The Challenge - We're Losing Weight!

From May 24th to August 24th, Matthew, Dave, and Mike are going to lose 30 pounds each. Join in on the "fun" here and get healthy!
miniwargaming
Site Admin

The Challenge - We're Losing Weight!

Postby miniwargaming » Tue May 24, 2011 8:21 pm

First off, watch this video:
http://www.miniwargaming.com/content/wa ... -challenge

Second, if you want to join in, make a new topic stating your goals, methods, and a before picture (if you dare).

You can also post a video response here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsoOzlC84UM

Happy weightlossing!

m14
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Awarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Re: The Challenge - We're Losing Weight!

Postby m14 » Tue May 24, 2011 8:41 pm

Suggestion: Let's keep this forum year round as a way for people to stay motivated, especially during the long winter months. Push-ups and sit-ups can go a long way to keeping you healthy when combined with diet.

Ryan
Gold Vault Member

Postby Ryan » Tue May 24, 2011 8:50 pm

Great Idea! i'm up for it :mrgreen: Might include raising my marks in school too....
-Ryan Guzowski
9000 points points of Imperial Smurf Marines!!!!
Yay a full company!
4000pts of Empire

IGfanatic
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Mods, please no more ribbons for me. They break!

Postby IGfanatic » Tue May 24, 2011 11:53 pm

Can I gain weight instead? Seriously I need it.
Iggy's are proud and noble creatures.

crxc
First post! Good job, now post more...

Postby crxc » Wed May 25, 2011 1:24 am

Matt is the ultimate MWGamer! >:0
Superior! ...to "dave", who's okay i guess :/
Mike is pretty awesome too :)
In fact Mike is the best
Second to Matt
Who is the great
though Mike is going to win
Mike is champ.

Just typed a decent length article
pressed submit
was sent to login page
panicked
pressed return
sent to page expired page
panicked

its gone now
oh well
nuts

A Luna
Gold Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Postby A Luna » Wed May 25, 2011 3:20 am

Har har! It's awesome to weigh 72/73 kilo and you can eat everything without gaining weight :mrgreen:
Smile!
Tomorrow's going to be worse

Me: "was eating cake whilst drinking. was good"
Jackmrnorris: "This man is close to nirvana. It is known."

CMON Gallery
Youtube

khani
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Postby khani » Wed May 25, 2011 3:22 am

good luck, i am fine for a 13 year old, 43kg, feels ood.
... :mrgreen:
Khani is more OT family then Shas! There I said it! -IGfanatic

Khani I have to admit, you're awesome -wulfrun

In the grim darkness of the near future there is only.... Khani? -the airman

Apa1994
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryGroup Build Badge #1Group Build Badge #3Participated in the Inaugural Painting PledgeHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Postby Apa1994 » Wed May 25, 2011 1:04 pm

Personally, I think that MWG should have issued some kind of warning. Losing weight too fast isn't all good, especially for young people (who the warning really should be for)

If you want a really good tip though here it is: My dad´s a doctor, not a dietist of some sort, but he meets people and see some of them changing their way of life from time to time.
Those who have lost weight for real are those who have quited crap-food, candy, soda etc. Combined with a decent (if you have some weight you are most likely to relativly untrained) amount of training you should be good to go.

Bishop_BR
Now we're getting somewhere...

Postby Bishop_BR » Wed May 25, 2011 1:29 pm

actually I must go to the other way, I have to gain something around 20-25 pounds, but good luck to all involved!

pels
Gold Vault Member

Postby pels » Wed May 25, 2011 2:16 pm

Greetings fellow Wargammers from Scandinavia, Denmark.

I like your initiativ and are very much game.

I myself are weighing in at around 100kg=220lbs (I think) and almost 2,0 meter.
(How tall are you Matt?)

Visit my topic to see how I'm planing to loose 15-20kg in 3 months.

See you all and best of luck to every one who join.
best regards and thanks for replying
Pels

Orkz : +10.000 points
Eldar: around 5.000points

krahen
MiniWarGaming Regular

Postby krahen » Thu May 26, 2011 7:35 am

Ive already made myself a challenge, ive lost 15 pound in 1 month.

The only trick i can say is less soda beverage and more water. Also playing in a league of baseball and Volleyball dosent hurt.

Crusty
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Postby Crusty » Thu May 26, 2011 3:25 pm

I myself need to gain weight, but still the above comment holds true workout preferably a sport that is fun, for me it football and dead weight lifting at the time. Of course more water and sodium.

My goal is to gain ten pounds how though I do not know really. Other than eat more protein.

At 6ft 2 inches and weight of 145 pounds I believe its possible.

Imperiumslave

Postby Imperiumslave » Thu May 26, 2011 4:34 pm

Hey guys.

First off congrats on taking up the challenge to get in shape. For us older dogs (I'm 32) it gets harder and harder to stay at your goal weight. Every year we get more lazy and tend to eat the same as we did when we were 18-20.

I just want to give you guys one tip that will really kick start your weight loss. Remove 90-100% of the processed sugars from your diet(Sodas, Candy, Pure Cane Sugar, 'Sweetened' foods & drinks) and replace them with natural sugars (Fruits and nuts). That way you are still satisfying your sweet tooth and at the same time getting more balance in your diet. Also DON'T eat these fruits past lunch time! NO SUGER FOR DINNER!! That is the worst time for it, because then you go to sleep and don't use ANY of the energy it produces, thus turning it to stored energy (fat).

Good luck and remember, take it one meal at a time and the weight will come off!

bighara
MiniWarGaming Regular

Postby bighara » Fri May 27, 2011 10:11 am

Remember, it's not just pounds (or kilos) that you should be counting. Check you BMI (Body Mass Index) and see how much of that is actually fat. BMI is not the same as % body fat, but is a good number to work with. If you strength train (weights, push-ups) while trying to lose fat (changing diet and doing cardio), your weight may not actually drop so much as change percentages (fat v. muscle). For example, a month ago my body fat was 23%. I weighed 200 pounds and I am just under 6' tall. Tomorrow I measure my body fat again (skin calipers) to see what fat I've lost, but my weight training program means I've probably gained some lean muscle as I was losing fat, so the scale won't tell the whole story.

A BMI of 18-24 for a non-athletic adult is relatively healthy. People who work out intensely (athletes, bodybuilders, etc.) might have a much lower BMI. For example, washboard abs require a body fat percentage of 7% or less. So if you want a "six-pack", it's cardio/fat loss that gets you there, not sit-ups. Do sit-ups anyway, though. They're good for you! :)

spartanfit

Postby spartanfit » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:08 pm

Great work Matt, Dave, and Mike!

It's to bad that I am 3 months late as I could have helped you 3 a great deal as I am a certified personal trainer and I could have answered any questions you had/have.

@bighara. BMI is the worst thing in the world to check when you are trying to lose weight. The only reason why people use it is because it is what doctors tell us is the way to see if you're at a healthy weight or not, but it is completely crap.

example: 2 people each weigh 200 lbs and are both 6'0". Difference is one is very athletic and in great shape with low fat percentage, and the other is not athletic and isn't active and has a very high fat percentage. Now if you go by BMI they are both at BMI 27 (overweight). Moral is NEVER, NEVER, NEVER go by your BMI!

Matt, Dave, and Mike; if you are thinking about starting the challenge again PM me and I can help you guys a great deal!

Peace 8)
FOR THE EMPIRE!!!
Empire = 1650 pts
Orcs & Gobbos = 1400 pts
High Elves = 1000 pts

Return to “MWG Wargaming Weight Loss Challenge”