It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The biggest and Badest
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:11 pm 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

So the only place thats local that will start carrying FoW will be ordering soon. So as this being a good chance to start an army, What is the Biggest, Baddest, Artillery in the game that is part of the allies stats wise? I want to base my army off of artillery and that seems like a good base to me.

Jason

DragonRider

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:12 pm 
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall

Soviet 80" range :P

Many of my best friends are Wargamers, and only a few of them are transvestites. Yours faithfully, MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall Khornate, Mrs. P.S. I have never kissed the moderators of the Miniwargaming forum.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:18 pm 

Hmm the 152mm right? But if I were to say... British artillery, which they are famous for, how do they fare in the game? Like, in history they were known for fantastic ordinance control and could create a "creeping Barrage" is anything like that available in the FoW?

Jason

DragonRider

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:23 pm 

i don't or ever will play the Tommies but i haven't heard anything like that they may have some special rules. but all soviet artillery has 80" firing bombardments even Tommy's 25 pounders do :D but an all arty force isn't gonna fair well when they get in close (which they will)

Many of my best friends are Wargamers, and only a few of them are transvestites. Yours faithfully, MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall Khornate, Mrs. P.S. I have never kissed the moderators of the Miniwargaming forum.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:29 pm 

I didnt say an ALL arty force, but I want a strong base of it. If I play the Brits, I'll probably go with some BR170 Priests, Just so they can be mobile enough to maneuver and still pack some intense Arty goodness.

I love the Churchill Mk IV and I'd definitely put some in there, and some solid infantry platoons. Well... I guess everything! I have no ideas what the rules are or how to play it but All the models just look sweet. And as for the Soviets, they are a definite option for me.

And Re-word that statement man, its terrible grammar, wheres The Airman when you need him?

Jason

DragonRider

Last edited by Jason on Sun May 09, 2010 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:33 pm 

I'd get Fortress Europe it's a great book with some good British lists in it :)
So i'd buy Fortress Europe a British rifle company and British paint set after that you can read through FE and decide where you wanna go :)

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:37 pm 

So wait, your saying that the British 25 pounders have the same range as the Soviet 152mm guns? and as for rules and lists, is there just like a generic rule book? or is it all "encounter" style rules that change kinda like cityfight and planetstrike from 40k?

Jason

DragonRider

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:39 pm 

Jason wrote:
So wait, your saying that the British 25 pounders have the same range as the Soviet 152mm guns? and as for rules and lists, is there just like a generic rule book? or is it all "encounter" style rules that change kinda like cityfight and planetstrike from 40k?

Jason

Fortress Europe is the "general" late war book, you'll still need the Core rulebook think of Fortress Europe as a giant codex for all the armies. and yes the 25 pounders have a 80" bombardment range :)

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:42 pm 

Ohh.... Jason like.... and 80" is a heckuva long distance! Well I guess that makes sense... They COULD shoot like 16 Km in real life... :D

But what are your opinions on different armies? Do all of them handle differently like in 40k? is they really distinct differences between armies that can be game changers? And is there particular armies that excel at certain points of combat styles?

Jason

DragonRider

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:45 pm 

Jason wrote:
Ohh.... Jason like.... and 80" is a heckuva long distance! Well I guess that makes sense... They COULD shoot like 16 Km in real life... :D

But what are your opinions on different armies? Do all of them handle differently like in 40k? is they really distinct differences between armies that can be game changers? And is there particular armies that excel at certain points of combat styles?

Jason

considering the average size table is 6' by 4' ya 80" is ridiculous and yes most armies are different Germans are smaller platoons but really tough to hit and kill Soviets actually fight with Companies instead of platoons and are generally low quality. Americans and British i really can't comment on I'd assume they're between Soviets and Germans

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:47 pm 

Makes sense, but by gods name man, put some punctuation in your posts!

Jason

DragonRider

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:48 pm 

Never the English language is my ho i do what i please with her

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:10 pm 

Eh, to each his own

Jason

DragonRider

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:57 am 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

The British do indeed have some very nice artillery. I don't remember by head, but they got several special rules for artillery. They are all explained in Fortress Europe.

The British tanks also has a special rule that favor for them - tow hooks. Every British tank is able to tow your guns!

I was thinking for a long time to start British myself, and one day I will. For me it's a close draw when it comes to British/German! :)

Keep us updated on your army. I'm interested!

-Lasse

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 4:49 pm 

Oh I will, and I definitely wrangled a few of friends into playing, it looks like I'll be facing Germans, USA and Russia.

Jason

EDIT** Looking at the website, and having the money converter being in USD, this game looks like its alot cheaper than GW games... 8)

Jason

DragonRider