It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:09 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

ya its looking good, great job every one :wink:.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:58 pm 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
Month: August 2009
Goal: 150 Points

Army: Tau Bork'an Sept 1500pts
Month's Army Contribution: 156 Points (6 Over Goal)
1x HQ Commander Shas'o w/ Burst Cannon, Flamer, Fusion Blaster, Missile Pod, Plasma Rifle, Multi-Tracker, Shield Generator.
Photographic Proof:
Comments:
I really liked painting this guy up, although i was nervous at first because i thought it was gonna turn out really bad. But I'm satisfied about the results, and i had a lot of fun painting this guy up. The only thing was i didn't like having to paint all the upgrades and equipment and i think that's gonna be a harder thing to do when i have to paint up 3 squads of crisis suits and painting all the options.

Curious about the avatar? check this.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:56 pm 
Gold Vault Member

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

3 battlesuits.... should be somewhere around 200 points no?:P

Me: "was eating cake whilst drinking. was good"
Jackmrnorris: "This man is close to nirvana. It is known."

CMON Gallery
Youtube

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:57 pm 
Bronze Vault Member

Hey guys,

So I finally got a digital camera, and am submitted the first month's worth of Imperial Guard!

For August, I painted up three Chimeras and Commissar Yarrick (The point total comes in at 350, so I overshot my requirement this month)

Some brief comments about the process:

I could paint Chimeras all day, simply a joy the way the codex has them done. The rest of my tanks have a camo scheme, but the solid catachan green made these guys a joy to paint, quick and painless!

Commissar Yarrick was a lot tougher, for sure. I typically spend anywhere from 1-3 hours working on my heroes. I've just started using washes, they add an absolutely incredible effect! For him the biggest challenge was in the details, so I just tackled it one color at a time. I think on these loner projects it's always good to bear in mind that if your hand gets shaky and you need a break, you can always come back to it!

Anyways, what I've seen of everyone else's work looks absolutely amazing. Hope you guys enjoy my post, and I look forward to next month!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:36 pm 
Silver Vault Member

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.
Ok, everyone to this point has been updated, 6 days left! keep posting! Great work so far everyone!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:33 pm 
Silver Vault Member

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.
Ok, I still need to put some work into my guard, or I may have to take a joker on them (uhoh) but I have my Dark Angels painted enough to count them as done.

My pledge for them is 1500 points total, so 150 points per month. I have exceeded that with one shot.

Deathwing Terminator Squad - Assault Cannon, 2x Chainfist - 255

Highs: trying out a new method for paying down the basecoat. I am using the army painter bleached bone spray to lay down the basecoat, washing it with gryphonne sepia, and then painting on several layers of very thin bleached bone to build up the surface color. I like the results, but not too hot on having to do so many coats to get good coverage.

Still to do:
basing, some minor weathering.

Preview of next month:
I am working on some hq models for them. I have a kitbashed Belial and a Chaplain in Termie armor that I started around the same time as the termie squad. Will probably finish up one of them for next month and I will still be well ahead on points.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:08 pm 
MiniWarGaming Regular

Army: High elf (1200 pts)

This month: 8 white lions (120 pts)

Since my army is small (only 1200 pts), i'm gonna take my time to paint it to a good tabletop standard. On my white lions, I applied lots of watered down coats in order to get smooth blendings. I also did a few customizations on the bases and on my command group. I only had 8 to do, so I could take my time.
I really enjoyed painting the cloaks and the axes, since they are the 2 items that represent white lions.

What is left to do: I still have to paint the banner, but I'm gonna keep it for the end since I want to do a freehand on it. I was also gonna apply a las highlight of skull white, but my pot was empty!

Next month: For next month, im gonna paint 5 white lions and 5 spearmen.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:21 pm 
Silver Vault Member

I am tossing a Joker on my Imperial Guard. I changed the color scheme since I really hated working with the Catachan green for the previous armor, and repainting them to a new scheme was taking too long.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:11 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Group Build Badge #2Group Build Badge #3Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
Phew! I was finally able to grab a camera and snatch a shot of this month's batch of models. So here we go:

1x Sternguard w/ combi-melta, 3x Tactical Marines, 1x Attack Bike w/ multi-melta for a total of about 130 points, which is 20 points short of my monthly goal, but is easy enough to make up in a Space Marine army.

So, now to start work on next month's goal!

Ork: CHARGE!
Tau: #@$%.

Tau: FIRE!
Ork: #@$%.

Terminator: Hello.
Tau and Ork: #@$%.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:15 pm 
Now we're getting somewhere...

I finally got over my attempts at perfectionism and took this picture.

As shown, I painted 10 Necron Warriors and 2 Scarab Swarms, so 204 points.

Overall, I am happy with the result, but I didn’t intend for them to turn out so dark after the black wash. In the future I may try a lighter basecoat. I had a hard time with line highlights, and eventually gave up . . . although I should have kept practicing. Experimenting with the crystals on the bases was fun. They didn’t turn out that great, but I know how to improve for future attempts.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:17 pm 
MiniWarGaming Regular

cool I like your purple bases!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:06 am 
Now we're getting somewhere...

Thanks, Aenarion. I think the purple looks pretty good with the dark bronze of the actual models, but some people question my choice of colors, for some reason.

I am very impressed with each of the entries in this thread. We are going to get a lot of good looking armies out of this challenge.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:10 am 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
MercyKiller wrote:
Thanks, Aenarion. I think the purple looks pretty good with the dark bronze of the actual models, but some people question my choice of colors, for some reason.

I'd kinda question it myself as normally with the bases they're painted so as to blend in with the terrain they're envisioned to be sitting on. The purple does look fine with the the models and all but I'd be curious if you have a purple board that you play on?? (Like a purplish Mars type board or amethyst caverns or the like)

MercyKiller wrote:
I am very impressed with each of the entries in this thread. We are going to get a lot of good looking armies out of this challenge.

Definitely some good looking models appearing in this to be sure!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:22 am 
MiniWarGaming Regular

Quote:
I'd kinda question it myself as normally with the bases they're painted so as to blend in with the terrain they're envisioned to be sitting on. The purple does look fine with the the models and all but I'd be curious if you have a purple board that you play on?? (Like a purplish Mars type board or amethyst caverns or the like)

Well I think the purple blends well with the crystals on the bases. If he has some on his table it would be even better.