Help against Admech

In the future there is only war... Discuss the Warhammer 40K game right here...
Mofoman78
First post! Good job, now post more...

Help against Admech

Post by Mofoman78 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:14 pm

I have an Ultramarines army and I play my friend regularly and he has Ad Mech. He has beaten me 4 times on the trot and and one occasion has even tabled me. I played him last week with an army consisting of:

HQ
Calgar - 200
Lieutenant - 74

Troop
Tactical - 178
Intercessor - 90
Intercessor - 90

Elite
Terminator - 235
Venerable - 197

Fast Attack
Inceptor - 180

Spearhead

HQ
Chronus - 35

Hvy
Hellblaster - 165
Predator - 192
Landraider - 314

I think my problem is that I keep trying to take him on in a shoot out and I’m constantly coming up second best due to his invuln saves.

If any one can help me with any tactics or recommend any models that will do the business I would be very grateful because I would just love to wipe that smug grin off of his face

Nexus_Crawler
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: Help against Admech

Post by Nexus_Crawler » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:59 pm

The issue that I am seeing is that your list has smaller units that do not stand up well to high AP shots or volume of fire. If you have the models, I would drop the Land Raider and those terminators and try using some dev squads to thin the ranks as he makes his way to you. O
--Necrons, Dark Angels--
--Connoisseur of fine Cheese--

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:49 pm

Another issue I'm seeing is you have only two vehicles that could easily be focus fired on by anti tank weapons. If you want to be more optimized, you could drop the vehicles and go all infantry so that your opponent's anti tank weapons are wasted. Also, what are your loadouts, what mission do you usually play, how much terrain is on the table, and how many points do you usually play (the last one because I'm too lazy to do the math right now :P ).

Overcharged plasma weapons do wonders against everyone, but they only work if you have a way of rerolling the hits. The hellblasters should always stick close Calgar so you can reroll hits of 1.

Nihlathak
Silver Vault Member

Post by Nihlathak » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:40 am

As both an AdMech and DW-player, I'd probably ditch the land raider as well, especially if you know he's fielding plasma kataphrons or neutron lasers. Without knowing what he's fielding I can't give any specific recommendations other than the bog standard ones like "Remember to use LoS". (Which is important, especially since dakkastelans can't adjust.

If you absolutely have to keep the land-raider, kit it out with lascannons, position devs with las and missiles, then try to take out the S8+ weaponry. If he knows you're not running flyers you probably have two neutron onagers to deal with, so again use LoS to avoid the land raider popping at turn one. The way I like to use my Onagers is to place them out of LoS turn one since they have the PotMS equivalent, so you could do the same with a land raider. Really not what you want it to do but when you risk exploding mid-field you might want to use it as a tank killer first, then transport when it's safe and the onagers are dead.

That is, unless his bubblewrap is on point then assaults may be an option, but then again.. You run ultras, unless you invest in CQ Termies or THSS Vanguards you won't really hurt the onagers or kastellans at all unlike death company +1 to wound goodness. The latter is way better than the former, but you don't list what you have of other models so might as well mention them.
AdMech - Stygies VIII - 2000 pts
Deathwatch - 2000 pts
Imperial assassins - Culexus - Calidus - Kitbashed Vindicare
Imperial knight magnetized to all variants.

Nexus_Crawler
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Nexus_Crawler » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:42 am

What sort of stuff is your friend bringing in his list?
--Necrons, Dark Angels--
--Connoisseur of fine Cheese--