Play test

Want to play test Primal Horizon? Then check out this area.
Wattox8
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Play test

Post by Wattox8 » Sat May 30, 2009 6:46 am

Had a play today with one of my friends who doesn't even play any miniature war games, was pretty good fun.

Rules were pretty easy to interpret, the to hit system is excellent.

we played marauders vs the shield, the shield won, through luck almost due to my friend hitting his dogs with his own missile launcher, teams were pretty balanced and we had 220 points each.

the only thing i think would be to give the dogs a higher Armour piercing value or cc skill as they didn't really serve their purpose of getting in close combat and destroying my ranged unit.

Keep up the good work miniwargaming
Word Bearers - 1000 points (growing)

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Re: Play test

Post by miniwargaming » Sat May 30, 2009 8:17 am

I could always give the dogs some sort of fear rule that forces an extra morale test on the charge or something like that.

Dogs can't really penetrate armour, but the above rule might help them out.

I haven't actually play tested the new armies yet. I'll be doing that next week.

Thanks for the feedback!

Matthew

Silvester10528
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Silvester10528 » Sun May 31, 2009 9:45 pm

Matt,

I mostly agree that "dogs can't really penetrate armour", but you might want to watch some video of attack dogs being trained or pitt-bull attacks...

It's not all about "penetrating" the armour. Attack dogs (and police dogs) are trained to bring a person down to the ground and either immobilize them or just keep them down long enough for a person to get there and handle the situation.

A pitt-bull can all but rip your arm off and can easily break bones during an attack!
Pitts trained for dog fighting are taught to mame their opponent so that it can't fight back - a guy I used to know trained his pitt to go for the eye/face of the other dog first so it could THEN go for the throat with less risk. He was mainly training his dogs for boar hunting, but he too confident in his dogs abilities for him not to have fought them at least once.

Maybe dogs could cause a "fall down" or entanglement type of situation...
I'm confident that most "warriors" could kill a dog inb a one-on-one CC fight, but I doubt they would come away unscathed.

You might also want to modify the shooting into assault rule for dog handlers...
In real life, if I send in trained attack/police dogs and they "knock down" all of the opposition, I should be able to walk up and shoot everyone with no fear of hitting my dogs. But how often does one handler have a enough dogs at his disposal to immobilize a whole squad of opponents??

AlexDemille
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by AlexDemille » Sun May 31, 2009 11:42 pm

I think the dogs should have a knock back value like the shotgun on the charge - make it like a 8+ with armour modification.

DracoAvian
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by DracoAvian » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:08 am

Maybe when in melee combat they lower the capabilities of the enemies. Perhaps a "go for the throat" ability, an instant kill rule or something to that effect.

Dogs rush in and hold the men to the ground. Very minimal losses on each side. Next turn a squad of regulars runs in and dispatches the enemies easily with the help of the dogs.
Sometimes I play all the Elves. Sometimes I play Eldar or IG. But between school and warhammer, how's a fella supposed to eat?

Silvester10528
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Silvester10528 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:17 am

I think a dogs attack should have a slightly different ability to affect armored vs un-armored opponents..

It might be easiest to give them and AP value like a weak gun. So they can still "knock down" anyone, but only inflict wounds on un-armored opponents.

Irebryn
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by Irebryn » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:23 am

I think that there should be a high chance of being scared once the dogs manage to get in melee. I know that all i have to see is a dog running at me to start freaking out.

Also, you should also make it so that when the dogs 'disable' an oppenent. You get -2 to wounding them(and maybe even a critical hit added on for that turns shooting), and when it comes to shooting into melee rules, reduce the likelihood to wound/hit your own animals.(Much easier to accidentally shoot your bud who's grappling with an enemy than a dog hanging onto a dudes arm.)