All times are UTC - 5 hours

Should The Laser rifle be character only
Poll ended at Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:21 am
Yes 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
No 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 2
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:21 am 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

The laser rifle is awesome. but is is to good to be used by normal units.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:22 pm 
MiniWarGaming Regular

Which is why they'll probably be reserved for elites, hence why there are already units built for them.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:24 pm 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Ribbons Earned: Group Build Badge #2Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges
You posted this twice. I am locking the other thread.

Bought: [----[+]---------------] 448/1750
Assembled: [--[+]-----------------] 232/1750
Painted: [+]-------------------] 0/1750

Click for videos of Tyranids and Terrain! (Coming Soon)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:41 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Laser weapons should be only rare due to complexity of producing the crystals that can create such powerful beams from energy.

But too stong?
Hmm....
Yes and no...
When you compare it to rail gun... laser is a stick against a cannon... literally.
Railguns round fired at speed of 2 to 5 mach speed [human would explode to pieces after such hit :D, perfect for snipers... and it's not too hard to create rail gun... at least it won't be in future in primal horizon world]
Lasers beam for soldiers would be just as strong as classical guns, but... it would ignore some of the armour by "burning" trough it. [it causes high temperature in small spot causing materials to vaporise]

Bad thing about the lasers is this... take a light rejective material (something like mirror but just little bit better :P ) it would redirect some of the beam, and if aimed correctly :D even back to the laser gun wielder :P

I dont have to compare laser weapons with classical guns cause... you all know how guns work and benefits of different rounds, guns.

It should, in my oppinion, be rare weapon little bit stronger than ordinary guns.
But! laser cannons... that quite nasty thing :S

Oh! i forgot to mention :D
If laser would fire one beam for...let's say 10 seconds :P
You would maybe over-heat it so it couldnt fire for the next round... but then :D with that beam you could "spray" entire enemy squad.
That's the true benefit of laser :P

(bullet can be dodged... light cannot :twisted: )

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:45 pm 
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge
He's talking about the acutal game, also have you read the Primal Horizan fluff? Because it seems that you think there is a lot of material and furtuiest material then. The case is actaully that they lost a lot of their tech.

"I nuke posts like it's 2012"-Asrodrig

Visit my Youtube channel: Lootaful
Yeah Loota was taken.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:36 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Well, it is true, maybe they can'r reproduce most of the things, like some advanced matterials, complex machines for transport, battle tanks [futuristic versions!] aircrafts, space technology etc. etc.

But, surely some of the "artifact" technology pieces survived and are used or under study of scientists who are trying to reproduce it (with more or less success)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:01 am 

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries
Ariyaris wrote:
(bullet can be dodged... light cannot :twisted: )

Tell that to my Black-Hole-Generator cannon. Who just leveled the playing field?

Cannon implies something big, but the singularities it produces actually have no volume. Apparently light has zero trans fats.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:10 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

are you aware that you have to have an energy of supernova from the star several times bigger than our sun to create singularity (a small one)
:D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:58 am 

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries
I didn't think my gun was that powerful. Its weird how it only eats light.

And other things... ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:44 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

hehehe :D
Black holes are... very powerful :D
So powerful that not only it eats everyting but also bends and curves the fabric of time and space :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:02 am 

According to the really smart people in my buddies dorm all gravity distorts space and time. Black holes are the only force (other than the Elven gods) that mess with it enough to notice. And it's also eats light.

I'm sur some other things could distort it such as other celestial... stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:34 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

"Kip Thorne , Black holes and time warps"
Read that book if you want more info :)
If you want to know mathematics of it, relativity, space-time etc... oh well, i shall ask then my profesors to tell me which books do they recomend.
(but that's tough math)

Btw. Black holes are not force but objects, dead stars, gravity is the force that curves the space and time.
By curving the space you will not change light you will see it distorting but it's strength and frequency would still remain the same. It's like when you put your hand in water and you see it little bit longer/shorter or like it's broken on the area where there is connection of air and water. Your hand is still you hand, unchanged, and completely the same.
It's the same with space curvature, and if you were in curved space watching the laser beam it would be to you as straight line, if you leave curved space you'd see it distorted again (but it's the same light, with same characterictis)
But by distorting the space you could change it's direction.
(but you can't curve the space... only mass can do that and mass to curve the space so much would anihilate the Earth and our solar system)

Anyways, we moved too far away from the original subject.

Why would you distort light beam of laser gun?
You can simply take some very light reflective material or things [mirrors]. But the issue arises, what if the wave lenght of the laser beam is such that is can ionise that light reflective material... then you have no use of it at all cause the laser beam is going to melt it, burn trough it and destroy it's internal structure in the area where it is being absorbed (striking the surface )
Secondly, you don't have to have visible laser beam, it can be made of coherent, strong energy light that is beyond visible spectrum. Microwaves, Ultraviolet waves etc. So you only see the hole in your victim.

You can also have big lasers which are mounted on vehicles and used not to kill 1 guy but to incinerate entire squad. (it' simply heats it up like the magnifying glass causes sun rays to burn paper... but the laser does it much faster and more violent )

If you want to protect yourself from lasers, keep in mind that light is electro-magentic radiation. You can use magentic fields to shield you from the light, ionised particles, radiation, particle guns etc.