It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:45 am 
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall

The carnifex was included in the 4th edition battleforce, which may still be found on ebay. The new battleforce is on GW's website.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:53 am 
Now we're getting somewhere...

ah thanks. like i said, just getting into it and wasn't sure.

plan on a starting army of the current Battleforce(3 warriors, 16 termagaunts, 16 hormagaunts, 8 gene stealers, and ripper swarms), a hivelord & hiveguards, a carnifex, and a trygon prime. from what i can see that would be a decent starting point and i can add in more units later to fill in the gaps.

Any suggestions, comments, insults?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:45 am 

morgue wrote:
Any suggestions

Battleforce is always a great start, however your first purchase needs to be the codex :wink:

morgue wrote:
comments

Carnifex has lost popularity in this new edition, however it makes a great conversion base for a Tervigon

morgue wrote:
insults?

You smell.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:59 am 

actually got the codex last night as a gift from the friend who is getting me involved in this hobby. He plays D&D and i bought him a book for that a few weeks back so he repaid the kindness.

The reason i was adding a carnifex in was at my friend's suggestion. Though yeah i can see from some other people's responses they aren't as nasty as they were in previous editions. I'm not too keen on doing too much conversion since this is my first real effort in this and i want to take it slow at first so any suggestions if i skipped the Carnifex? maybe go with a Pyrovore or 2 for the long range support?

and i apologize for my smelliness...it is Essence of Noob

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:06 am 

Biovores are what you're thinking, Pyrovores are the short range template monsters.

But depending on where you buy from, you can get 3 Hive Guard for about 50 dollars (I bought mine from Thewarstore.com) and they are a very vital part of the army.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:10 am 

thanks, there's a store about 20 miles from me that pretty much only sells miniature wargames stuff so i'll check there (its where my friend buys all his Imperial Guard models). like to give the local guys the business if i can.

Yeah Biovores is what i was thinking...names are all so similar to a noob haha.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:13 am 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Pyrovores... I still have a bad taste in my mouth from the fact that I bought one.. and THEN found out how hard to use they are. Far too specific.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:34 pm 

However, if you do plan on fielding Biovores, I would use the Pyrovore model instead because it is much cooler.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 4:17 pm 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Honestly, the basis of the battleforce is brilliant but all the other larger units you want to buy can be a bit over kill because you really won't get much use out of them until you get close to the 2000pts games and by that point, you'll just be sick of painting for a while. ;)

Honestly, I'd go with the battle force (hell, I own 2 and another one from a friend soon enough) and round it out with another box of warriors to build a Tyranid Prime for your HQ ... very point cheap and very useful. Zoa's area great heavy tank killers while the Hive Guard are definitely better at the lower armoured tanks.

So... off the bat, I'd buy the battle force, another box of warriors and then maybe 1 zoa and 2 hive guard. Of course you're going to expand and buy all the amazing 'nid models (like we all have) but for 1000pts, that's really a great starting block and a good basis...

Oh, and not everyone has lost favour on the 'fex. My Stompy still runs across the field and eats things... of course, he's armless for now.

Post subject: codex or rules?
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 3:18 pm 

Hi I am going to start play warhammer 40k.I think im going to play tyranids. I just want to know if im going to buy an codex or a rulebook first :?: . if the answear is rulebook shall i buy the rulebook or assasult on black reach :?: . Please send a message to my miniwargaming account.
rasmus981
cya guys!! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 3:42 pm 

Definitely buy Assault on Black Reach, you get a rulebook, templates, and dice! And after a couple games you decide you like the game enough to invest in it, purchase a Tyranid Codex and we'll help you from there! :D

Post subject: ty
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:19 pm 

ty for the information. :D :lol: :roll:

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 2:33 pm 

No problem! Welcome to the hobby!

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 5:05 pm 
Bronze Vault Member

Hi all

My little brother is busy and frustrated with exams, as he's finishing up this summer on his bachelor degree. I figured I'd be a nice big brother and buy him a graduation present. We're both into games of any kind, and he really wants to join in on the warhammer 40k scene. I asked him to check out all the races on the GW website, and he immediately fell in love with the tyranids (yikes, already struggling against Space Wolves).
Soooooo, I was thinking of buying him in for 1k points (without upgrades) with codex and all (a surprise present) because that's approximately the size of my army. I did some research and see that a lot of people have different ideas on starting up. I'll get him the battleforce for sure, and was thinking of throwing in a hive tyrant. I was wondering if I could get some opinions on whether to get him a carnifex or a couple of hive guards...maybe a zoanthrope as well? Since he's totally unexperienced, I figured I'd try to make the starting package as open as possible.

Thanks in advance.

-hakunamatartin

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 6:10 pm 

Definitely the Hive Guard/Zoanthrope. At 1k points you don't want to invest too many points into a large creature like a carnifex, tervigon, or Tyrannofex.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next