so I'm going to start heavy gear blitz.

News and discussions on Heavy Gear Blitz, Arena, the HG RPG, and Gear Krieg.
crysbat
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

so I'm going to start heavy gear blitz.

Post by crysbat » Sat May 21, 2011 1:53 pm

so, with GW's prices beginning to get just a smidge too out of tad and with my obsession with mecha ever growing, I've convinced some people at my local club to start heavy gear blitz, namely myself, sniperfex, the store owner and his son.

That aside, I have intent on starting peace river because I like the look of them SO MUCH, but I have a few questions:

1) I have very little knowledge of the heavy gear blitz story line, to my knowledge all heavy gear games take place in the same universe (like 40k does with inquisitor and such) but I was wondering if anyone minded giving me a basic run down of the story.

2) I've seen the odd battle report, mostly by one fellow, as well as that I've seen a couple of run downs of the rules, but could anyone tell me if there are any online resources for this game, I've heard that DP9 do an online version of the starter rulebook, but I can't find that, so if they do, could you link it?

3) is it a good idea to play a peace river gear orientated force? to my knowledge the gears are the large human shaped robots, which I want an entire army of, so is it a good idea to run a peace river force of them, more importantly, I believe it is, but is it POSSIBLE to run an entire army of them?

4) how cost effective is heavy gear blitz? i've seen a game where one person fielded nothing more than 5 gears, although he got decimated, that aside, I'm highly doubtful that they're more costly than gw, but I'm still interested in how costly they are.

so, those are my questions, if you could answer them I'd appreciate it.
"I AM crysbat NUMBER ONE FAN!" - azeebo
"crysbat will only break break break your heart." - the A man
"Crysbat, you are win" - MasenkoEX
"IG is like 10" - Jason, my mate.

my wip

khani
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Re: so I'm going to start heavy gear blitz.

Post by khani » Sun May 22, 2011 6:18 am

1) heavy gear is n terra nova, a small planet filled with different climates much like earth, the middle is a wasteland. south and north fought for a long time but then the earth came along (expeditionary force) and tried to take over terra nova again and turn the populence into slaves i think. south and north cobined and tried to drive them back but they could ot. peace river was formed, an army trying to keep peace across terra nova, they orced back earth and won the battle!
2)they do have a rulebook, quickstart
http://www.dp9.com/index.php?option=com ... &Itemid=62
3)it is fully possible, i have also been obsessed with giant robots like gundam, super robot taizan and sometimes even neon genesis evan gelion althought that was much more emo kids trying to save the world but in the end they were to emo. i love gears but troops are cost effecient and good support but very boring, heavy gear lists are possible, a bit on the weak side because of no infantry or tanks but still could whip many armies if anti-tank and anti-infantry is included at all
4)very, i spent $400 on gw and have only got 1000 pts of choas, i spent 100 here and have 2 fully playable armies (albiet small).

hope that helps any more questions feel free to ask
... :mrgreen:
Khani is more OT family then Shas! There I said it! -IGfanatic

Khani I have to admit, you're awesome -wulfrun

In the grim darkness of the near future there is only.... Khani? -the airman

DavicusPrime
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by DavicusPrime » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:15 pm

I've been looking at HGB too... But the initial cost is a little high ($110US for a single starter army) for a game I've never tried nor do I know of any other players around my area. The new 2 play starter that gives you the rules + Field Manual plus three gears per side in the $65US range looks like something I may be able to give a shot.

Over all, the miniatures are more expensive per model than GW's but based on the few demo games I've seen on line, the total number of models required to play isn't nearly as high. Still, I'd prefer a game that didn't require me to spend a couple hundred just to get started.

The things that make HGB look good to me is that I always have liked Scifi over fantasy or steam punk. I really like the idea of a combined force of gears, infantry and armor. And I like that the game is designed around a much smaller scale than 40K.

-DavicusPrime
favoredctan: "you wound me, sir."
demarcosg: "Roll armour save."
My PhotoBucket Page

crysbat
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by crysbat » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:49 pm

DavicusPrime wrote:I've been looking at HGB too... But the initial cost is a little high ($110US for a single starter army) for a game I've never tried nor do I know of any other players around my area. The new 2 play starter that gives you the rules + Field Manual plus three gears per side in the $65US range looks like something I may be able to give a shot.

Over all, the miniatures are more expensive per model than GW's but based on the few demo games I've seen on line, the total number of models required to play isn't nearly as high. Still, I'd prefer a game that didn't require me to spend a couple hundred just to get started.

The things that make HGB look good to me is that I always have liked Scifi over fantasy or steam punk. I really like the idea of a combined force of gears, infantry and armor. And I like that the game is designed around a much smaller scale than 40K.

-DavicusPrime
I found out that it is actually a tad more expensive per model (possibly because they're mostly metal, possibly not) but I've also found that after buying that initial army you probably won't need to buy much else, I mean, I bought the peace river starter set after this thread and I haven't needed to buy anything since, granted I'm going to expand, just slowly, anyway, I think it's a nice game, the rules are easy once you get used to them, although the scale I'm on the opposite of you with, it slightly put me off, although I still got used to it.

Because they're giant robots...
"I AM crysbat NUMBER ONE FAN!" - azeebo
"crysbat will only break break break your heart." - the A man
"Crysbat, you are win" - MasenkoEX
"IG is like 10" - Jason, my mate.

my wip

DavicusPrime
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by DavicusPrime » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:19 am

For some reason, making everything smaller pleases me. I was very interested in Flames of War for the same reason, but I prefer scifi to historical.

I'm seriously looking into the new two player starter thats recently released. If I decide I like it, I'll have the rules and just need a jager and hunter blister to bring them up to full strength GP squads.

-DavicusPrime
favoredctan: "you wound me, sir."
demarcosg: "Roll armour save."
My PhotoBucket Page