It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: My Crimson Fists
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:09 am 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge
Hi!

I'm not sure where I should post this, but since they are Space Marine, I suppose this work, right?

Those are the first Space Marines I painted... hell, they're the first minis I painted... aside from painting walls and stuff, I never actually touched a paint brush before >_>.

But, being a noob and having just finished a bunch of them, I want to share and I feel proud... I know those look like crap compared to what other people show to brag, but heh... they look good from a arm lenght distance, I swear!

So here goes... my Crimson Fists!

Assault Squad:

AoBR Dreadnaught:

Rhino:

AoBR Tact Squad with Sergeant using a power sword:

AoBR terminators

So yeah... I know I suck at painting skin and that my highlight really need work... but everybody need to start somewhere, right? :D

There is only the Emperor,
He is our shield and Protector!

Post subject: Re: My Crimson Fists
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:23 am 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Ribbons Earned: RED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.
I like them! I just think you need to go over the model around the highlights with the base colour to make them smoother. Also, you should try some washes on the faces to give them depth. Good job :)

Eldar: 3000+ points.
Skaven: 3000+ points.
Wood Elves 3500+ points.
Orks: 3000+ Points.
Imperial Guard: 500 Points.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:30 am 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
Great job! The colors are all very clean and crisp. Having said that, of course, they could do with a little bit of weathering if you're so inclined, particularly the Rhino. Also, you should drill out your gun barrels, or at least put a dot of black paint where there would be a hole. And like BoyMac said, a wash of Ogryn Flesh will really help improve the look of the skin. Washing the metallics with Devlan Mud and/or Badab Black would also be a good idea. All in all, it's a great job for your first try (much better than my first attempt). Keep practicing! :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:37 am 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
Hey, dont be so hard on yourself! It's blatantly obvious that you are your worst critic, and they are nothing like what you think they are. Considering they're your first models, I have to say they are absolutely fantastic. At no point can I see that you have gone 'out of the lines', heck, you've even highlighted them! Dont be so hard on yourself and great work! :mrgreen:

......chicken.....chicken.....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:03 am 
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge
They don’t look bad at all! Nice work really. Clean lines and solid colors are some of the first things to grasp as a painter. If I could make some recommendations, you haven’t asked for it but here goes anyway….

Have you researched washing, I can’t tell if these have been washed. Look it up, it adds all of the depth and shadows to the mini. You can even add it to these guys now.
When highlighting put a lot less paint on your brush.
Always thin you paint, even for basecoats. You want a milky consistency and want to apply multiple thin coats most of the time.
Metallics- I find it looks some what toyish when one paints his metallics straight on. Instead, base the area in black and then drybrush with the metallic. Some time’s a few drybrushes to get the texture you want.

Check out A. Luna's painting guide. Theres a lot of very useful information in there that I used when I first started painting.

Really though, great work on your first round of minis. For the future also you might want to consider removing mold lines and flashing and yes drilling out the gun barrels. It adds a sense of depth taking it from a toy to a well modeled and painted figure.

Can’t wait to see more from you. :wink:
Good luck.
…Blue

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:08 am 

Ribbons Earned: RED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.
Only if my fists looked that good :|

"Sizzles picture art is different though. He actually took the time to create the picture he posted using photo shop software. That is creativity. You newb trolls could learn something from him." -Vassago42

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:50 am 

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge
Thank you for the kind words :)

And I realised I hadn't ask for advice, but I'm glad for the advices :)

So in return, I'll ask even more question! I'm like a sponge absorbing your knowledge :)

- Washes:

Most of the metallics have received as 'ghetto' wash consisting of Chaos Black:Water. I think I may have put too much water since it doesn't seem to show all that much :\. I have to say I'm a bit intimidated at using 'real' wash. What kind of paint:water ratio should be used for that a chaos black wash or should I just stop being ghetto and buy some Blackdab?

I'm going to buy some Ogryn Flesh Wash next time I go to the shop I think, painting flesh is (in my opinion) my biggest glaring problem, so anything to make that look better is good. I'm sure glad SM are encased in space suit, I'd go crazy paiting a fleshy army.

- Go over the model around the highlights with the base colour to make them smoother.

I'm worried I'll end up removing the high light all together, my brush control isn't the greatest.

I've been thinking about doing a light dry-brush instead of highlighting in the more conventional way...

- You should drill out your gun barrels, or at least put a dot of black paint where there would be a hole.

I like the idea of a hole, it'll make it easier to put some black on/around it, and it'll act as a guide. I'm just not sure what drill to use, my Dewalt would obliterate my minis

- Always thin you paint, even for basecoats. You want a milky consistency and want to apply multiple thin coats most of the time.

I've read a lot about thinning your paint, but this is another thing I've haven't done because I'm afraid to ruin the paint... how much water:paint should be used? Do you put the water directly in the GW paint pot or do you pour it all into some other pot?

It's really basic stuff, but I'm still playing with the bases :oops:

Metallics- I find it looks some what toyish when one paints his metallics straight on. Instead, base the area in black and then drybrush with the metallic. Some time’s a few drybrushes to get the texture you want.

Ooh, I'm going to try that.

My metal looks good/okay from a distance, but close up (as on those pictures) I really don't like it... so thanks for the tip :)

Once again, thanks :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:57 am 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Ribbons Earned: Group Build Badge #1Group Build Badge #2Participated in the Inaugural Painting PledgeHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
Very nice work. You have received some great advice already and it seems you are putting it into practice and wanting to find out more. My only crit (and a minor one at that) is that these guys look more like Ultramarines with that shade of blue. Crimson Fists should be a darker blue to make them standout from the UM. My suggestion as you move into the washes and purchase some, is to pick up a pot of the Asurman Blue and give the armor a wash of it. You may have to touch up some of the highlights, but I think in the end the resultant color and depth will be worth it. Looks like you are off to a great start though bud. :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:48 pm 

Well, atm the base coat is Regal Blue and the high light are Ultramarine Blue. They actually look very dark in normal lighting, those shots were taken by a friend who's a professional photographer... so in a white box with 2 spots.

I will probably invest in a Necron Abyss fondation next time I go to the shop, the plan being to use black primer, coat with Necron Abyss and than follow up with watered layers of Regal Blue (thanks for the tip blueductcleaner) and Ultramarine blue high lights. That is assuming I have the patiance tho, as while I want to improve, my main goal is to get my entire army painted to tabletop standard.

That being said, I'm writing Asurman Blue wash down... you guys are certainly making more intrigued about washes :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:14 pm 

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge
Tarkand wrote:

It's really basic stuff, but I'm still playing with the bases

We all were at some point, no need to feel embaressed. Just make sure you put the tips to good use and show us some quality minis. :wink:

Tarkand wrote:
Thank you for the kind words :)

- Washes:

water ratio should be used for that wash or should I just stop being ghetto and buy some Blackdab?
>>>Any wash can be made with any color by simply mixing water to paint 5:1. Flow improver/release/aid can also be used in place of water and I personally recommend it. This ratio is based on paints with the same consistency as GW paints and it always differs paint to paint within ranges as well. (ie. Some GW piant need more or less)
A lot of people say that badab and devlan mud are two really good washes for a quick tabletop army. I would still recommend to use a darker toned wash of the base color that you are washing.(ei. Blue base: wash dark blue, Orange base: wash red/brown. Try to think or notice what shadows are produced by what colors.)

- Go over the model around the highlights with the base colour to make them smoother.

I'm worried I'll end up removing the high light all together, my brush control isn't the greatest.
>>>So then go back in and highlight again. Your looking for about a 3:1 ratio (water:paint) for highlights. Try touching your hands together and resting them on the table/desk for maximum control.

I've been thinking about doing a light dry-brush instead of highlighting in the more conventional way...
>>>NO! NO! NO!. Seriously though do it if you wish but they say that drybrushing is the easiest technique to learn but the hardest to break. It's a rather 'dirty' form of painting in my opinion. You've got good control for your level just practice what your doing.
- You should drill out your gun barrels, or at least put a dot of black paint where there would be a hole.

I like the idea of a hole, it'll make it easier to put some black on/around it, and it'll act as a guide. I'm just not sure what drill to use, my Dewalt would obliterate my minis
>>>Look around for a 'pin vise'. It's basically a hand operated drill with a chuck like your dewalt. Some don't have the chuck, get one with it. You will also need to find some hobby drill bits. Locate a hobby train store or order from MWG.com's Store.

- Always thin you paint, even for basecoats. You want a milky consistency and want to apply multiple thin coats most of the time.

I've read a lot about thinning your paint, but this is another thing I've haven't done because I'm afraid to ruin the paint... how much water:paint should be used? Do you put the water directly in the GW paint pot or do you pour it all into some other pot?
>>>I bought a white palette thing from michaels that has divets in them. I mix my paints in this while I paint. I would recommend against mixing your paints in the pots for now. Tackle that when your ready and leave your paints alone. Basecoats 1:1 (water:paint)

[i]Metallics- My metal looks good/okay from a distance, but close up (as on those pictures) I really don't like it... so thanks for the tip :)
>>> :wink:

Always happy to help. If you've got any more questions please feel free to ask. Some of us love this stuff! :P
...Blue

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:14 am 

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryGroup Build Badge #2Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
Like everyone else said, overall great painting, especially for a beginner. The painting looks clean and your first attempts at highlighting are decent.. I know I didn't eve start highlighting until a few months to about half a year after I started painting, and it has only recently become something that comes relatively easy (Albeit I still have a lot of room for improvement).

I think adding a wash would be your best bet for adding that bit of depth these minis are needing. I personally like Badab Black and Devlun Mud a alot... Some would say too much. In my marines I painted the whole minis with a Badab Black wash and essentially it makes your minis look a shade or two darker and much dirtier. I would highly recommend either a Gryphonne Sepia Wash for the face, or as others said an Ogryn Flesh wash.

As to some of your questions, I know Blue already answered a few, but here are my takes on some of them. You can fully disregard my comments though, Blue is a better painter than I ;) :lol:

Washes:
As stated above I would recommend washing the minis, but I think that as a beginner creating your own washes is slightly difficult, you of course can, and they probly will turn out better if you know what you're doing, but since you're new it is possible to mess up and ruin some minis. Personally I think all the of GW washes are very user friendly, and usable right out of the pot. Investing in some would probly be a wise decision.

Highlighting:
I'll tackle Drybrushing and Highlight one in the same. Drybrushing is widely considered the first technique to learn, and the first technique to forget. It is a good way to add a bit of detail for the inexperienced, but it is sloppy and does not look anywhere near as good as highlighting does. As for highlighting, I personally use a slightly watered down paint with a super fine detail brush. If you haven't invested in a 10/0 brush or a 20/0 brush yet, I would recommend it. They have been instrumental in my painting, so much so that I almost exclusively use a 10/0 brush. (The other major brush I use is a flat 5/0 I think). You can look up these sizes online, or just go to any art store and they'll know what you're talking about, but anyway, highlighting is a very difficult skill to master, but I do encourage you to keep trying. A smaller brush will help, but also learning how to keep a steady hand is also important. Try to stay away from Soda or large doses of caffeine if you know you're going to need a steady hand for a particular paint job.

Watering Down Paints/Mixing:
Its very hard to mix GWs paints, but if you want to I would recommend getting a few eye droppers and a cheap painting pallet. Mixing colors helps in painting a lot (especially layering and highlighting) and also makes watering down your paints easier. As to watering down GWs paint pots, what I usually do is have a glass of clean water (probly cold-ish) next to me and dunk my pinky into it, then shake a drop into the pot. For most paints I add about 2 to 4 drops until it runs easier, you'll notice the difference after you shake it up. For Foundation Paints sometimes you need a bit more water, but not a whole lot. You won't need to add water every time you paint with that particular color, but just keep tabs on when it starts to gunk up or isn't flowing right, then add more water. I did this with probly all of my GW paints and they're still fine. Although, I would recommend buying Vallejo paints as well ;) Personally I like them better cause you can mix easier (They're in dropper tubes) and I think the quality is a little better. However I still very much recommend the GW washes and Foundations.

Well, there is my book of a post, I hope it wasn't too long, and I also hope it helps.

Keep up the good work on your minis.

--Mars

Chaos Daemons - WIP
Tau - WIP

War, war never changes.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 12:34 am 

Okay, so I got some dark blue ink...

Now's the question of how/when/where do I use it?

Can I just put it on top of my already painted guy or is there a specific time to put (mainly after or before high lights, which is usually my last step)?

I vaguely remember something about dishwashing liguid too? :?:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:35 pm 

Well, since so many people said they wanted to see more work from me, I figured I'd call your bluff ;P.

Note that those things were painted at various stage, some of them are now 'quite old' (I think I finished my captain and predator like a few weeks after this post!) and other are newer and should hopefully show a better skill level.

You can click on the thumb to get a bigger picture and then click on the picture to get a bigger zoom that shows all the ugly flaws :P

Bear with me please, apparently a lot of dust and dogs air got on my models and I didn't realise it until AFTER the picture were shot >_> yay noob mistakes.

Another Rhino (Goal is for it to be as identical as possible to the other one. I did this one very fast)

AoBR Captain (Did very early after the original post, this was my first 'I'm going to try and make this guy look good' piece. He has around 14 colors, up from the usual 7 on my Tactical. The sword is green-ish so it can pass as a Relic Blade if needed :P)

Predator (Did very early as well, I don't think it's all that well done, but it does the job. It is magnetized tho, which is pretty nifty)

Vindicator (Put a lot more time and effort in that one. I think it shows. Kinda ironic tho, because I use the Pred a lot more)

CC Scouts (I did those quick, as I wanted more points for a 1,500 game. The blue sword represent a power sword. I experienced with flesh wash and different skin color on them, not my best results (Close up to see better).

Another Tactical Squad (This is a Battle Force Tact squad. I did it quickly and some of assembling is a bit wonky... some of the SM look like they will fall over. I don't think I put as much bling as I need on the Sarge, he looks a bit plain. I actually like my first Tact squad better... but I may just be harder on myself).

Land Speeder Storm (I like this one. Took a lot of time. Experimented with flesh wash on the scout's face with better result this time. The 'heavy flamer' is actually two flamer stuck together with a tank and magnetised to the ramp. I also have the heavy bolter painted, but it's not on this picture. I took the time to paint the inside of the cockpit too.)

Assorted Special Weapon Marines (Those are marines with special weapons assembled from the Battle Force and/or the a Devastator box, they usually go in with a Tactical Squad obviously... nothing very fancy to say here, although I really like the way my plasma core on my plasma cannon came out. My Las Cannon guys are pretty bad tho...)

Land Raider (Spend a lot of time on this one. >_> I really like the way it came out).

Assault Terminator (And those guys are pretty much the best I can do at this point. I think the highlight are decent, my colors are starting to come together. I sadly overwashed the shield, so the gold and bronze looks very similar, however I'm very satisfied with the face of the Sergeant. Looking at those guys makes me feel like I'm getting there.)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by Tarkand on Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:58 pm 

looks good, i especialy like your tanks and dreadnaughts

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:19 am 

Nice work bro... Your army is really comming together nicely. As far as the washing questions above. Sorry I didn't notice them sooner; You want to apply a wash immediately after the basecoat. Then go in and do your highlights. Once you get a bit more advanced you can wash in between your highlight layers. :wink:

The new minis look good. The termies are great, I really like their hammers. Keep up the great work bro. Can definitely see improvement already! :D

...Blue