It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:35 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

I'm about to remake my gaming table. I've got one now, but that's pretty ugly, only a wallboard, covered with green... and even ragged at some places.

So I would like to make the board look something like this:

What I plan is, to make the sides of the table straight with emery paper (because it's in two sides) so it would be easy to smoothly put them together.

I would recover it with green, especially at the missing places. Then I would spray the whole, with brown paint, then paint with some watered down Black Ink. After that dried I would go over some Bleached Bone drybrush and at the end I would cover it with green static grass in large patches...

However I'm not sure about the colours of the paints and the glue to use for such vast area (I should not use small super glues though). What do you suggest?

Last edited by Nagash on Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Remaking table
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 12:12 pm 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
Nagash wrote:
However I'm not sure about the colours of the paints and the glue to use for such vast area (I should not use small super glues though). What do you suggest?

i hope that im understanding the question

IMO i would go to a hardware/home improvment store (not to sure what is in your area) and i would get some house hold paint mixed up in the color that you will be painting the majority of your base with as this will be far more cost effective than useing modle paint ( a quart(946ml) will cover 100 sqft) . this also goes for the glue too(get a large bottle of white(pva) or carpenters(yellow)glue).

pick a kichen/bath paint that has an eggshell finish as it will be durable without the shine

as far as the color goes that all depends on how much flock you plan to use. if it were me i would use a very dark browny/black (like a rich soil) as a basecoat so that that color will shoe threw the flock and sand a bit.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:03 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

I've got brown paint spray and green static grass for this purpose. So should I use PVA glue for the table itself? I will use simple green flock and I'll paint it with the brown. I'm also planning to paint it with watered down black ink, but not sure how to use that for such vast area.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:52 am 

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryGroup Build Badge #1Group Build Badge #3Participated in the Inaugural Painting PledgeHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
Nagash wrote:
I've got brown paint spray and green static grass for this purpose. So should I use PVA glue for the table itself? I will use simple green flock and I'll paint it with the brown. I'm also planning to paint it with watered down black ink, but not sure how to use that for such vast area.

If I understand everything right (which I´m not sure I do, had to google a few words to see what they meant) you want to make your surface looking like the picture. Then I shall recomend you a few things:

1: Brown undercoat, not green.
2: Sand, preferably mixed up with the brown undercoat, not too much but not to little either. You want your highlights to stick to something so it doesn´t look too flat.
You can also glue the sand on before painting the undercoat using watered down PVA glue, but that will waste more paint than necessary, belive me.
3: Really, there is no such thing as green paint on that picture (at least not on the ground). All the green is done with mixes of static grass and flock. Static grass is first glue on using watered down PVA and the flock are used to fill in the gaps (better explanation: glue first, then grass, then flock. No extra glue before the flock).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:15 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Apa1994 wrote:
Nagash wrote:

If I understand everything right (which I´m not sure I do, had to google a few words to see what they meant) you want to make your surface looking like the picture. Then I shall recomend you a few things:

1: Brown undercoat, not green.
2: Sand, preferably mixed up with the brown undercoat, not too much but not to little either. You want your highlights to stick to something so it doesn´t look too flat.
You can also glue the sand on before painting the undercoat using watered down PVA glue, but that will waste more paint than necessary, belive me.
3: Really, there is no such thing as green paint on that picture (at least not on the ground). All the green is done with mixes of static grass and flock. Static grass is first glue on using watered down PVA and the flock are used to fill in the gaps (better explanation: glue first, then grass, then flock. No extra glue before the flock).

I've never said I wanna use green paint. I said that I'm using brown on it, then watered down black ink then at the end, drybrush with bleached bone of the top of it. I believe when using PVA glue, then sand/flock will easily come off with time.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:28 am 

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryGroup Build Badge #1Group Build Badge #3Participated in the Inaugural Painting PledgeHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
Nagash wrote:
I would recover it with green, especially at the missing places. Then I would spray the whole, with brown paint, then paint with some watered down Black Ink. After that dried I would go over some Bleached Bone drybrush and at the end I would cover it with green static grass in large patches...

Then I clearly misunderstood that part. :mrgreen:

I think that that will work good, although I dont think you need spray paint, regular paint will work just fine. But I still recomend that you use some sand (if I haven´t misunderstood that as well :mrgreen: ) so that your bleached bone can stick to something.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:11 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Apa1994 wrote:
Nagash wrote:

Then I clearly misunderstood that part. :mrgreen:

I think that that will work good, although I dont think you need spray paint, regular paint will work just fine. But I still recomend that you use some sand (if I haven´t misunderstood that as well :mrgreen: ) so that your bleached bone can stick to something.

Well I was about to use simple green flock. That I would paint over with brown, then black ink and bleached bone drybrush. I prefered spray, because thats much quicker, but I still unsure how will I do the ink part of it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:50 am 

So if I understand you right (which we now by now I usually don´t) you are going to paint the flock brown and then black ink wash (I´ll come to that later) followed by bleached bone. So there wont be any of the green color in the flock showing through?

And the black ink wash I think you should just use regular black paint and water it down. You dont really need a ink.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:55 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Apa1994 wrote:
So if I understand you right (which we now by now I usually don´t) you are going to paint the flock brown and then black ink wash (I´ll come to that later) followed by bleached bone. So there wont be any of the green color in the flock showing through?

And the black ink wash I think you should just use regular black paint and water it down. You dont really need a ink.

All right all right, watered down paint or ink, nevermind, but yes, you understand well. And then I would cover it with green static grass in patches.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:12 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

I've upgraded some terrains to the style my table going to look like. What do you think?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:02 pm 
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge
Looks fantastic! Great work!

...Blue

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:36 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

blueductcleaner wrote:
Looks fantastic! Great work!

...Blue

Thanks. So do you think it would work with the board as well?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:44 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

I continued remaking some terrains for the would-be new board.

Here is an all-together pic of the remade terrain features:

And the details of the new ones:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:16 am 
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge
Nagash wrote:
Thanks. So do you think it would work with the board as well?

Oh, never noticed this question before, sorry dude.
I think they fit the board perfectly fine. It's not the same exact green but it looks close enough. The new pieces are awesome too dude! The small pond looks and the rocky hills look real.

...Blue

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:19 am 

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesGroup Build Badge #2Group Build Badge #3Group Build Badge #4Group Build Badge #5Group Build Badge #6Group Build Badge #7Group Build Badge #8Group Build Badge #9
Looks very nice! Your paint skills in the lake are really awesome!

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP5nOt ... Es9pt6qsow