Crazy ideal: what about plastic cut for models?

Discuss MiniWarGaming's Post Apocalyptic Wargame here. NOTE: This game is a work in progress.
Forum rules
Please understand that by posting anything in this area of the forum that you are acknowledging that MiniWarGaming has permission to use your ideas without compensation.
Wiouds
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Crazy ideal: what about plastic cut for models?

Post by Wiouds » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:55 pm

I was thinking why can there not be some models printed on thin sheets of plastic and perpetrated so the plastic can be push out and then place together to make the model.

There can still be 3D model but lets face it they can get costly. Why not have a cheaper way in and to try new faction?

tallman
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Re: Crazy ideal: what about plastic cut for models?

Post by tallman » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:21 pm

I can see the advantage this would bring- a low entry cost. In fact, I believe that a much lower entry cost could be a KEY asset Matt could explore in differentiating DP for other wargames in terms of marketing. HOWEVER, I firmly believe that in no way should the quality and detail of the figures be compromised -people play certain armies just because they want to paint those certain models because they look awesome. I actually think that DP has the potential of having THE BEST figures in the business, due to its solid foundation in science and culture blended with really good design and possibly digital sculpture techniques (allowing for tons of posing and life in the figures). Just my 2 cents on the idea.

saltinerunner45
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by saltinerunner45 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:40 pm

i can definitively see where your coming from tallman, but i think wiouds has a good idea on how to START.
in one of matts videos (i think it was a walk'n'talk) he explained some of the process of creating models and how much it would cost. it was blasphemous how much it cost just to start! if however, he were to go the rout wiouds suggested, i think it would be a much more cost efficient method.
this game is rapidly growing, i mean i remember looking over the first few posts, and seeing only like 10 names. now, i see a new name every other post. if matt could get the models out, im sure the game would pick up all over the place.
i dont think matt would stay with this method, but just for say a year, i think it would be a good way to market the game
saltine runner thanks you for reading this post, and is sorry for his ramblings.
"In the grim darkness of the future, there is only static grass." -Smurfyk
2000pts Tyranid

Wiouds

Post by Wiouds » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:58 pm

Why can't you have both?

There are always going to be new comers and those that want a cheep way to field a different force.

A player can still get the 3D models of the faction he/she like the most and get the 2D of the one he/she that he/she wants to try out.

saltinerunner45
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by saltinerunner45 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:56 pm

well i think i was unfair above
i was automatically comparing the game to 40k cause its the only wargame ive played so far, so i was thinking LOS with 2D models would be kinda.... funky
but i do agree that 2D would be a great starting point no matter what
saltine runner thanks you for reading this post, and is sorry for his ramblings.
2000pts Tyranid

Wiouds

Post by Wiouds » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:26 pm

Also their could be models that may be useful but no one really care if it is 3D. Some NPC that you need to protect and so on.

novakidx
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by novakidx » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:10 pm

Wiouds wrote:Also their could be models that may be useful but no one really care if it is 3D. Some NPC that you need to protect and so on.
that'd be pretty neat! that'd be a great use for cutouts
markers and flags and such too

saltinerunner45
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by saltinerunner45 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:34 am

novakidx wrote: that'd be pretty neat! that'd be a great use for cutouts
nice addition nova, i think a 2D flag would work quite well, expecally for beginners. you could paint it however you wanted too.
maybe if there is "pinning" there could be 2 jagged peices that cross like an "x", but end up looking like debris flying everywhere?
maybe for indicating "rapid fire" or "preparing/readying" you could have a light-machine-gun?
2000pts Tyranid

novakidx
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by novakidx » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:13 am

saltinerunner45 wrote:
novakidx wrote: that'd be pretty neat! that'd be a great use for cutouts
nice addition nova, i think a 2D flag would work quite well, expecally for beginners. you could paint it however you wanted too.
maybe if there is "pinning" there could be 2 jagged peices that cross like an "x", but end up looking like debris flying everywhere?
maybe for indicating "rapid fire" or "preparing/readying" you could have a light-machine-gun?
matt wants to avoid markers..i just hate how some games have objective senarios
but they don't give you anything cool to mark them with
so i'd like some cool looking flags

Bigmektankgutz
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Bigmektankgutz » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:04 pm

To be honest, I think that despite the high entry cost, full 3D models are massively superior to 2D, it really adds realism to the game, however maybe matt could makesure to have a few, easy to scratch build models that the budding player could make themselves.

Wiouds

Post by Wiouds » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:27 pm

The 3D models have their weakness too.

Also, have you seen Star Wars pocket model game? There are some details one.