It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 360 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Fantasy Q & A
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:46 pm 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Ok so i've been browsing forum topics and have noticed that, unlike the 40k threads, there isn't a dedicated topic about the fantasy system or army rules etc

So, if you have a question about the rulebook, or army specific rules, post them here, and hopefully me, or anybody else viewing this topic will be able to answer them

My WIP http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=70250

Post subject: Re: Fantasy Q & A
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:12 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

I'll get the ball rolling ;)

What's the best way to use Cavalry in 8th edition? What role differences do a Fast Cav unit have compared to an Elite Cavalry in game?

So far I've been thinking Fast Cav are meant to swing around the enemy lines and be an annoyance. There the Paper to an enemies rock. In contrast to Barded high point Cavalry being the equivalent Death Star unit in Fantasy. Am I far off?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:26 pm 

Bryden wrote:
I'll get the ball rolling ;)

What's the best way to use Cavalry in 8th edition? What role differences do a Fast Cav unit have compared to an Elite Cavalry in game?

So far I've been thinking Fast Cav are meant to swing around the enemy lines and be an annoyance. There the Paper to an enemies rock. In contrast to Barded high point Cavalry being the equivalent Death Star unit in Fantasy. Am I far off?

Thanks!

Fast cavalry have a free reform which they can do as many times as they want (normal rules still apply), they can also reform when marching, & even then they can still shoot, making it quite hard not to be in a position to shoot at the enemy.

Like you said, they are supposed to be an annoyance and aren't designed to last long, like the pesky little wasp the interupts your afternoon picnic, annoying for a while, but can easily be killed if you catch it

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:43 pm 

Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
To stay with the Cavalry topic, I've heard cavalry in general was weakened in 8th edition, is this true and if not why do players make that claim?

Also, what's typically the best number and rank formation to run cavalry for greatest effectiveness? For my army that pertains to Wild Riders and Glade Riders.

-Primarch Roboute Guilliman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:50 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Same Q for # and rank for Heavy Cav in general if someone can.

Last edited by Bryden on Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:07 pm 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Cavalry was weakened in 8th there's no doubt about that. I still find a use for Cavalry though. Fast Cavalry especially is as useful as ever. They excel in blocking charge lanes and being a general nuisance, they're great for hunting down enemy Warmachines and they are very good at charging into an enemy flank alongside a larger ranked unit to the front. If the combat is won and the enemy breaks the Fast Cavalry are able to give chase and catch the unit while the larger unit is free to reform and move on elsewhere and not have to give chase.

Heavy Cavalry on the other hand are a more straight forward hammer type unit. They're not nearly as good as they were in 7th edition but then again in 7th edition Cavalry ruled the table so they needed a bit of a nerf. I'm still on the fence as to whether or not they over did it but I've still had success with Heavy Cavalry. They excel in taking on elite infantry or supporting flank charges to add major active combat res to the combat.

All in all Cavalry has very much been assigned to a more support oriented role which is perfectly fine. Most armies still have Heavy Cavalry that is still very much worth taking. For heavily armoured Cavalry I usually like to run 10 to 12 in two ranks. Fast Cavalry I usually take in smaller units.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:37 pm 
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

I think they definitely nerfed the heavy cavalry for the worse, not better. I'll reference the Empire Knightly Orders. They are pretty overpriced for their value, and although the knights of the white wolf got a pretty good boon with the new great weapons, they still have a low strength, toughness, and overall value.

Now with that said, im sure once a new edition comes out they will get fixed for the better, hopefully, but as of right now the random charge distances, strike at initiative, and "everyone attacks" rule changes have made heavy cavalry tough to use well.

Orks of the Steel Toez klan- 3000 pts
Empire-4000+ pts
Menoth- Kreoss, Reznik, and Feora +40 pts
Cygnar- battle box
Circle Orboros kaya + 20

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:59 pm 

Only 2 things really hurt Cavalry. Steadfast made larger units harder to break and unit strength was replaced by 2 ranks to disrupt the enemy's rank bonus. Second rank gets to attack now and supporting attacks are only to the front, so cavalry can use their speed and strong hitting power to do some good damage.

The big thing though is a strong unit of cavalry will not make a large unit break more than likely. These cavalry units though can rip apart war machines, smaller archer units, characters, monsters, chariots... and with the help of a larger unit can still add some good damage to the combat.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:51 am 

i have 2 questions about magic

in the casting section, it says that when selecting casting dice, at least one must be chosen from the power pool, but from what i've read, all generated power dice go to the power pool. You roll for the winds of magic, then you roll for each wizard. Is there something i am missing, or it is just refering to the fact that sometimes you get an item the lets you generate an extra power die or two

Also, another question about casting, the rules says that if you fail to cast, then your concentration is broken and you cannot cast another spell that turn. However when you read a little further on, it says that concentration in only broken if you roll 3 or less (unmodified)

I've not been able to find anything in the FAQ about these two questions. Have i just been interperating that section wrong or has anybody else picked up on this?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:41 am 

Ribbons Earned: RED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Awarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!
Korsarro-Khan wrote:
i have 2 questions about magic

in the casting section, it says that when selecting casting dice, at least one must be chosen from the power pool, but from what i've read, all generated power dice go to the power pool. You roll for the winds of magic, then you roll for each wizard. Is there something i am missing, or it is just refering to the fact that sometimes you get an item the lets you generate an extra power die or two
some characters like slaan can get a free dice to cast but cant use just that die thats what the rule is reffering to you must always use at least 1 power die per spell even if your wizard level would allow you to auto cast that spell w.o using any dice
Also, another question about casting, the rules says that if you fail to cast, then your concentration is broken and you cannot cast another spell that turn. However when you read a little further on, it says that concentration in only broken if you roll 3 or less (unmodified)
no concentration is broken if you fail to cast the spell or you roll a natual 1 or 2 if you roll a 3 on a die that is acceptable
I've not been able to find anything in the FAQ about these two questions. Have i just been interperating that section wrong or has anybody else picked up on this?

Or Frodo wore the ring
Did Corum kill the gods
Or where's the wonderland
Which young Alice had seen
Or was it just a dream
I knew the answers
Now they're lost for me

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:44 am 

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting Pledges
i have a question, what special rules and abilities do monstrous cavalry have over normal cavalry, infact what so special about cavalry?
i am sorry i don't know the rules very well but i have been going on the internet and finding info about warhammer and the rules but so far i only know the basic game mechanics like movement, assault, shooting and magic.
thanks in advance, anyone who answers has my gratitude.
... :mrgreen:

Khani I have to admit, you're awesome -wulfrun

In the grim darkness of the near future there is only.... Khani? -the airman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:01 am 

khani wrote:
i have a question, what special rules and abilities do monstrous cavalry have over normal cavalry, infact what so special about cavalry?
i am sorry i don't know the rules very well but i have been going on the internet and finding info about warhammer and the rules but so far i only know the basic game mechanics like movement, assault, shooting and magic.
thanks in advance, anyone who answers has my gratitude.

monstous cavalry only need 3 in a rank to get a rank bonus, and they also get the stomp rule, and monstrous cavalry always use the models highest wounds characteristic instead of the riders.

As for the benefits of cavalry, they have swiftstride, meaning they roll 3D6 and discard the lowest result for charging fleeing & pursueing. When cavalry are in combat, both the rider & mount can make attacks (only the rider can make supporting attacks from support ranks)

Also cavalry tend to be quite strong, tough and fast, making them very useful for flank attacks (fast cavalry are very good for this) or headlong charges.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:14 am 

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting Pledges
thanks alot, i have a lot of questions. one of which is what is a rank bonus? i know having ranks means you can have all the warriors in the front rank attack and have one attack from each soldier in the rank behind and that each rank you have gives you +1 to your morale roll to see if the unit flees (i know about pile ins), is that it? and also on the note of monsters what is stomp?
thanks a lot to anyone who answers.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:28 am 

For each rank you get +1 to your combat resolution up to a maximum of +3. Stomp is a single hit done by any monstrous cavalry, infantry or beast which always strikes last and hits at their basic strength against normal infantry or beasts (it does not work on Cavalry, other monstrous units etc). For example a Juggernaut of Khorne would get its two attacks in close combat and then a single automatically hitting strength 5 attack that always strikes last.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:59 am 

thats pretty good, i am just trying to size up the stuff in the tomb king arsenal. thanks guys so i think i'll just put out all my questions, this might take a while.
1.if the heiraphant dies what happens to skeletons?
2.what are monsterous abilites and what do they do?
3.what does decapitaitng strike do?
4.what is the difference between heroes and lords?
5.how many heroes and wizards can you take
6. what is so special about heroes other then being really strong
7. what do standards do other then add 1 to combat resolution, and what do musicians do?
8. and finnally, what is the force organistation chart for warhammer?

answering any of these questions will help me heaps and thanks in advance to any answers.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 360 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next