only if the match ups provide, but it would create some interesting objective style matches amidst the greater battle.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:36 am 

To be honest, watching the footage, I felt it was more like a bunch of 8000 point games, with a few shots going onto other boards, I am planning on working up the money to come from Britain for the next one, and if i'm doing this i'd want it to feel like it's actually one huge army against another, I just feels like seperate games, with a team score at the end.. Not the 250,000 point game I was hoping for..

Tau Empire: W-7 L-5 D-0
Necron: W-1 L-3 D-0
Blood Angels: Coming soon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:48 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Straydog191 wrote:
To be honest, watching the footage, I felt it was more like a bunch of 8000 point games, with a few shots going onto other boards, I am planning on working up the money to come from Britain for the next one, and if i'm doing this i'd want it to feel like it's actually one huge army against another, I just feels like seperate games, with a team score at the end.. Not the 250,000 point game I was hoping for..

Well then - you should make yourself at least aomewhere around 16k point army ... so you could play on 2 tables :lol:

I'm just kidding ... but you do realize that this is how a "real life" battle looks like - you can't go help you're allies until you're done with the enemy in you're face ... or you might get outflanked .

Nothing will ever be the same ...

My gaming blog. (it's a little bit "dead" right now, but i should get it back to work soon ... i hope so)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:50 am 

A real battle isn't in an S shape, thats my main problem, it doesn't look like one board, it looks a standard gaming club night (albeit a large one)

Tau Empire: W-7 L-5 D-0
Necron: W-1 L-3 D-0
Blood Angels: Coming soon

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next